DiscosMacarros
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Apart from music, what brings you 'fulfilment'? 
Forum User

Post Re: Apart from music, what brings you 'fulfilment'?

Kids... It's really hard to explain or maybe it's not hard but it may sound dumb. Like when I was kidless, the sound of a 5 yo crying was enough to make me want to start a pedocide. Now when my own kids are crying, it's almost like music to me. And the funny thing is that as much as I can effortlessly tolerate the whining and crying from my own kids, I still despise that of others'. On a side note, my 5 yo daughter can be really mean and mischievous sometimes and when she's like that I wish I could eviserate her (my Death Metal legacy speaking here) but I've been told it's a natural reaction (watch some Louis CK vids...).

I was once told some time ago that you cannot begin to understand what it feels to be a parent until you have your own kid(s). And when I heard that I was like, "yeah right" but eventually that person turned out to be right. So it may be pointles to try and explain this to anyone without a kid.

As for fullfillment and kids, I guess kids are part of the legacy endemoniada mentioned. But it's much the same things as love. Fuck up the education of your kids or abuse them, and you'll just be a sad fucker. Do the right thing (or try to) and you'll get love in return. And the love of your kids is worth a lot. At least to me, it's very rewarding (and I'm definitely not the best dad out there).

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:02 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

This... ^^^ :D

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:20 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this; my friend just sent me the link:

Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:00 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

fixed your link... :D

Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:14 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Ah, somehow I completely forgot there's an embed function. Getting old! :D Thanks.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:49 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Discuss, you lazy sods! :oldfart:

I really liked that video: it says a lot both about the essentials of social networking and about fulfilment nowadays (and of course the connection between the two).

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
Discuss, you lazy sods! :oldfart:

I really liked that video: it says a lot both about the essentials of social networking and about fulfilment nowadays (and of course the connection between the two).

yes... it has a point, but to me it's a bit obvious... do you really believe in everything people post of FB? Most of it - I would say 96% - is just garbage... in fact... FB is a great eye opener...

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:05 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

An eye opener? In what respect?

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:48 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
An eye opener? In what respect?

I have lots of "acquaintances" on FB... you know, people you are not strictly friends with, but you meet regularly and have a few chats... not in depth ones... I guess just superficial stuff. Then you see the crap they post on FB... racist jokes, British flags with bulldogs, sexist stuff, and so on... then you know you don't really want to talk to them anymore.... :D

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:58 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
racist jokes,

ah, fuck, I hate the guys who do that...!

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:13 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Hmm, in that respect it must be a good thing I'm German; because of our country's history, people here are extremely cautious with that kind of joke, at least in public.

To me, the gist of the video isn't really that most of the stuff posted in social media is bullshit, although that's a valid point in itself, of course (but somewhat obvious indeed, as Merch said). What I find much more important and worth discussing is the final twist which shows that people really just want to see this endless flow of allegedly good news where their idyllic world of lies remains intact. They don't actually care about anyone. As soon as some honesty and truth emerges, it's only a threat to their illusions and/or too complicated to make their business, so they ignore it. There is no actual social exchange at eye level, it's all just showing off. In many ways I think that social media are the culmination and most obvious example of tendencies which can be observed in the social sphere at large. Solidarity and mutual support are out of fashion. I've seen it over and over again. Personally, I tend to be very supportive of people I like and always ready to help them out, have a sympathetic ear and so on, but usually people only take advantage of such character traits as long as it serves them but don't make the least effort to give back some support when needed. Isn't there any decency anywhere?

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:56 pm
Forum User

I find that racist jokes tend to make more fun of the actual racists than the victims (Even if unintentional). They also have an uncanny way of bringing real racists out into the open...

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:23 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
What I find much more important and worth discussing is the final twist which shows that people really just want to see this endless flow of allegedly good news where their idyllic world of lies remains intact. They don't actually care about anyone.

Cynical, but not cynical enough - it's a particularly manipulative twist that you seem to be accepting as fact.

What would your conclusion have been if the film had a more prosaically honest ending? As in, a couple of unfriendings, a large amount of indifference, a few comments of varying sincerity along the lines of 'Bummer, hope it gets better for ya, mate', and a PM or two from genuine friends asking "What's up, buddy?"...

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:13 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Genuine friends? What's that? Anyway, I would have found such an ending hypocritical and half-arsed. As much as I appreciate your intention of avoiding too much of a black and white dichotomy, for one thing you often need to overemphasise things somewhat in order to make a point (a large portion of the worlds of fiction and the media work that way), and for another, as a matter of fact my experience is much closer to what is being portrayed in the video than to your description. Perhaps it's just me, though. By the way, I am neither accepting anything as fact, nor am I saying that this video is the most brilliant thing ever created. I merely think it makes a valid point, and it does so in a simple but effective way. I see no need to position every negative observation or statement on a relative scale and come up with positive counter-examples to weaken or refute it. I've often experienced this to be a habitual type of reaction by most people whenever negative observations are being made. But some things simply are negative (if only for a select group of people), and no matter how many counter-arguments you come up with, you cannot discuss that away.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:50 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

My mistake, I thought you specifically requested people should discuss it, on pain of being considered lazy sods... :;):

d.mimøsa wrote:
I see no need to position every negative observation or statement on a relative scale and come up with positive counter-examples to weaken or refute it. I've often experienced this to be a habitual type of reaction by most people whenever negative observations are being made.

Most people find it more productive to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
This is at least partly because not all people are bastards, however much one may wish to stretch the initial strawman - that all social media are populated entirely by utterly shallow and selfish individuals - to breaking point and beyond.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:01 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I see we're not speaking the same language here; never mind.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:49 pm
Forum User

vastAire wrote:
Kids... It's really hard to explain or maybe it's not hard but it may sound dumb. Like when I was kidless, the sound of a 5 yo crying was enough to make me want to start a pedocide. Now when my own kids are crying, it's almost like music to me. And the funny thing is that as much as I can effortlessly tolerate the whining and crying from my own kids, I still despise that of others'. On a side note, my 5 yo daughter can be really mean and mischievous sometimes and when she's like that I wish I could eviserate her (my Death Metal legacy speaking here) but I've been told it's a natural reaction (watch some Louis CK vids...).

I was once told some time ago that you cannot begin to understand what it feels to be a parent until you have your own kid(s). And when I heard that I was like, "yeah right" but eventually that person turned out to be right. So it may be pointles to try and explain this to anyone without a kid.

As for fullfillment and kids, I guess kids are part of the legacy endemoniada mentioned. But it's much the same things as love. Fuck up the education of your kids or abuse them, and you'll just be a sad fucker. Do the right thing (or try to) and you'll get love in return. And the love of your kids is worth a lot. At least to me, it's very rewarding (and I'm definitely not the best dad out there).

This almost makes me wanna have children.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:58 pm
Forum User

Biological phylogeny and biological science at all. Extremely nerdish I know, but nothing else thrilles me the same. Now I see that written down...

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 pm
Forum User

Pizza brings me lots of fulfillment. :D

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

My dog Bailey. I love her more than life itself. I'm not just saying that. I would give my life to save hers. I can not imagine life without her. :inlove:

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next