sidetrackwalker-taos
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
The Covid-19 Pandemic 
Forum User

Post The Covid-19 Pandemic

The medical profession are by nature risk adverse, they say no loss of life is acceptable which makes for a noble persona and signals virtue in gushes. Every decision they make or piece of advice they give is made on purely medical grounds. Add to this Modelling, a profession with its own scientific nobleness, which absolutely should be taken with a pinch of salt. Anyone familiar with modelling will know that even with a good validated model (a rare thing), it will give you garbage out if you put garbage in, and they are often fiddled to support senior management decisions. Put together doctors, modellers and ‘don’t blame me’ politicians and what do you get? Answer; wild predictions of deaths without supporting data, and governments adopting lockdown strategies which I believe has caused the unnecessarily high deaths we have seen in the UK.

I am not criticising the medical profession, their expertise is medicine and their focus is, and should be, on care, treatment and vaccination; they should never have been given responsibility for strategy. Instead this should have gone to experts in problem solving, strategy and planning, and encompassed medical, social and economic issues, but the politicians were too busy hiding behind them saying “I’m just following medical advice”. We needed a strategy that shielded the vulnerable whilst the rest of us got immune as quickly as possible by catching it. Instead we locked down the sick with the healthy, the robust with the vulnerable, the young with the old in their homes like passengers on cruise ships

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:51 am
Forum User

Post Re: The Covid-19 Pandemic

As soon as we realised this was predominantly an old and sick person’s disease, work should have immediately focused on home isolation kits for granny’s bedroom, quarantine procedures for old people’s homes and geriatric wards, and a combination of both for the vulnerable with pre-existing conditions; and anti-body tests, not only for those given access to care for these groups, but also to enable work (and jobs) to tick over until herd immunity was reached.

At the very least before the antibody test became available, nurses and home carers should have gone into 2 week isolation (or 1 week before having a viral test), before changing shifts with those already in the homes and on the wards, and they should have been resident, changing shifts every week or 2 or however the numbers worked out, living with the vulnerable. Instead, the old watched telly in the living room with the sick for days before the sick even knew they were sick; and effort went into next to useless viral testing which only tells you if you have it, and then only if the viral load is high enough, which it may not be in the 5 days before the symptoms appear. This ‘carry on’ comedy would be funny if it wasn’t real life and the mismanagement didn’t kill tens of thousands of loved ones.

Last edited by Beerman on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 am
Forum User

Are we there yet?

Will there be a second wave? The answer is, it depends whether herd immunity has been achieved across the country (it takes 60% of the population to get it). If part of the country was locked down before this 60% immunity was achieved, or there’s a part of the country sufficiently remote where hardly anyone has caught it, then yes, there will be a 2nd wave in those areas. UK, France, Spain and Italy have similar populations, around 60-70 million and similar distribution of population with most living in major cities, with towns, small town and villages in between, all connected by good transport links and with high volume of traffic between them. In comparison with large countries like US, China and Russia, everything is quite close together and often visited. If you look at a graph showing deaths over time for different countries, and there are plenty of them on the internet, you’ll see that the UK, France, Spain and Italy’s curves are almost identical, which suggests to me either it’s all over, or each country has had a tenth, or a half, or whatever of the deaths it is going to have, before non-immune areas are re-opened. But each country locked down at different times, and we now know it goes airborne, which spreads it easily in closed areas, so I think we’ve all had it, only time will tell.

The one country that didn’t lock down was Sweden and they appear to have done no worse that countries that did, suggesting lock down had little affect on the number of deaths. Neither the UK or Sweden shielded their old and the death curves look pretty much the same. Germany is the odd one out, no one knows why they got off so lightly. Germany claimed it was the quality of their healthcare system, but there is no cure for Covid-19 and treatment is little more than sedation. They claimed it was the number of ventilators they had, but the survival rate for those put on them is only 15% to 25%.

There was a lot of criticism of the UK for locking down so late, but I’m OK with that. By the time the UK was locked down in March 2020 the virus had been spreading at least since December 2019, creating immunity country-wide. Countries like Italy though, where the south of the country was locked down quite quickly after the outbreak in the north, and in Spain’s Catalonian region, 2nd waves are a real risk. I could be wrong of course, and if I am, and there is a 2nd wave in the UK, then there’s a 2nd chance for the politicians to save the old if they shield them properly this time and do what they should have done in the first place. Until there is a vaccine available which is probably a year or two away, 60% of us are going to catch it, we need to make sure it’s the 60% it won’t make seriously ill or kill.

