PariahChild-TT
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 am



Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait" 
Author Message
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 5637
Location: Way down South, UK.
Reply with quote
Post Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3100.

_________________
>> ex silens nox noctis <<


Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10530
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

Why has this been dug up? It's from 2001... and I have the album... can't remember a thing about it... listening to it now! :D

_________________
It's not Doom...


Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 pm
Posts: 1386
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

Terrible album. A failure on every account.


Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:51 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 5637
Location: Way down South, UK.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

Dante wanted to cover it.

Maybe he's only just got a copy, and felt it was his duty to warn others :D

_________________
>> ex silens nox noctis <<


Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10530
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

well, yes, it's a lacking a bit to put it mildly... there a couple of good tracks, though... and it's from 2001, 16 years ago, so early days... :D

_________________
It's not Doom...


Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 5637
Location: Way down South, UK.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

Apart from they pretty much blew up and disbanded after this release, and it'd be hard to argue that it wasn't a deserved result of the criticism received...! :p Fortunately - and I say this as an owner of both releases - it was probably the right decision...

_________________
>> ex silens nox noctis <<


Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:58 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14597
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

How come you keep those releases? I can't understand why bother with bad albums?

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:41 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am
Posts: 505
Location: Virginia, USA
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

I recently went on a binge of old, atmospheric death/doom albums (In Somnis, Morgion, Thorns of the Carrion, Desire, Whispering Forest, etc) and I had remembered I really liked the riffs on this album, despite the shitty vocals. Since there wasn't already a review of the album, I felt it was worth digging up to talk about. :p

For real though, this is one of those situations where the album would have been awesome if the female singer weren't there, and I rarely feel that way about albums with this style of vocals (male growl/female singer).

_________________
I gave in to life's bitter promises.
Yes, I gave in, but not again.


Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 pm
Posts: 1386
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

this was Eric Rutan's project, among other projects he'd had, no? But then again, this guy hasn't done anything particularly spectacular in most of his musical endeavors (Hate Eternal et al.) other than his short participation in Morbid Angel's Formulas...And he's supposed to be a talented guitar player or something, But the echoing failure of Em Sinfonia is reverberating through the years. Such a bad, sloppy and uninspired album, bleh...


Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 5637
Location: Way down South, UK.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

baphomet wrote:
How come you keep those releases? I can't understand why bother with bad albums?

Lack of spare time. It's more effort to advertise/sell the odd one than I can be bothered with, and simply throwing them in the bin seems wasteful. I'll probably have a grand clearout when I retire or something, and have the time to revisit several thousand albums and decide which ones are actually worth keeping...

_________________
>> ex silens nox noctis <<


Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14597
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

I did throw some in the bin! And with a laugther :D

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:21 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10530
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

I never throw anything away... they are part of my life... every single one has some kind of memory attached to it... :)

_________________
It's not Doom...


Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:10 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14597
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

I think that way more about books. Although I can give them away, to resale stores or a public library, but I never trashed a book... I have more respect for literature it seems.

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10530
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

baphomet wrote:
I think that way more about books. Although I can give them away, to resale stores or a public library, but I never trashed a book... I have more respect for literature it seems.


same goes for books... I still have them all (even my university textbooks)... granted, space is an issue but I can throw other crap away.... :p

_________________
It's not Doom...


Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 5637
Location: Way down South, UK.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

baphomet wrote:
I did throw some in the bin! And with a laugther :D


I do that more with video games - if it fucks me off enough, there's a certain grim satisfaction to be had in watching the smashed remnants of the disc hitting the bottom of the dustbin. 'Meh' albums don't generally get me fired enough up enough to do that...

_________________
>> ex silens nox noctis <<


Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am
Posts: 505
Location: Virginia, USA
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

I can't throw away CDs either. Even if I don't like the album anymore, I don't toss it. I still have a Flyleaf album from when I was ten years old, but because I can't work up the nerve to get rid of it. :D

_________________
I gave in to life's bitter promises.
Yes, I gave in, but not again.


Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:01 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14597
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

endemoniada_88 wrote:
baphomet wrote:
I did throw some in the bin! And with a laugther :D


I do that more with video games - if it fucks me off enough, there's a certain grim satisfaction to be had in watching the smashed remnants of the disc hitting the bottom of the dustbin. 'Meh' albums don't generally get me fired enough up enough to do that...


I did throw away Velvet darkness they fear and some stuff by Asphyx, I hate their singer! I broke the disc screaming "Die, mother fucker! Die!" (this in French of course) What a relief after!
It's that profound disgust that has to be the motivation, otherwise, you sell it or give it; but if at one point I get really annoyed by an album, it's a physical matter, I can't keep it longer, it has to be brutally totaled.

I wrecked many other things that way.. like, my life. :laugh: (seriously: headphones, cellphone etc... Everything that resists me has to die! :diktat: )

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am
Posts: 1620
Location: Doom
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

wyrd wrote:
this was Eric Rutan's project, among other projects he'd had, no? But then again, this guy hasn't done anything particularly spectacular in most of his musical endeavors (Hate Eternal et al.) other than his short participation in Morbid Angel's Formulas...And he's supposed to be a talented guitar player or something, But the echoing failure of Em Sinfonia is reverberating through the years. Such a bad, sloppy and uninspired album, bleh...


Rutan had nothing to do with Em Sinfonia. :) Musically this album is passable but vocally it's awful. That seems to be the consensus. Their first recording was pretty good however. Though its been an age since I've bothered listening to it.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nevertanezra/163179627054889
https://nevertanezra.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/NTNR1

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."


Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 pm
Posts: 1386
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

NTNR wrote:
wyrd wrote:
this was Eric Rutan's project, among other projects he'd had, no? But then again, this guy hasn't done anything particularly spectacular in most of his musical endeavors (Hate Eternal et al.) other than his short participation in Morbid Angel's Formulas...And he's supposed to be a talented guitar player or something, But the echoing failure of Em Sinfonia is reverberating through the years. Such a bad, sloppy and uninspired album, bleh...


Rutan had nothing to do with Em Sinfonia. :) Musically this album is passable but vocally it's awful. That seems to be the consensus. Their first recording was pretty good however. Though its been an age since I've bothered listening to it.


Sorry, mixed him with the other guy from the equally awful band Broken Hope who participated in Em Sinfonia. I confused that with Eric Rutan's equally terrible side project ALAS' Absolute Purity album back from 2001. I would like to be stand corrected, but if I recall, that was as bad as Em Sinfonia's...


Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:06 am
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Huddersfield
Reply with quote
Post Re: Em Sinfonia - "Intimate Portrait"

He's called Brian Griffin. So while it may still suck, I think it's pretty good for a dog.
Image

_________________
My Bands: Esoteric | Self Hypnosis | Invisible Skies


Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.