Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Darkflight - The Hereafter 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Darkflight - The Hereafter

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3239.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Darkflight - The Hereafter

Good album, musically, but I agree about the clean vocals... they are terrible and it's the first time they use them... if I remember correctly. I guess you get used to them, but still...

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unlike the reviewer, I don't think the mix of black and doom that Darkflight offer is particularily unique or unheard before... I mean, it sounds very genreric, no? it reminds of Raventale, Forest Stream, Black Autumn, Coldworld etc... It doesn't strike me as terribly original, at any case.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:55 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Unlike the reviewer, I don't think the mix of black and doom that Darkflight offer is particularily unique or unheard before... I mean, it sounds very genreric, no? it reminds of Raventale, Forest Stream, Black Autumn, Coldworld etc... It doesn't strike me as terribly original, at any case.

I think it was more like that when the first album came out... around 2003... now it's definitely "heard that before" stuff...

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:19 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Merchant of Doom wrote:
baphomet wrote:

I think it was more like that when the first album came out... around 2003... now it's definitely "heard that before" stuff...

Haha. Hasn't everything been "heard that before" by now? :)

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:49 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:

That's a little disingenuous, I feel - you're not exactly reeling off a list of top-flight names there, ones that people would actually think of if asked to name their top ten Black/Doom bands: one actual Black/Doom band, a Death/Doom outfit with blackened bits and a couple of ambient/doomy-inclined DSBM acts, most of whom started releasing albums well after Darkflight did. Even if you added bands like Sadael to it, which I probably would, it's still not really making the case that Darkflight are some kind of generic Black/Doom act - more that you can always find something soundalike if you listen to enough albums, over enough years!

Anyways, I like it. I haven't heard too many releases in that vein in the last couple of, maybe several, years, so I find it quite a refreshing change. Don't even mind the clean vocals, personally: they're not the greatest ever, but I don't hate the way they fit with the music. Though I do agree Sans âme is a bit off-piste for the album. Not their best release, maybe (that's probably 'Perfectly Calm'), but I'd still call it a good effort to keep evolving their core sound.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, maybe there're not that many band playing this hybrid style, and if Darkflight are more original than I thought, that doesn't make them more interesting. It's a bit so-so to me. :;):

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unisena wrote:

Quote:
Haha. Hasn't everything been "heard that before" by now? :)

You know what I mean! :p

Anyway, you get used to the clean vocals and I'm pleased that musically they are still on track...

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

ah bah, I'll give them another closer listen, if everybody seems to agree... Can I get a download link?

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
ah bah, I'll give them another closer listen, if everybody seems to agree... Can I get a download link?

I've put a link for you in the "other place"... :D

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am
Forum User

The album is streaming here:

https://symbolofdomination.bandcamp.com ... after-2017

Personally I love this band, not because it's a very original sound, but because of the quite perfect execution. The melodies are always great, the vocals are perfect and on the whole it's an extremely pleasing album, quite easy-listening, without any rough edges. So it fits perfectly a nice niche=)

And still I do not think there are that many bands doing the same thing (the ones baphomet listed are similar in theory but are definitely not quite as doom as Darkflight and for me, they convey a different feeling=)

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:32 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
The album is streaming here:

https://symbolofdomination.bandcamp.com ... after-2017

Personally I love this band, not because it's a very original sound, but because of the quite perfect execution. The melodies are always great, the vocals are perfect and on the whole it's an extremely pleasing album, quite easy-listening, without any rough edges. So it fits perfectly a nice niche=)

And still I do not think there are that many bands doing the same thing (the ones baphomet listed are similar in theory but are definitely not quite as doom as Darkflight and for me, they convey a different feeling=)

yes, I remember discovering "Perfectly calm" in 2008 and was blown away... another band with a similar atmosphere, although a lot slower, are Lachrimatory from Brazil... but they only released one album in 2011... Transient. They use the cello a lot. Was re-released in 2016 (I believe) by Solitude Production, although on the YouTube video it says 2014...

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, if you hear enough similarities to compare Darkflight and Lachrimatory, there must be something I really missed!

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:01 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Well, if you hear enough similarities to compare Darkflight and Lachrimatory, there must be something I really missed!

ah ah... it's impossible for me to describe... but I hear them... it's probably a matter of "atmosphere" more than close similarities...

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:05 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
baphomet wrote:

ah ah... it's impossible for me to describe... but I hear them... it's probably a matter of "atmosphere" more than close similarities...

I know what you mean - I often find them closest to melodic Funeral bands in terms of atmosphere and feeling, even though the musical styles are quite different. But having thought about it a bit more, I'd probably also namecheck Yearning somewhere along the line: 'Frore Meadow', probably.

Merchant of Doom wrote:
Good album, musically, but I agree about the clean vocals... they are terrible and it's the first time they use them... if I remember correctly. I guess you get used to them, but still...

Well, they did try semi-spoken cleans on 'Closure', which perhaps weren't a roaring success - and, for the obessive collectors, 2002's 'Under The Shadow Of Fear' featured clean female vocals. Which were much nicer :D

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]