2 sites to check out if you want to see graphs showing deaths over time.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

and

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020 ... world-map/ (be sureto click the 'show deaths' button, cases are irrelevant.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:38 pm
Forum User

A few words about these graphs

Cases refer to the number of people that present positive to hospitals, which is a meaningless figure as it doesn’t include those that don’t. The figures for Deaths are not realistic either as although there is no doubt if someone is dead, the figure doesn’t include those that died at home or in care homes that weren’t tested for Covid-19. But the number of deaths at least gave a comparative figure and allowed predictions to be made on when this 1st and hopefully last wave was going to end. Back in April I extrapolated Italy’s death curve on the linear graph shown on worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and predicted a final death toll of 30,000, with the worst of it over by mid May, with the UK 2 weeks behind, reaching its 30,000 deaths by early June.

It turned out the final stages dragged on and a drawn out trickle of deaths added an extra few thousand and a month to the final totals. The UK then changed the way it measured deaths, which was a bizarre thing to do at such a late stage and meant the UK could no longer be compared with figures from other European countries. This was such bad practice; the UK should have presented the new higher figure based on excess deaths above the previous 5 year average in addition to the comparative figure. It meant that the UK now showed 45,000 deaths instead of the 30-35,000 figure, 50% higher. The final totals were UK 45,000, France 30,200, Spain 28,400 and Italy 35,100, although in reality all the countries probably had around 45,000 deaths.

If we have reached herd immunity, then Covid-19 is over, if not, then it isn’t. The figures for deaths per million of population have been surprisingly similar. Even taking the UK’s use of a more realistic number the July 2020 figures are UK 673 per million, France 642, Spain 608 and Italy 581. Sweden which didn’t lock down had 564 per million, although having only a 10 million population, the number they lost had a greater emotional impact. The worst was Belgium which is hardly talked about at 847 per million. The USA stands at 448, but I’d be surprised if it’s over over there, what with it being such a large country. So, without sounding callous, Covid-19 hasn’t been as deadly as early predictions suggested, at least not yet.

But why are we not hearing about why the Asian countries are affected so much less, is it genetic? Why have countries like Germany (110 deaths per million) faired so much better when they adopted the same lockdown strategy? Maybe they will all end up with the same number of deaths in the end if they locked down too early. Germany has 40,000 ICU beds and they only used half of them, By comparison the UK has around 2,000, which I believe was increased to 8.000 with Nightingale Hospitals. But ICU beds are more about care than treatment and would make marginal difference to the overall deaths. Neither does testing which is nowhere near enough to monitor and action infections as they happen to control spread, and Germany actually carried out less tests per million than Italy.

Last edited by Beerman on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:05 am
Forum User

A few words about politicians

I have gone on about the incompetence of governments in managing this pandemic, their failure to implement a strategy that protected the old and the vulnerable which has resulted in the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of the elderly in the UK, and their abdication of responsibility in turning decisions over to medical professionals to avoid people blaming them. I thought mandating wearing a mask now the pandemic is over was a joke at first, now I accept it’s just par for the course.

If I’m going to let off steam about politicians in power, then I need to do the same with politicians in opposition, who have the luxury of hindsight, and boy do they use it. If the unlikely event the prime minister makes a decision, and in the likely event that decision is wrong, the opposition pounce claiming they wouldn’t do that and proceed to undertake a character assassination as if they are running a political campaign for votes at the next election. Instead of working together in a crisis, they work against each other and we end up the worse for it. In response to opposition heckling, the government won’t make the tough calls in case it backfires, and it spends its energy fighting the opposition instead of the coronavirus.

The lack of courage and incompetence of governing politicians and their fear of losing power and the money that goes with it, only demonstrates half a politician’s character. This has to be added to the immoral opportunism and self-serving behaviour of opposition politicians and their hunger to grab power, to give a complete picture of their character. Add the two together and you get; cowardly, incompetent, power hungry, greedy, immoral, opportunistic, and self-serving. I think that covers it; maybe I’d add privileged and slightly dim.

