Earth nature field

Abysmal Growls Of Despair - "Worst Putrid Tongue"

For discussion of all the reviews and interviews published on the main site. Tell us what you think!

Moderator: The Staff

endemoniada_88
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Abysmal Growls Of Despair - "Worst Putrid Tongue"

Post by endemoniada_88 »

>> ex silens nox noctis <<
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Re: Abysmal Growls Of Despair - "Worst Putrid Tongue"

Post by baphomet »

Hadn't you discussed the opportunity of creating an online translation service to all metal bands needing proofreading of their lyrics?
You have a relevant case here. :D
The daylight wanes; the night deepens; remember!
kris
Senior Staff Member

Senior Staff Member

Post by kris »

Is reviews by Ian a new thing? I used to know him back in the day but my interaction with the Doom Scene IRL in the last 10 years has been minimal so not seen him for a gooood long while!
klamerin
Forum User

Post by klamerin »

Well I'd say this is pretty bad. The vocals are unbearable, the guitars are totally stupid, bland and do not invoke any feeling at all.

The only really good thing is the really drawn out keyboard line (i guess it's keyboard) that appears briefly in the 1st track, in the last 5 minutes of the 2nd track and in most of 3rd one - it's simple and it's always the same, but personally I could listen to it for hours (isolated from the other "sounds"=).

Otherwise, it's inoffensive and maybe it could even work as nice background music without the vocals. But still - such albums give funeral doom a bad name.
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

What did you expect? From the review, perhaps a little more, but from the band's usual productions? It's always been the same...
klamerin
Forum User

Post by klamerin »

Actually it's been better, not a lot better, but this is really exceptionally bad=)

Plus, all these absurd reviews with 7.5/8 marks need some counter-voice so here I am=)
kris
Senior Staff Member

Senior Staff Member

Post by kris »

Judging from what I have heard of this band before (mainly just the track on the MDB tribute, which was a real low point on that album), 7.5 seems like a remarkable score. He's given a lot of credit for being a one man band, but like, so are a million bands these days, it isn't like its 1991 and it's hard to make a record at home by yourself.

But I can't offer a true opinion on this particular release as I haven't heard it. It doesn't seem to be on his Bandcamp.
endemoniada_88
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by endemoniada_88 »

kris wrote:Is reviews by Ian a new thing? I used to know him back in the day but my interaction with the Doom Scene IRL in the last 10 years has been minimal so not seen him for a gooood long while!
Yeah, Stu pointed him in our direction just recently, so I've only been in contact with him for a few weeks now.
>> ex silens nox noctis <<
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

klamerin wrote:Actually it's been better, not a lot better, but this is really exceptionally bad=)

Plus, all these absurd reviews with 7.5/8 marks need some counter-voice so here I am=)
As you pointed out, the more sparce he is, the more bearable it is. That's the reason why, of all its stuff, it's only Plagueprayer I like...

edit: at all costs, don't listen to Plagueprayer's second output! :shock:
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

this album is repulsive. This project must be seen for what it is: an outlet for his author, but in no way listenable music.
He plays like he defecates, from essential need.
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by Merchant of Doom »

well, if he deployed bearable vocals, it would be ok... like this, it isn't... I'm sure he must be aware of it... it's his choice and - in a funny way - I admire him for sticking with it... or, maybe, he is just a fool... :p
It's not Doom...
kris
Senior Staff Member

Senior Staff Member

Post by kris »

I think the vocals are the best bit! Wish I could growl so low. Do you guys hate Demilich too?

Main problems for me is that everything is always really out of time and he always has a bad drum sound. Just programmed drums with NO REVERB. Who makes funeral doom with no reverb on the drums? Well, at least they are mixed super low, making it much easier to ignore than on the MDB tribute.

And its slow all the way through, and therefore the first record in a while with the 'funeral doom' tag that isn't actually just death doom trying to be more fashionable. Although the new Mournful Congregation also applies - but then they were always a real funeral doom band.