elusivegodbanner
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:14 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God" 
Author Message
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 5298
Location: Way down South, UK.
Reply with quote
Post Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=2888.

_________________
>> ex silens nox noctis <<


Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:07 pm
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm
Posts: 909
Location: Huddersfield
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

I approve of this review, exactly what I thought. Was in my 2015 top albums list, a great effort.

_________________
Cynical bastard who used to be in some doom bands.
Check out what I've been listening to digitally!
Check out what I've been buying physically!


Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm
Posts: 5298
Location: Way down South, UK.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

I think I'll second that, actually. Didn't start listening to it in earnest until after I'd settled my 2015 list, otherwise it would have been in there...

_________________
>> ex silens nox noctis <<


Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:50 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9592
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

I like musically, but I can't digest the power metal vocals, unfortunately... the growls are awesome...

_________________
It's not Doom...


Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:35 am
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm
Posts: 909
Location: Huddersfield
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

I'd normally be with you there, because I hate that stuff (The guy who turned me onto it even said 'I bet you'll hate this because of the vocals'), but for some reason I really like the clean vocals on this!

_________________
Cynical bastard who used to be in some doom bands.
Check out what I've been listening to digitally!
Check out what I've been buying physically!


Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 pm
Posts: 1365
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

The clean vocals are what makes this album so unique. Without them, it's just some melodic doom/death metal album with nothing to boast about...Don't you see it? The awesomeness of Alien Monolith God lies exactly with the fact it incorporates those sublime clean vocals that transcend the music...


Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:00 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9592
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

wyrd wrote:
The clean vocals are what makes this album so unique. Without them, it's just some melodic doom/death metal album with nothing to boast about...Don't you see it? The awesomeness of Alien Monolith God lies exactly with the fact it incorporates those sublime clean vocals that transcend the music...



I see it very well and I get your point... in fact, I like it musically, but it doesn't blow me away... I guess, as usual, it's matter of taste. I will never ever like power metal vocals...

_________________
It's not Doom...


Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:34 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:00 am
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

I definitely agree about the power metal vocals being one of the elements that pushes this album into its own unique space. As for "never" liking something, that may be true, but hopefully not. I used to hate growls when I was younger. I also hated vocals as high as King Diamond. Throughout the years, I've grown to love both. Anything's possible.


Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:24 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 pm
Posts: 1365
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

Christopheles Doom wrote:
Anything's possible.


Quoted for truth...


Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:39 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9592
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

Christopheles Doom wrote:
I definitely agree about the power metal vocals being one of the elements that pushes this album into its own unique space. As for "never" liking something, that may be true, but hopefully not. I used to hate growls when I was younger. I also hated vocals as high as King Diamond. Throughout the years, I've grown to love both. Anything's possible.



I got to like growls myself... didn't take long... power metal vocals... still trying, but it's been 20 years now... :D

_________________
It's not Doom...


Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:32 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:00 am
Posts: 2
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

Quote:
I got to like growls myself... didn't take long... power metal vocals... still trying, but it's been 20 years now... :D


I hear you. It took me about that long to listen to King Diamond. Sometimes things click, sometimes they don't. Funeral Doom was totally lost on me when I first heard it. A year later it had become my favorite genre. Music is weird like that.


Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:16 pm
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 5535
Location: Baltic coast, DE
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

Merchant of Doom wrote:
I like musically, but I can't digest the power metal vocals, unfortunately...

My thoughts exactly. And just like you, I'm pretty sure, with years of experience under my belt, that I'll never come to enjoy such vocals. Appreciate for their technical quality, perhaps, but not actually enjoy.

_________________
Sidetrack Walker - Underdog Pop for the faint of heart.


Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9592
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

I still don't like them... :D :D

_________________
It's not Doom...


Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 13443
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mare Infinitum - "Alien Monolith God"

I like more the debut, this one gets on my nerves.

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.