Last edited by Beerman on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:12 pm
Forum User

Face Masks

The UK having gone through the pandemic with close to a thousand dead a day, and coming out the other side to a point where there are next to no new cases and deaths, masks have now been made mandatory. If you don’t wear one you could be fined £100, or more likely, get a hysterical woman with an anxiety disorder screaming at you, and I say woman because I’ve never known a (sober) man do street rage, road rage yes, but never face-to-face street rage. There seems to be a certain type of woman that thrives on verbally abusing strangers who don’t follow the rules; they need to vent a pressure cooker full of pent-up anger, they assume the power of a deputised law enforcement officer, they crave attention, and need to virtue signal their moral high ground; just my observations, I digress. We can now expect such outbursts if we go maskless on public transport, in train and bus stations, airports, shops, supermarkets, shopping centres, banks, building societies, post offices, and when you pick up a takeaway; wonderful.

Social Concerns

Long term mask wearing has social implications. They hide people’s faces and expressions which cuts out a lot of non-verbal communication. People seem less polite, less caring, less trusting, more detached, paranoiac and afraid. At the peak of the pandemic I could understand being told to wear a mask and accept it as a necessary temporary evil, even though I don’t agree with it. But now the covid-19 wave has passed, why bring all this crap into our society when you don’t have to? And before you say ‘to stop a 2nd wave from happening’, I would say ‘masks are so ineffective, they won’t’.

Masks are so ineffective

Mask wearing was practiced in Italy, Spain and France to varying degrees, and not practiced at all in the UK. The curves showing death rates for these countries (allowing for the UK’s move to recording excess deaths), are almost identical indicating mask wearing had no significant impact on the number of deaths.

The World Health Organisation and the Centre for Disease Control have changed their recommendations from ‘not effective’, to ‘user discretion’, to ‘mandatory’ in accordance with political and financial pressures. University research departments are queuing up to advise governments to mandate mask wearing and secure future research funding by doing so. Some of these universities are the ones that predicted millions of dead in the UK with their useless modelling, and who recommended the opposite on mask wearing not so long ago,

The medical evidence that masks work is based on high-speed photography of a sneeze travelling 12 metres and shouting traveling over the 2m social distancing recommendation. So put your hand over your mouth when you cough and sneeze like your mummy told you, “you dirty boy”, and STOP SHOUTING, especially irate women who have a go at you for not wearing a facemask. When was the last time you saw someone sneeze or cough in public without stifling it? When was the last time you were in a supermarket and someone let rip with a huge unrestrained sneeze or coughed repeatedly with their mouth fully open, on top of their lungs? Indeed, when was the last time you even noticed someone sneezing or coughing in a supermarket?

Masks reduce the distance water droplets containing coronavirus travel, but mask effectiveness comes with a few caveats; they have to be fitted properly, they have to be regularly changed/washed, the coronavirus soaked mask has to be disposed of correctly as it will contaminate everything it touches and anyone who touches it. I am not aware of any studies into the extent these caveats are being met.

When masks or cloth face coverings becomes wet from the moisture in our breath, any droplets containing the virus in suspension soaks through to the outside of the mask. Touching the outside of the mask contaminates the hands, which in a supermarket setting makes wearing a mask no different to putting your hand over your mouth when you touch the products and surfaces.

The masks we are talking about here are not sealed around the face. Aerosol droplets and 0.1 micron viruses are still released into the air in a cloud around your head. Indoors, this is as much an airborne infection risk as propelling the cloud across the room; people are still going to walk into it.

Medical concerns

The message that comes with ‘wear a face mask’ is; they won’t stop the infected infecting the uninfected because they are not sealed and don’t cover the eyes, but they will help stop an infected person coughing and sneezing droplets containing the virus all over you. So the whole point of face masks is they are worn by the infected.

I am concerned about the risks to a person infected with Covid-19 wearing a mask. The medical advice has been to maintain a clean air circulation by opening windows or extracting air using air conditioning. A mask does the opposite and restricts the supply of fresh air. Masks may increase the virus load in the lungs of a sick person, acting like a warm, damp incubator, and make a sick person sicker.

