DiscosMacarros
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Travel 
Forum User

Post Travel

Couldn't find a topic on travel, so I decided to start one myself.

So, do you guys travel?

If so, name the countries you've visited, recommend the places you believe are a must-see, and name those we should avoid (also explain why).

If not, name the places you want to visit.

:)

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Travel

Sure: UK and mainland Europe mostly, but I've also been on brief trips to Egypt, Israel, Turkey, Malta, some of the Aegean islands. Of those, Cairo and the Valley of The Kings are pretty much essential places to visit.

Other than that, it's pretty much a question of what you want out of travel, though, isn't it? I like the journeying, myself, so it's more about what the view from the road is like than what's waiting at the end. Spent my second honeymoon a few years back driving round southern Europe in a beat-up old camper van during January/February - that was nice: cold, but very scenic and missing the usual throngs of tourists at all the popular places we did stop off. Very much liked Italy, particularly off-season Rome, Venice, Milan and Florence, and San Marino - which was about the friendliest place we visited.

Mostly, though, I go on motorcycle trips with a group of mates, where it's all about finding interesting roads rather than actual destinations. It's hard to beat following the pro-cycling Grand Tour routes through the Alps and the Pyrenees on that kind of trip, although the Lozere/Aveyron area of France is pretty close. Anywhere with mountains, basically, or lots of coastline (such as riding the length of the French/Italian Riviera).

Same here in the UK: there are some interesting, scenic places - Snowdonia, the Lakes and the Peaks, or down in the West Country.

The only place I don't really get on with is Spain, apart from the hugely-unrepresentative Barcelona (which is quite fascinating). Too big, too empty and too hot as far as I'm concerned, and either stuck in some sort of 15th century timewarp or blighted by massive, unfinished modern developments. There again, I've mostly seen the north and east, maybe it's much nicer elsewhere. Andorra, on the border between France and Spain is a good place to visit, though. And, thinking about it, I wasn't much taken with Switzerland, either - quite a dull, regimented sort of a place on first - and second - impressions.

If I could only repeat one of these experiences again, it would probably be crossing the Appenines from Pescara into Rome in a blizzard: that was just a spectacular trip. But in general, given the choice, I'd always point myself towards somewhere in Italy.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:29 pm
Forum User

Wow, you travel a lot. :omg:

Cool.

And funny how you like Italy, but not Spain. Here it's usually the other way around - people always complain over Italians (being too loud, rude, full of prejudice, etc.) and Italy, yet somehow everyone loves Spain.

So far I haven't traveled as much as I would like to: I've mostly visited countries of the central, southern and south-eastern Europe, but only traveled outside of Europe twice - once to Morocco and once to Thailand (very cheesy, I know).

Morocco was beautiful, but I was on a very tight budget and couldn't sea as much as I planned to. So I'm thinking about visiting again soon. Would love to go trekking through the eastern part of the country.

Thailand was nice and different, but very touristic and the flight there was a nightmare. Food was great though, I think I gained around 3 kilos while staying there ...

In the future I would love to visit Nepal and go trekking there, do a road trip around the Black Sea and through Georgia, Armenia, Iran and Iraq (I'm afraid I'm being very optimistic here) and last but not least, I would like to visit Iceland.

Edit: ^^ I've also really wanted to visit Syria, Jordan and Lebanon someday, but it seems that's just not going to happen very soon ...

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Tschusch wrote:
Wow, you travel a lot. :omg:

Cool.

That's because I'm quite old, so it adds up over the years! I didn't go anywhere outside the UK, really, between the ages of about 20 and 35... :( .

Tschusch wrote:
And funny how you like Italy, but not Spain. Here it's usually the other way around - people always complain over Italians (being too loud, rude, full of prejudice, etc.) and Italy, yet somehow everyone loves Spain.

Well, mostly we stay off the beaten track, either off-season or in the middle of nowhere (or both), so it's maybe not a typical tourist experience. I don't think Spain's all bad - we were out in a little walled town near Tarragona when Spain won the European football thing (hate football, no idea what the competition was!) last summer and it was like one big, happy street party all night long. Generally, though, I've found the Spanish to be quite loud and rude and the Italians to be very welcoming (apart from one hotel in Bologna...). Perhaps it's because I'm English, though - I guess we have a quite different set of customs and mores to mainland Europe, and a different appreciation of what's friendly or polite.

This year we're aiming to get down to Imola for the World Superbike round, cut back over the Alps, ride round the Nurburgring and meander home through Benelux. it was almost a trip to Moscow to see the bike racing, then back through Scandinavia, but the logistics were a bit too much - I still hope to do that one year soon.

