SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Draconian - "Sovran" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Draconian - "Sovran"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=2923.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:22 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Draconian - "Sovran"

A very balanced and detailed review - great work! I was just re-listening to the album and wondering what had been written about it, and I agree in most aspects.

Somehow I find myself listening to Sovran quite often - in fact, it must be one of my most-played albums of the last few months. It's nothing new indeed, but it's so well executed and composed that it soon became addictive, despite the fact that some of the later tracks fall somewhat short in comparison to the greatness of the first three (in my opinion anyway). Also, expecting the worst, I was very pleasantly surprised by the new singer. I understand your criticism, but to be fair, Lisa never added any of that ominousness you're calling for, either. As it is, the album remains consistently catchy and accessible throughout without ever feeling too superficial. I much prefer this over the last MDB, although I realise they're quite different albums in any case. It's a shame there are so few really good bands in Gothic Doom (particularly female-fronted), which may be one of the reasons I've been spinning this so much - there simple aren't any viable alternatives! To me, Ava Inferi are probably the only band that only ever lived up to this, and they disbanded after a rather disappointing final album, so all I can do is hope Draconian will continue for a while longer at least...

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:51 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I fancy the female singer... jokes apart, it's definitely a well balanced album...

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

The parallel between Heike's voice with Sharon den Adel's voice just gets under my skin, for some reason. I thought Lisa really had a voice of her own, and it had the ability to give me goosebumps at times. By no means is Heike a bad singer, I guess I was just expecting something different from her; perhaps more mid-range and creepier sounding. I guess not every band can have Mandy Andresen as a lead singer. :p

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:34 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

TheUnhinged wrote:
The parallel between Heike's voice with Sharon den Adel's voice just gets under my skin, for some reason. I thought Lisa really had a voice of her own, and it had the ability to give me goosebumps at times. By no means is Heike a bad singer, I guess I was just expecting something different from her; perhaps more mid-range and creepier sounding. I guess not every band can have Mandy Andresen as a lead singer. :p

funny... I actually prefer Heike's voice... have you listened to her ISON project?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:05 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I've bookmarked it...

Since I'm hardly familiar with Within Temptation, I don't notice that parallel at all, and truth be told, I find the new singer's style very similar to Lisa's. And I'm saying this as someone who thought Draconian were done for when Lisa left - just like you, I've always considered her one of the most unique and emotional female singers in Doom. I remember listening to the first few tracks of Sovran on Spotify for the first time with a mixture of intense relief about the vocals and sheer joy about the quality of the songs. I stopped listening after those first tracks and decided I wanted to listen to the proper CD asap instead. :) I do still prefer Lisa, but they made a good catch with Heike, I think. They wouldn't have been the first band to entirely lose their appeal for me after a change of vocalists (Unsilence are a good example)...

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

I don't necessarily think Heike was a bad choice. I just always conjure up this song whenever I hear her sing with Draconian.

Also, I have heard Heike's solo material, which I do enjoy. This song from her project, :LORE3L3I:, gives a good idea of what I was hoping for. The lower range in the verses would have suited what I wanted to hear a bit more than the higher range.

Heh, speaking of bands who lost their appeal when they changed vocalists, I just want to say *cough* *cough* Tristania. That will always be a tragedy to me.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:42 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I know what you mean... a bit more of the lower range would have been good in Sovran... I know :LORE3L3I:...

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]