elusivegodbanner
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Interview with Spiritus Mortis 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Interview with Spiritus Mortis

Read the interview here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/interviews.php?entry=1325.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:13 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Interview with Spiritus Mortis

I like this band's compositions, it's cleverly twinkered, but I really can't stand their exaltation around God, hell and religion as a whole. it severly, almost unredeemingly spoils my pleasure, I mean, it sounds so, so, so immature...

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:51 pm
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
I like this band's compositions, it's cleverly twinkered, but I really can't stand their exaltation around God, hell and religion as a whole. it severly, almost unredeemingly spoils my pleasure, I mean, it sounds so, so, so immature...

"cleverly twinkered" sounds good.

" God, hell and religion" heavy stuff, strongly suitable for doom lyrics. More suitable than song about flowers, except "Flowers of Evil" sounds good....

But I also understand if you do not like how SM or other bands "stagnate" to one object, just repeating same stuff.

One explanation is that Sami aka Albert has long time study in university this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious ... f_religion

"Cultural anthropology of religion
The cultural anthropology of religion is principally concerned with the cultural aspects of religion. Of primary concern to the cultural anthropologist of religions are rituals, beliefs, religious art, and practices of piety."

Another "surprise" explanation is rhythm; in songs like Flames this "Satan, Father, Master"-line just works perfectly with rhythm.

And we have also some love songs like Dead Bride and Perpetual Motion :;):

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:38 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks for the response.
I know these are somewhat the ABC of Metal lyrics, but I think it's a culture thing: here in Belgium, we've been deeply marked by the French 'Enlightenment' of the 18th century, the power of reason, and we've ceased to cultivate strongs links to religion, let alone to concepts such as hell and satan. And I personally can't connect with that, especially when ther're so many other topics that can be adressed... As for Doom, I'd rather hear lyrics about social issues or esoteric matters (dead bride and perpetual motion are ok in my book!)... God seem too easy a gateway as He's been used soooo many times by so many bands yet. :;):

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:03 am
Forum User

"Thanks for the response."

You`re welcome. If you have time to think SM, I have to have time to answer.

"...I think it's a culture thing: here in Belgium, we've been deeply marked by the French 'Enlightenment' of the 18th century, the power of reason, and we've ceased to cultivate strongs links to religion, let alone to concepts such as hell and satan. And I personally can't connect with that, especially when ther're so many other topics that can be adressed... "

Nope. God and religious are not "big problem" or "everyday issue" either here in Scandinavia. I go with this "ABC of Heavy Metal"-lyrics idea.

"As for Doom, I'd rather hear lyrics about social issues or esoteric matters (dead bride and perpetual motion are ok in my book!)... "

In doom lyrics I personally prefer "doom, death and destruction"; war, warfare, the end of the world, weapons, Götterdämmerung, strange cults, gods and beliefs. Sex goes also fine, well, what else you can expect band called SM...

"esoteric matters", ok. "social issues" dear god (pun intended) NO! Specially no whining or crying how miserable life is.

"God seem too easy a gateway as He's been used soooo many times by so many bands yet. :;) "

That true, but I believe Sami has something original to say in issues like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:07 pm
Forum User

I couldn't give a fuck about God or religious references. It's the music which comes first. Bar nothing!

I enjoyed reading this interview and look forward to the return of Spiritus Mortis. .

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Then better shut your mouth and give up on the idea of writing any lyrics. yes, lyrics are part of the music. I hear them, and God and Jesus and Satan are just so far away from my own taste and concerns that I just can overlook that.. it just gets in the way of my enjoyment of the music...

I wonder why God has become like the Metal music's rattle. It's surely a Protestans weakness, England, USA, Scandinavia, God knows you anti-papists love Him so much... :D

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:28 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Just for you bapho, my next record will be a concept album dedicated to Belgium-relevant topics. Buns, waffles, Hercule Poirot, all that good stuff. :rofl:

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

kris wrote:
Just for you bapho, my next record will be a concept album dedicated to Belgium-relevant topics. Buns, waffles, Hercule Poirot, all that good stuff. :rofl:

THAT is doom! Gimme some language border issues too (that is for the essential social matters) and I'll be won over !

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:07 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
kris wrote:

THAT is doom! Gimme some language border issues too (that is for the essential social matters) and I'll be won over !

85 minutes of sludgy Post-Metal entitled 'Beer and Chocolate (and Unmade Roads)' would cover it for me... :D

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm
Forum User

kris wrote:

And don't forget the Muslim immigrants/Refugees/Terrorists infesting the country as well...
I'm sure Baphomet is having a ball...

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:44 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Let's not exaggerate the "Molenbeek" syndrom that seems to have gone viral. It's just a bunch of angry/stupid people tainting a whole country black... (When they're not that black in fact... more clear chocolate... :D )

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:53 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
Let's not exaggerate the "Molenbeek" syndrom that seems to have gone viral. It's just a bunch of angry/stupid people tainting a whole country black... (When they're not that black in fact... more clear chocolate... :D )

I think you're prettying the picture. I don't blame you, denial is a strong protective mechanism...
I could put a smiley at the end of the sentence, but I think there's nothing to be smiling about, given the situation...
Are you not worried?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:26 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't live in Brussels. Yes, I don't like Islam, I'm certainly one of the few non-muslims who has read the Coran (although I'm sure most of the Muslims haven't extensively read their holy book either!)... So I know what this religion offers. I don't think Muslims are willing to get integrated, let alone assimilated, they've built their own ghetto, too bad for us, but too bad for them too, particularly too bad for their youth and their women...
It's one vast problem that needs to be tackled with care though. But there's surely been a lack of awareness from the authorities, mixed, in places, with some cynic political interests...

But that is not a Belgian issue. That is global.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:17 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
I wonder why God has become like the Metal music's rattle. It's surely a Protestans weakness, England, USA, Scandinavia, God knows you anti-papists love Him so much... :D

Protestant god-loving metal does not sound familiar. In SM "God behind the God" was one song about god - title song- but it has it`s own weird twist, not just usual God-satan-stuff.

But hell yeah, if songs about misery, unemployment or quality of chocolate "raise your flag", that`s fine with me, brother :)

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]