There has been some hysteria about masks causing CO2 poisoning if you wear one most of the day, every day, I’ve not heard of any doctors or nurses who wear them most of the day succumbing to anything like this, but I do know children under the age of 11 have been excused wearing masks because their lungs are not as strong as an adults. Well, neither are the lungs of a person suffering from a bad attack of Covid-19. Masks may not reduce O2 by any significant amount in healthy people, but any reduction in oxygen in a covid-19 sick person may reduce already low oxygen blood saturation to dangerously low levels.

The medical profession has given mixed advice on masks, ranging from yes to no to you decide. There is little medical research that I’m aware of into wearing masks long term, probably because that is not what they were designed for. Many people have expressed concerns about CO2 build-up, O2 deprivation and increase in Cortisol levels leading to anxiety, and what the impact of these have on already Covid-19 infected people, including those that are asymptomatic. When the question is asked ‘will it make a sick person worse?’, the response has been ‘there is no evidence that it does’. But this also means there is no evidence that it doesn’t, which probably means it’s not been studied. Putting on a mask is a proactive thing; it should be proven safe to do so for infected people, before it is mandated.

Wearing a mask is not logical

If you are asymptomatic, you won’t be coughing and sneezing anyway, so why do you need a mask to stop coughs and sneezes? If you are asymptomatic and did per chance coughed, then the 2 metre separation rule plus putting your hand over your mouth would just as easily prevent any spread.

If you are symptomatic and you are coughing and sneezing all over the place, then you’d be self-isolating anyway, and when you emerged 14 days later, you wouldn’t be contagious even if you still had the cough.

Last edited by Beerman on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:03 am
Forum User

Bloody awful strategy

The government got the strategy wrong right at the very beginning by attempting to ‘Flatten the Curve’, referring to reducing the rate of Covid-19 hospital admissions, so that Intensive Care Units could cope. To slow the infections down the medical advisers and infectious diseases modellers came up with locking down the population and shutting down the economy, and politicians went along with it. This was to have tremendous knock-on effects on non-Covid-19 medical care, mental health, and the economy, and it will detrimentally impact our society for years to come.

As an example, The Lancet estimates over the next 5 years there will be between 3291 and 3621 deaths from currently undiagnosed/untreated breast, colorectal, oesophageal and lung cancer alone. These figures assume the cancers they are diagnosed now, and are in addition to the current excess deaths from Covid-19 which are based on rolling 5-year historical data. No doubt there will be additional deaths from undiagnosed/untreated heart, liver, kidney and lung diseases, hypertension and suicides.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lano ... 70-2045(20)30388-0/fulltext

‘Flattening the Curve’ through lockdown aimed to spread the deaths out, it never addressed ending the pandemic. Without a treatment or vaccine, only herd immunity would slow the rate of hospitalisations and ICU workload. Locking sick and healthy people together in their homes was only ever going to result in everyone in that home getting sick, and the elderly seriously so. Locking healthy people together in their homes only worked if everyone stayed there in quarantine, but essential workers who couldn’t work from home still had to go to work and people still had to go out to buy food. Lockdown was an ineffective, destructive, unsustainable solution that had little or no effect on ‘Flattening the Curve’; all it did was screw the economy.

The workload in the ICUs was never controlled, the disease ran its course and some ICUs coped and others didn’t. Without a treatment, the main function of the ICU was care by providing oxygen, a saline drip, and sedation for the seriously ill. The ICUs did treat secondary infections that many of the seriously ill developed, so their role wasn’t entirely helping the body to heal itself.

Then there was the ventilator hysteria. Ventilators were portrayed as a treatment rather than the final stages of care which is what they were. With a survival rate as low as 15 % for those with extensive lung damage, pneumonia and ARDS, and with further deaths expected in the 1st year, and with life-long injuries expected in many of the survivors; the medical advisors said nothing about this misconception. Instead they supported the politicians, who finally had something they could be seen to be doing. They moved hell and high water to buy or build thousands of ventilators. You could see the political competition to be the saviour of the dying.

