SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
In Oblivion : Memories Engraved In Stone 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post In Oblivion : Memories Engraved In Stone

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3383.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:48 pm
Forum User

Post Re: In Oblivion : Memories Engraved In Stone

I agree with the review quite much, the album starts really bland, but gets slightly exciting as it progresses. The vocals are below average though...

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:02 am
Forum User

Not sure what album you were actually listening to here, but there are no clean vocals on this record, male or female.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:35 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't always recognize the album in the review myself... Mourning Beloveth? My Dying Bride?... And no clean vocals indeed...
The part with it being more Death Doom than Funeral came as quite irrelevant too, till I got to the second part of the album - much more interesting than the first, on a side note.

I don't know ... A priori, the reviewer did listen to the right album and there's no inversion of reviews... The female clean voice must have been with wife yelling to stop the noise. :D

edit: I correct my thought: just finished the album, and obviously, the FD parts largely outweigh the DD ones...

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:10 am
Forum User

I wouldn't compare it to Mourning Beloveth myself but the vocals do have some resemblance to Darren Moore's, the riffs are also slightly reminiscent of slowed-down MB's with the nice clean lead guitars (admittedly that makes them reminiscent of quite a few doom bands=)

As for the clean vocals, I have not listened attentively to see if there are present or not (though if there are, they are obviously negligible) but the CD clearly states that Ryoko Minowa (female) does backing vocals and so does Jacob Holmes (male) so this might have mislead the reviewer (who should trust his ears in the first place=)

Btw, listening to it again, this is a very well crafted album, and it's worth listening to despite the lack of originality (which makes the rating rather adequate for me=)

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:33 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I tried to like it... it has good moments, but it lacks direction, generally...

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Having just re-listened to the album, I would have to say it is a bit of a ham-fisted description of the vocals. Not maliciously so, but 'clean' isn't really the correct choice of word. It's drawing a distinction between where the lead vocals come across as a harsh-edged semi-growl following the melody line (which is kinda where the rougher end of Mourning Beloveth's vocals sit) and where they're really full-on guttural Funeral/Death (plus the male backing vocals, which aren't very prevalent, but are a sort of blackened extreme 'echo'). And they do slip pretty seamlessly between the two across most of the tracks, so the contrast is there - it's just that it would have been more accurate to categorise that as brutal to semi-harsh rather than harsh to clean.
The female voice - that's at the start of track 2 only. I guess you could legitimately call it both 'clean' and 'vocal', even if I'd personally view it more as a spot effect than an actual singing part though. Hawkwind's 'Virgin Of The World' it certainly isn't.
As has been attributed to many different sources over the years: "writing about music is like dancing about architecture". Sometimes it gets the meaning across really clearly, sometimes rather less so, and sometimes it's possible to see both sides of that depending on how familiar you are with both the music and the writing...
I don't especially like to let anything that's horribly inaccurate stand unquestioned, though, and I'm guessing that the early post complaining we were listening to the wrong album is from a band member - so, if you're still watching this thread, feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to put the record straight for anything you feel is a crucial misrepresentation.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:33 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
The female voice - that's at the start of track 2 only. I guess you could legitimately call it both 'clean' and 'vocal', even if I'd personally view it more as a spot effect than an actual singing part though. Hawkwind's 'Virgin Of The World' it certainly isn't.

yes, that's some woman crying... :p

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:

yes, that's some woman crying... :p

clean-crying. :geek/oldfart2:

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
clean-crying. :geek/oldfart2:

:laugh:

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:35 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Heh, you guys are funny. :D

Point is, though, the band themselves felt it was enough to credit their keyboardist with 'backing vocals', that's the only discernable female vocal, and it gets a single passing mention as 'clean' in the review. I'm not really seeing much grounds for complaint over that, to be honest.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

"backing vocal" is indeed misleading. Maybe her part was longer, but has been edited in the end?

But in all honesty, if this sobbing could be considered as a vocal contribution, it can't be described as 'sung clean vocals'.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:58 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Come on! There are no clean female "vocals" on the album... :)

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:57 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Obviously, wasn't a great idea to post whilst drinking, since I seem to have failed to make the point I thought I was making...!

I agree - I've already said I consider the only instance to be a spot effect that happens to be a female voice, not a proper female vocal singing part. But, set against that, there's only a single throwaway mention of it in the review, and it's broadly in line with the album credits. So I'm not saying it's correct - again, I've already said I'd call it as a pretty hamfisted, though not completely off-piste, way of tackling the vocal descriptions overall - I'm asking, is it a big deal? As in, does it need fixing as a genuinely misleading piece where you thought you'd be getting a cross between Draconian and 'The Dreadful Hours', and wound up with Hierophant instead, or is it just a somewhat imprecise way of describing an album that sorta makes sense once you've listened to it? I'm largely of the opinion it's the latter (and that far and away the least important part of the whole complaint is the 'female voice' thing), but if the general view is that it needs more clarity, that's what it'll get. So, less humorous quips and smilies, if you wouldn't mind, and more steely-eyed focus on whether it can stand as-is or whether a detailed amendment, rewrite or explanatory editor's note is required...
Woulda preferred some input from the band, rather than a one-line drive-by snark, but it doesn't look like that's going to materialise, so I guess it really is a site decision as to whether we ought to take some action.
And here's a smilie to show I'm not being altogether grumpy on the subject, even if I am finding it a disproportionately time-intensive conversation over a pretty minor and unexciting addition to the FD canon - :diktat:
:D

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:16 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I can only repeat what I've said: this phrase, in the beginning of the third paragraph is misleading indeed:
'they switch between guttural Death Metal growls and clean vocals sung by both male and female vocalists. '

'cause reading this, you only picture an album vocally much more diverse than it actually is. I know some people are very fond of female vocals in their doom, enjoying the peculiar moods they usually convey. Those are bound to be very disappointed.
'clean' is not an accurate way to describe the less harsh male vocals, and 'vocals' is not appropriate to describe this woman crying; this is what she does: she cries for a few seconds and that's it, she will not deliver a single actual sung note.
So, seriously, I would rephrase that passage.

Now, you see how boring I am when I don't fool around? :D

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:40 am
Forum User

I also think that since this is factually incorrect it should be amended (though the band's own CD is just as misleading as this review=)

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
I also think that since this is factually incorrect it should be amended (though the band's own CD is just as misleading as this review=)

This ^^^^

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
So, seriously, I would rephrase that passage.

Now, you see how boring I am when I don't fool around? :D

In this instance, boring, precise and helpful is exactly what I was looking for! Right, that's done. As you were, folks, smilies'n'all :)

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]