Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Audio gear and doom metal 
Forum User

Post Audio gear and doom metal

This is a forum devoted to music. However, listening requires electronics. What gear are you using? Are there any audio freaks here? Or maybe you think that any old CD player or MP3 and speakers will do?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:06 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Audio gear and doom metal

I use a proper JVC stereo receiver and four large Sharp speakers which I got from my father - they are probably older than myself, but still work perfectly. As far as headphones are concerned, I use Sennheiser HD 280 Pro studio headphones. Sound is rather important to me, I'm somewhat audiophile; it certainly has a lot to do with the fact that I've made a lot of music myself and have a good musical ear, and working with recordings has sharpened my hearing even more. For my Sansa Clip+ MP3 player, I usually use Phonak Audéo PFE 112 in-ears. One important criterion for both the in-ears and the headphones was that they should be relatively neutral and display a recording as it is, i.e. without any strong bias to a particular frequency range. For one thing, I prefer a balanced sound and use an equalizer to make any necessary adjustments, and for another, I wanted allround headphones that work just as well for any type of music I might choose to listen to. For the in-ears, solid isolation in both directions was an important factor, too. I don't know much about the technical aspects, though, and I'm not too familiar with the hi-fi market, either. So whenever I need to get a new piece of equipment, I do a lot of online research or even ask for advice at a hi-fi forum before buying anything. There are always some nerds who are willing to help and give you some qualified information.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:09 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Genesis wrote:
Or maybe you think that any old CD player or MP3 and speakers will do?

No, but I do have to be a bit realistic about the attrition damage old age, years of motorcycling and attendance at many uber-loud concerts have wreaked on my absolute hearing sensitivity. Basically, I go for as crisp and unadulterated a sound as possible, and spend as much as necessary until I can't really hear any additional benefit - usually some way past entry-level, but rarely getting as far as the sort of thing aimed at genuine audio purists. Currently running -

Hi-fi: Marantz SR-370 surround amp, Sony CDP-XE370 CD and Pioneer CT-W550R tape deck through Goodmans Jamo Studio 170 speakers.
Audio headphones: Sennheiser HDR-120.
PC digital audio: NVidia/VIA High Definition Audio card through Creative Gigaworks T20-II speakers.
Portable: Sony NWZ-1060 32GB Walkman and either Bass Monster helmet speakers or JVC HA-FX66 in-ear phones.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:25 pm
Forum User

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Quino is (was) an excellent cartoonist. I don't know if people know him...

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Quino is (was) an excellent cartoonist. I don't know if people know him...

I do... I think he quite famous all over the world? He is definitely well known in Italy... possibly because of Mafalda... BTW, he is not dead!

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

@ Mike... which MP3 player do you use to play ripped CDs or MP3 files downloaded (legally, obviously) from the 'net? Can't find a good one... at the moment I use either WinAmp or AIMP3...

also, are the Gigaworks really worth the money? I have the Creative I-Trigue, which, although small, do a good job...

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:18 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

my amp:

The rest isn't really good, but I do have a quality Lp player:

speakers are good old fat JBL's

I used to have a TEAC Cd player, but ended up destroying it by savagely hitting on it; Teac is shit, plain and simple. I destroyed my Kenwood mini stereo the same way and threw on the floor my wireless Sennheiser which then exploded. Don't like when it doesn't work properly.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

well, I have a Cyrus amplifier + a Rega Planer 2 as turntable... CD player is a Marantz and speakers are Monitor Audio... not a bad set-up, but it's a medium range one and I'd love to have something more expensive... :D

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:09 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What is the main difference between Rega P1 and P2, the cell I guess?

edit: right now, I work with a very low price dvd player to spin the cds and an as cheap Sharp tape recorder. All in all, not an expensive set, but it works.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:37 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
What is the main difference between Rega P1 and P2, the cell I guess?

edit: right now, I work with a very low price dvd player to spin the cds and an as cheep Sharp tape recorder. All in all, not an expensive set, but it works.

Can't remember what the difference is and can't be bothered to check... :D I have a nice Yamaha deck for the tapes.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
@ Mike... which MP3 player do you use to play ripped CDs or MP3 files downloaded (legally, obviously) from the 'net? Can't find a good one... at the moment I use either WinAmp or AIMP3...

also, are the Gigaworks really worth the money? I have the Creative I-Trigue, which, although small, do a good job...

I use MusicBee (http://getmusicbee.com/. It's a decent player and particularly good on the music management front. Only discovered it when I upgraded to Windows 7 and had to move off the now-pretty-much-unusable Windows Media Player, but it was a good find - really nifty at handling metadata and indexing/searching. Plus, it's free...!

The Gigaworks are good, yes: nice dynamic sound and a good bass punch to them, as you might expect from the size and heft. I wanted to get rid of the need for a 2.1 subwoofer, which my old Sony PC set had, so I was looking for the best 2.0 stereo desktop speakers I could find for sensible money. I think they were about £85, which was well worth it, but you can pick them up for around £50 now, which is an absolute bargain. The I-Trigues usually get decent enough reviews, but I think the Gigaworks are justifiably pitched as the next step up the range.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:09 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Merchant of Doom wrote:

I use MusicBee (http://getmusicbee.com/. It's a decent player and particularly good on the music management front. Only discovered it when I upgraded to Windows 7 and had to move off the now-pretty-much-unusable Windows Media Player, but it was a good find - really nifty at handling metadata and indexing/searching. Plus, it's free...!

The Gigaworks are good, yes: nice dynamic sound and a good bass punch to them, as you might expect from the size and heft. I wanted to get rid of the need for a 2.1 subwoofer, which my old Sony PC set had, so I was looking for the best 2.0 stereo desktop speakers I could find for sensible money. I think they were about £85, which was well worth it, but you can pick them up for around £50 now, which is an absolute bargain. The I-Trigues usually get decent enough reviews, but I think the Gigaworks are justifiably pitched as the next step up the range.

ok, I think I might invest in the Gigaworks, then. They are fairly cheap now. The I-Trigues are such a good pair of speakers for their size, but I need something more substantial and I want to get rid of the subwoofer too! Thanks for the advice. Ah, and I'll try MusicBee...

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:56 pm
Forum User

My set.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:28 pm
Forum User

what CD is that on the far right? (not the PF...)

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:53 pm
Forum User

abigail wrote:
what CD is that on the far right? (not the PF...)

I think that is Europe, Last look at Eden. My girlfriend likes Europe. The bald guy on the CD looks like Europe's drummer.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:05 am
Forum User

ah, thanks. I thought it was an album cover, and someone was ripping off the Floodland cover...

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:50 pm
Forum User

abigail wrote:
ah, thanks. I thought it was an album cover, and someone was ripping off the Floodland cover...

I own Floodland, I can understand you. But they look nothing alike.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:55 pm
Forum User

now that I know what it is, I'll agree... but tiny and at an angle, it simply looked like two faces on a dark background.

thanks for indulging my curiosity anyway :)

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]