Radioactive
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Eye Of Solitude/Marche Funèbre - "Collapse/Darkness" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Eye Of Solitude/Marche Funèbre - "Collapse/Darkness"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3258 or
http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3259.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:19 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Eye Of Solitude/Marche Funèbre - "Collapse/Darkness"

You some up my feelings about Eye of Solitude perfectly. I feel guilty about criticising them too, because it isn't that they are bad. It's just that they found a forumla and now ridgidly stick to it, and it isn't that interesting a forumula to start with. It is great if you just want to keep on putting out solid and technically well formed albums, but to impress I think it needs another level. I can always appreciate it on one level, but it always just leaves me cold now, especially after hearing it a few times now. I feel the same way about Clouds, and to be honest, other than the instrumentation I don't feel the formula is really that far removed.

Marche Funèbre on the other hand is great. I really like this song. Almost but not quite a Dark Metal feel. That sort of yearning feeling. I like this enough to purchase for my 'M' section too, but I haven't really dove into their existing discography that much, so I may do that first... in that regard it has certainly served as a good introduction for me. I'd say your review here is spot on.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

I can't stand this kind of doom from Clounds / Eye of Solitude, unfortunately......and I really tried to like it.
Marche Funèbre again, is excelent. Arne's vocals are getting better and better. His clean vocals was always an issue for me, but since Into the Arms of Darkness I'm really enjoyng them.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:57 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I agree... the clean vocals in Marche Funèbre keep getting better...

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:06 pm
Forum User

As for filing splits in a cd collection : the one Eye of Solitude did with Faal is perfect, it fits in neatly between the main discographies of those 2 bands :-)

I quite like it musically as well, especially the brass band intro from EoS. Brass instruments can be very doomy, they should be used more.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:58 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The split EOS did wth Faal is excellent indeed. I'd even say this is the best material both bands ever put out.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:22 am
Forum User

Faal’s debut is just too good to be surpassed (especially with the direction the band is taking:)

As for the split with Marche Funebre - I’m on the opposite side - I never could get into MF, this song does not do anything for me either. I was never a fan of EoS too, they were always too plastic for me but since I saw them live my opinion changed as the performance was really emotional so now I’m a bit fond of them:)

The review is quite perfect, I completely agree with Mike about the ever growing similarities between EoS and Clouds:))

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, I guess that's kind of reassuring you're doing something right, when fans of either/both/neither bands find it a decent review :D

EOS have definitely disappointed me over the last few years, compared to the excellence and variety of their first three albums.They still have excellence but the variety has taken a big hit!

MF, well I'd readily accept they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I do see them as almost the exact opposite of EOS - they haven't stopped in a safe place and repeated the same formula, they've always tried to push things a little further each time and learned from what worked and what didn't. Plus, I do think they've got one of the better percussion/rhythm sections currently operating in the business and that counts for a lot in my book...

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Well, I guess that's kind of reassuring you're doing something right, when fans of either/both/neither bands find it a decent review :D

EOS have definitely disappointed me over the last few years, compared to the excellence and variety of their first three albums.They still have excellence but the variety has taken a big hit!

MF, well I'd readily accept they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I do see them as almost the exact opposite of EOS - they haven't stopped in a safe place and repeated the same formula, they've always tried to push things a little further each time and learned from what worked and what didn't. Plus, I do think they've got one of the better percussion/rhythm sections currently operating in the business and that counts for a lot in my book...

I agree entirely!

Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]