Anyway, good luck with your own plans. Maybe best avoid the outright war zones just for the moment(!), but there are some cool-sounding ideas on your list... :D

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:24 am
Forum User

Only been traveling around the U.S. for now since I don't have my passport yet. Hoping to see England, Scotland, Ireland, Norway and Sweden before I drop dead.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Forum User

I don't travel nearly as much as I'd like to. That's the downside of being a poor student (are there upsides?).

I went twice to Finland last year. First time I spend in Espoo (with trips to Helsinki) and Turku. Also a few days out in the woods. There was sauna and it was amazing. Second visit was only over a weekend as I just went to see Electric Wizard. Spent that time in Espoo/Helsinki.
Then in 2008 I went to Scotland. Spent all the time in down town Glasgow (with trips outside of down town).

I'd love to go to both Scotland and Finland again and travel around the countries. Same goes for USA and Australia. I think next visit will either be to Finland (is my love for Finland very obvious?) or The Faroe Islands as I've wanted to go there for 12 years and now I have friends there to visit.

Tschusch wrote:
I would like to visit Iceland.

Let me know if you do! We can grab a beer together or I can give you tips on stuff to do. Or what ever.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Does anyone have suggestions for travel destinations that are relatively cheap, easy to reach (i.e. with little logistical effort) and a good remedy for wrecked nerves? :;): After failing to find such a place in time for las Christmas, the strong need has recently arisen once more. I don't even have the time, strictly speaking, but I'm beginning to realise that it would do me more good than harm to take the time anyway. Just need to get away for a while, but I have so little experience with travel and know next to nothing about organising trips that I'm pretty much at a loss. I'm looking for something calm and pleasant; possibly a pretty, non-hectic town surrounded by lush landscapes that invite hiking, but I'd be content without the town, too. :D As long as there's some sort of hotel or bed and breakfast place or something of the kind.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Stay in Germany, it'll spare you big expenses and choose the valley of any river. The Rhine's for example or any smaller river and rent a bike to follow the banks. Or Bavaria with it's pretty medium altitude mountain ranges.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:55 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

This time of year you can get some good deals on off-season ski resorts if you want to travel a bit further afield - but you are quite a long way from anywhere I know well enough to recommend: it's, what, about 1000 km to get out of Germany southwards?

Still, if you're wanting an expedition to foreign parts - having recently been through the Tyrol, that's nice, peaceful, pretty and comparatively close to home for you, should be fairly accessible. Chamonix/Mont Blanc area or Cortina/Dolomites are also pretty reasonable, but you'd need to get over the mountains to get to them, so it might be logistically difficult. I would say Andorra, but that's a complete nightmare to reach without your own transport.

TripAdvisor.com is a good place to look for accommodation and information once you've decided whereabouts you want to go. Very comprehensive and helpful for comparative prices.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:12 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Chamonix/Mont Blanc area

Since I'm coming back from there, I can say this is a great location with beautiful sceneries, but crowded as hell from late July to end of August. Just a place to avoid during this period of time if you need some tranquility.

Come to think of it, the Mosel valley is really beautiful too. As are the old volcanos in the German Eiffel.

But in fact, you are not too far from Denmark, are you? I guess you could check that possibility. I've been told it is rather expensive a place though...

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:22 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Thanks for the recommendations so far! Yes, it's almost as far as you get from the southernmost border of Germany, don't know the exact distance, but 1000 km might come close... Indeed, Denmark isn't far away at all, but it's also true that all of Scandinavia is pretty expensive. If I had the cash, I'd just take the ferry to Oslo; after all, it leaves almost right in front of my doorstep, so logistically it doesn't get much easier than that. But ColorLine is hilariously expensive. Still, maybe I should look into it - whether I spend all my money on the boat trip or invest in train and/or plane tickets plus transfer to and from the airport etc., it might not make such a great difference, and it'd definitely be much more comfortable... Staying in Germany isn't the worst idea, either. I'm not much of a cyclist, but there are numerous other possibilities, of course. Sometimes I wish I had the advantage that so many people seem to have - having relatives and/or friends in different parts of the world (or of the nation at least). It's funny that you'd mention the Mosel valley, bapho - as a child I went there with my parents on several occasions. I'll need to do some brainstorming now.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

well, I'm in Sicily right now and I would recommend it!

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:22 pm
Forum User

Seems like all I do now is work, save up, quit my job to travel, return to the same job, rinse and repeat. So far been to Germany, Czech Republic (the beer isn't that good), France and Argentina. As far as people and places, I liked Germany the most. It's got the nature, it's got the modern cities and everything in between. Plus it's easy to live on dirt cheap beer and pre-packaged sandwiches.

Haven't seen that much of my own country of Canada. I live off the mainland, so it's more expensive and difficult to get anywhere. I met an English couple down in Argentina. It took them "only" 13 hours to fly down there, where it took me over a full day, and I'm closer.