I remember getting so angry at the telly watching Governor Cuomo of New York pleading for more ventilators to cover the numbers of predicted sick that might overwhelm the hospitals, whilst moving the Covid-19 infected people into care homes from the streets. OK, it’s not his fault, he’s a politician so he’s going to be a bit dim, but his bad decisions caused so much unnecessary suffering and death. Where were the medical advisers who said nothing when he was doing all this? I digress talking about US. Our UK politicians didn’t do much better with our care homes. I suppose at least they didn’t go out of their way to bump the old ones off; so grateful for small mercies.

Of course the ICUs needed their workload controlled, but this could and should have been done with home care. Maybe half those that went into hospital could have stayed at home with home deliveries of oxygen and drips. There would need to be some basic training on how to use the equipment and the procedures to follow given to the carer, and probably some visits from a district nurse. If they got sicker then send them to the hospital, but the ones that got better would mean less load on the ICUs and they could have better looked after the seriously ill without working themselves into the ground trying to care for everyone.

It’s not clear the difference ICU made to death totals, they did no harm. I suspect those that were strong enough to recover would have recovered with home or hospital care, and those that were not strong enough would have died anyway but at least the ICU spared them the panic and the pain, so good on them.

Last edited by Beerman on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:38 am
Forum User

Interesting video, came out 18 July 20, just watched it today

It is so refreshing to hear common sense spoken by non-political medical specialists. It would seem the medical profession's promotion elevator stops short of the top floor where the self-serving elite live, just like in every other profession. It's no wonder the advice given to politicians is so bad, it doesn't come from guys like these.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 pm
Forum User

Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2

Imagine you lived in a cell in your body; it might seem like a cell at times during lockdown, but it’s your home and there’s no place like home. Hopefully your castle is a place of sanctuary and safety; somewhere to conduct the normal activities of life, have a shower, go to the toilet, cook a meal, go to bed, watch the telly. If you have kids; it’s somewhere to bring them up. When it’s cold and wet outside, inside it’s cosy. It’s somewhere to keep your processions safe and enjoy them. Of all the fears we have, perhaps homelessness and destitution sit not too far below death. The feminist Virginia Woolf once said “A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction”; she speaks of the fiction she writes about herself to be accepted by society, of the fiction she writes about herself to serve herself, and the fiction she writes in response to the fiction that is written about her; but I digress.

Perhaps the most important feature of your home is your front door, it separates the outside which can be a scary place, from the inside where your home is. I know it’s more symbolic as most doors can be broken down quite easily; even the strongest of doors can’t withstand a professional battering ram. But we are only a phone call away from the police if someone tries, and hopefully the door is strong enough to give you time to make that phone call.

If the human cell is your home, then Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2 (ACE2) is your front door, and the Coronavirus is a heavily pregnant alien spider monster from Mars, that is going to walk through it whether you like it or not. What ACE2 does is important because when the monster from Mars breaks your door down, the things ACE2 does stop being done, and the row this monster makes will alert the immune system police, who will turn up looking all bad-arse, cool and menacing with their guns and their dark sunglasses, and promptly make matters worse. By the time they have finished they would have turned a domestic incident into a riot that burns down the whole neighbourhood; and this riot can kill you, assuming that Coronavirus (the heavily pregnant alien spider monster from Mars), doesn’t kill you first.

Coronavirus is what Coronavirus does

So what is ACE2, what does it do, why is there a riot going on outside, why has Coronavirus kicked your front door in, and what does she want?

Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2 as the name suggests is an enzyme. What’s an enzyme? It’s a catalyst protein that initiates and regulates reactions and processes, like turning a hormone into a different hormone. What’s a hormone? Most are proteins, they send messages between cells, telling them what to do. What’s a protein? It’s the building block of most things in the human cell you call home, from the bricks in the wall to the front door Coronavirus has just walked through.

What does ACE2 do? It helps regulates blood pressure and the fluid in the body. ACE and ACE2 work together to control blood pressure; ACE increases it, ACE2 decreases it. They do this by constricting and dilating blood vessels. If an organ needs blood, ACE will restrict blood flow to the arms and legs and ACE2 will open up blood flow to the organ that needs blood. Because of this, ACE2 can be found all found all over the body, in the major organs, GI track and Blood vessels, which make the whole body a target from Covid-19.

Why is there a riot going on outside? Because the immune police keep calling for reinforcements who are not up to the job. All they are doing is inflaming the situation.

Why has Coronavirus kicked your front door in, and what does she want? She wants to eat you and have her babies so that they can eat you too, and eat next door, and the neighbourhood. She just wants to see the world burn. She can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with. She doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and she absolutely will not stop; ever, until you are dead.

Last edited by Beerman on Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:20 am
Forum User

How coronavirus kills

The virus enters through the lungs and attacks the ACE2 on the lung’s cell walls. Its destination is the Alveoli air sacs where the Oxygen gets absorbed by the blood because that’s the door to the rest of the body. The receptors on the surface of the virus match exactly the receptors on ACE2 and it either squeezes through the centre of the ACE2, or more likely squirts its contents down it leaving the husk outside. Once inside the cell, the virus reproduces until the cell can hold no more and it ruptures spilling the virus clones out to infect neighbouring cells.

At first a call to the local Innate Immune police brings varies types of white blood cells, who are completely unprepared for the heavily pregnant alien spider monster from Mars that awaits them; “What can men do against such reckless hate?” one officer is heard to say. So, more calls are made and more white cell Old Bill turn up, bigger and badder this time, some are natural born killers with big guns.

Now I know all infections are created equal, but some are more equal than others and when they get bad and you think they can’t get any worse, they turn into Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and it’s a killer. So, before this happens the Innate Immune police call the Adaptive Immune special agents and they arrive ready to take on space monsters. Unfortunately when they get there, about 3 days later, they find they’ve not got this bad mother on record and their bullets just keep bouncing off her. The best they can do is take down her particulars and take a few pictures so that they can put her on file for future reference.

And so the battle rages, and the inflammation gets worse, and the lungs fill up with liquid. And the more white cell cops and special agents turn up and join the fight, the worse the inflammation gets and the worse the phenomena gets, and still calls go out for more Immune Agent Smiths to take on this Neo of a beast. These calls are made by Cytokines, tiny hormones that call for reinforcements, and when they just keep calling because nothing is working, it’s called a Cytokine Storm and it signals the beginning of the end. If the riot has gone on this long and the immune coppers are still overwhelmed, then chances are the grim reaper called ARDS is about to arrive. The lungs will have become solid with liquid saturation, what’s left of the delicate air sac alveoli will have almost filled with fluid, suffocating the patient; and all that’s left is sedation, ventilation and death, and it’s not a good way to go.

If the beast is beaten back and the patient survives the ‘Battle of the Lungs’, then chances are what’s left has gone to hell in a handcart. The Battle of the Lungs may be over, but the war goes on as the monster and her children slip through the wreckage into the blood stream on a search for more ACE2 doors and the yummy cells that sit behind them. As they enter the blood stream, they notice the blood vessels also contain ACE2 on their walls and the virus gives them a kick in the bollocks too, or to put it another way, Covid-19 causes contraction of the blood vessels and a reduction in the hormone that regulates the release of blood clotting agents. And what does unregulated release of blood clotting agents mean? It means restricted and blocked blood vessels.

Some people who fought the virus in their lungs died from the blood clots before the ARDS could take hold. Some survived the lung attack and thought they were getting better only to show symptoms of cardiac, renal, and GI distress and mental confusion; and some of these died from thrombosis-induced heart attacks, strokes, renal failure and dementia.

As the pandemic progressed, it became apparent that some people with little or no Covid-19 symptoms were starting to show symptoms of cardiac, renal, pulmonary and GI distress, and some died suddenly of strokes and heart attacks. This was one of the factors that prompted the UK to include deaths in the UK that were above the rolling 5-year average. These were referred to as 'excess deaths' and although it wasn't clear why more people had died, it was assumed to be Covid-19 related, and that's not an unreasonable assumption. The UK figure for the number of deaths is therefore more accurate when you compare it with other similar European countries like Italy, France and Spain, because it counts elderly deaths in care homes, at home, and those that died of heart attacks, strokes etc., likely caused by Covid-19.