Would love to visit Japan or mainland China someday. Wish I still had friends in Japan, Tokyo looks daunting to say the least. Will likely visit Argentina again though, even if their metal and booze is mostly crap.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 pm
Forum User

I live in Chile and in southamerica I've been to Argentina (Buenos Aires and Bariloche), Perú (Cuzco and Macchu Picchu), Bolivia (La Paz), and Uruguay (Montevideo). My favourite country in Southamerica is by far Uruguay. Nice, friendly and educated people, relaxed atmosphere, cool city. It's one of those places that don't have anything so spectacular to see, but the sole atmosphere makes you fall in love with the country. They have nice Wines (Tannat) and if you are a carnivore you are in paradise (they DO KNOW their barbecues). Cuzco and Macchu Picchu in Peru are also amazing... although a bit too touristic, but the whole Inka Empire legacy is still alive and you can see/feel it at all times.

Chile has some amazing places too... from the ice fields and glaciers in the south (patagonia) ... lakes and volcanoes in the center and the driest desert in the world in the north. If you like hiking, the outdoors, etc, it's a really cool place to go.

In Europe I've been to Spain (Only Madrid twice), Various cities in the Netherlands, Germany (Love Berlin and Koln), Poland (Krakow, Wroclaw and Poznan), Czech Rep (Prague and the Brutal Assault fest), Ireland (Dublin), Austria (Vienna) and Hungary (Budapest-just touring w/my band for a day).

In general I really love going to Europe, and my favourite places are Berlin (interesting city with a cool vibe) and Poland in general. I've had the luck of meeting many polish friends and they are always really nice, crazy and friendly people, the cities are stunning (Wroclaw and Krakow are my favourite cities in the world so far) and the Wodka is to die for.

www.myspace.com/poemaarcanus

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

UnknownCheese wrote:
Will likely visit Argentina again though, even if their metal and booze is mostly crap.

Just jump to the other side of the mountains. Chile is a far, far more METAL country than Argentina and our booze is pretty good (we are a country of drunks). The sole flight over the Andes is worth it. :;):

www.myspace.com/poemaarcanus

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I've traveled a little bit in the states (From MN)
The only other country I have been to is Russia.
My wife is from there and we visit her family every so often.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

^^ Wow, Russia. I've heard so many things about that country, both positive and negative, I don't really know what to think about it. Which city/cities did you visit? And what was your impression?

myrkarna_sachnoth_noctrum wrote:
Tschusch wrote:
I would like to visit Iceland.

Let me know if you do! We can grab a beer together or I can give you tips on stuff to do. Or what ever.

As if that's going to happen some time soon. Iceland is a bit too expensive for me atm, but hopefully in a few years I'll save enough money to go skinny dipping in one of your geysers. :D And maybe land a job in a movie or two, since there's so many movies now being filmed in Iceland.
But yeah, I've heard the countryside is quite spectacular.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

Haha, I'm glad I saw this topic. I almost started a thread for it in the Off-topic forum.

I'm a US citizen, and I visited both Canada and Mexico as a child, but I can't remember much about being there. My most international travel has been to The Netherlands. My partner lives in a town called Bolsward, up in the northwest. We visit each other every few months, and I actually just booked my airline ticket to go back there this January. I intend on moving there within the next year or so. There's a school in Leeuwarden that I'm interested in attending, and after that, I would like to find work there and try to establish residency. Not only do I love it there, but I also agree much more with their political values than those of the US. Spending a day touring through Amsterdam was one of the best experiences of my life. It was so beautiful and picturesque, looked like the kind of picture you would see on a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. My partner, his family, and I went on a canal through the city, it was excellent. The only thing that took getting used to was the bikes. The area in the US where I live is fairly spread out, so everybody drives if they want to go somewhere. Where they live, the town is more compact and everything is much closer together, so a lot of them commute by bike or transit. I have no problem with bikes, but Dutch bikes seem to be much taller than American bikes, so I found it very difficult to ride. I actually fell several times and nearly crashed into a car while biking through town. :p

Other than that, it is on my bucket list to visit Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Ireland.

What I'm curious to know is if any of you have lived in more than one country, and if so, what was your experience with it? Since I plan on moving overseas, I imagine it's going to be a very long and irritating process before I can settle down there.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:45 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't know... as a European, I've lived in different countries in Europe, so my experience is not comparable to an American moving to Europe. All I can say is that you'll enjoy the Netherlands (or Holland, as I call it... :D )

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:30 pm
Forum User

The Netherlands are fine, but I don't like how it's run. Moving here for foreigners is tough and they are changing the laws about unemployment. Besides that, I like living here.

Which brings me to an update from my last post: I moved to Finland on February 28th and stayed there for 4 months or so, visited Iceland for 10 days (8 too many if you ask me) and then moved to the Netherlands in July. Have driven a road from Zeeland to Eindhoven (where I live) that went through Belgium. That's about it for travels since last time.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next