It also became apparent that pre-existing health conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity and cardio-vascular heart disease were having significant impact on outcome. Patients with these issues probably already had constricted blood vessels and high oxidative stress levels, and Covid-19 entering the blood would likely mean pushing these oxidative stress levels into the red. What’s oxidative stress? Too much cellular disinfectant.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:13 pm
Forum User

Time for a disclaimer to put this tread into context

All I’ve said up to now has been doctor’s first baby steps. There’s not a medical professional out there that will claim they know anything for sure because this is a novel virus and it could take years before we know;

1. who it infects,
2. how it infects person to person,
3. how it spreads demographically,
4. how to prevent waves of infection,
5. how infectious it is,
6. how to minimise and prevent infection,
7. whether there is reinfection,
8. the nature of immunity,
9. the symptoms presented by people affected differently by covid-19,
10. the asymptomatic if they contribute to the spread of Covid-19,
11. diagnosis and treatment of long haulers,
12. how it behaves in the body,
13. have a range of treatment for a range of severity of symptoms,
14. monitoring, diagnosis and treatments for Covid-19 triggered diseases,
15. safe and effective vaccine,
16. side effects,
17. actual infection rates by age and underlying health condition with outcomes from asymptomatic to death,
18. a proper strategy for the next one.

I'll add more at the end if I think of any.

Many medical professionals don’t even agree on what they think they know. I think it can be summed up as; doctor’s disagree on what they think they know, they disagree on what they don’t know, and but they all agree they don’t know what don’t know.

But it’s important to take first baby steps, you can’t walk without them and you can’t run before you can walk, and the bottom line is people are dying now, and wide-spread job losses, poverty and homelessness are looming for millions of people because of the Covid-19 shut down, and this is not an academic exercise. It is absolutely right to say what we think we know now, so we can build on it and reach a point where we all agree we know what we know and we are pretty sure there are no longer things we don’t know. So there ya go.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:46 am
Forum User

Old age is a ship wreak

Why do maybe up to 80% of Covid-19 infected people, either get no symptoms, or at most mild cold symptoms? Why do maybe 15% get horrible flu-like symptoms and need oxygen and drips, and why do the remaining 5% develop the severe life threatening conditions such as of pneumonia or ARDS? And why is it almost entirely the old and those with pre-existing health conditions that make up that 20% at high risk and the 5% that go on to develop severe conditions?

ACE and ACE2 vary with age and gender

ACE and ACE2 don’t control the blood pressure and water management systems directly; this is done by Angiotensin. ACE is called Angiotensin Converting Enzyme because it converts a form of Angiotensin called AT1 into AT2. This is the protein that increases blood pressure. If it build s and an imbalance occurs with ACE2, it can cause hypertension, increased inflammatory response, constricted blood vessels and fluid in the lungs. There is also some evidence is reduces the strength of the heartbeat.

Fortunately ACE2 stops it building up as it converts some the AT1 into another form of Angiotensin called AT1,7 which lowers blood pressure and only has healthy side effects. How much AT1 does ACE2 convert to AT1,7? Enough to counter balance the system and achieve the desired outcome which is high and low blood pressures where it’ s needed, and equilibrium when no one don’t need nothing. When ACE2 isn’t needed, to stop it interacting with AT2, a blocker is put over its receptors, which is removed when it’s time for ACE2 to go into action.

ACE2 varies with age, health an dgenetics. The young are generally more fit and healthy than the old and have a good balance of ACE and ACE2. As you get older you tend to be more sedentary and have more health issues. Because the old have less ACE2, it never gets a break and the blocker over its receptors is never off. This leaves the ACE2 receptors open to Covid-19.

I read somewhere the tipping point is around 70 where ACE2-ACE imbalance starts to cause problems and it gets worse as you older. So, Reduction in ACE- 2 is more profound as you get older, is more profound in men than women, and is further reduced by certain health conditions like diabetes. All this seems to be borne out by the age, gender and health condition profiles of the people that come into ICUs, and in the mortality outcomes.

In the early days of Covid-19 people on blood pressure medication were thought to be at risk from taking medications that end in ‘pril’ like Lisinopril because they were ACE Inhibitors. Doctor’s thought reducing the ACE would increase ACE2 and make the person more susceptible to Covid-19 infection, because there would be more ACE2 receptors for the Coronavirus to latch on to; the exact opposite seems to be the case. By reducing ACE with an ACE Inhibitor, the amount of AT1 converted to AT2 is reduced, which in turn reduces the life threatening side effects of excess AT2. There’s probably such as ACE-ACE2 imbalance in the elderly that an ACE Inhibitor would have little effect on it. The thinking now is, it’s the excess AT2 that increases the likelihood of infection, not increased ACE2.

The problem with going off half-cocked

But it just shows you why you shouldn’t charge in like a bull in a china shop, before you understand what is going on, or you could make matters work, i.e. doctor’s now think ACE Inhibitors are good not bad, it’s a good thing those with high blood pressure, many of whom were elderly, didn’t stop taking them. This why I worry about fast tracking vaccines, we don’t fully understand the virus yet and how it impacts the body as a whole; who know what a rushed corner-cut vaccine is going to upset. But I digress.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:37 am
Forum User

Death Rates

It is impossible to ignore the data showing Asian countries claim to have far lower death rates, so I’m going to look at some of these Far Eastern figures. I’m excluding countries like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh in the South West of the continent.

The temptation is to go straight to "they are lying", but there could be at least 7 reason reasons that could explain it;

1. Testing the Dead. Some countries may not record all the Covid19 deaths. They may not record excess deaths, or not recognise Covid-19 related deaths as being part of the death rate. They may not have the technology, expertise or money to do all this testing.

2. Censorship. Some countries may indeed be lying; for political or economic reasons to protect their tourism and economy, or as a matter of national pride.

3. More to Come. Some countries have implemented early strict lockdowns could mean more deaths to come in a cycle of reopen- new wave- new lockdown.

4. More Elderly. Some countries may have larger elderly populations, in different states of health, with varying underlying heath conditions.

5. Demographics. Large developed countries tend to have large populations concentrated in major cities with expanses of empty land, small towns and farms with low population in between. Small developed countries tend to have city sprawl that joins the cities up. In Asia, China is the large developed country; Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan are small ones. There are also lesser developed medium sized countries like Thailand and Vietnam. These tend to have fewer cities with high population density and many poor living in substandard crowded conditions; and they have a larger proportion of their population living in between the cities in the rural villages. European countries tend to be middle sized, with major cities, intercity sprawl, with large and small towns and villages dotted across what’s left of a once far bigger countryside. This is important because Covid-19 will spread differently and at different rates across different demographics. Obviously the virus is going to spread faster in crowded cities, but may be contained for a while if it is isolated by wilderness. Where there is city sprawl, there is no such firewall. Whether isolation is broken in cities depends on the and transportation links and traffic flow from outside into the city.

6. Poverty. The countries with significant numbers of poor are most likely going to see the most rapid spread. This is not because the virus cares about a person’s income, but rather the city poor tend to work in low paid service industries in contact with loads of people, in poor working conditions. The poor form the majority of workers in industries like rubbish collection and human waste processing, where they are more likely to catch it. They tend to have a poorer diet, live in substandard housing, and in less sanitary conditions. The poorest of the poor tend to live together in slums, mainly because they are not tolerated anywhere else. These are magnets for the homeless living on the streets, drug users and prostitutes, all of which add to the contagion risk. Slums may be isolated demographically from the rest of the population but the virus doesn’t stay at home when the infected person goes to work. In Asian cities, the poor tend to live out of sight in rooms crafted from broom cupboards and the space under stairwells, or in what are referred to as ‘coffin houses’ where there is only room to lie down. In larger countries millions of poor live in the countryside isolated from the cities and from each other.

7. Genetics. This is the point of this post. To eliminate as many of the other possible causes of low Asian death rates, to assess the likelihood of a genetic reason. Genetics may impact infection, severity of symptoms and the outcome, either directly, or through susceptibility to underlying health conditions.

I’m only going to compare countries against the UK, partly because I think it’s all over, over here, so it would be a good benchmark, plus we use excess deaths so the UK figures are more accurate, plus I live here, so if other countries suggest it isn’t over, over here then I want to know about it. The UK has 677 deaths/million population, a population of 68m and a population density of 281 people/Sq Km.

Asia Death Rates

I’m discounting Cambodia, Mongolia and Laos as these have 0 deaths and very low density populations; they are largely empty countries with 0 death/million.

I’m discounting Vietnam, Taiwan and Thailand which claim less than 1 death per million despite having large populations and high population densities. If we look at testing per million of population, Vietnam has done 4,400 tests/m, Taiwan 3,500 tests/m and Thailand 10,300 tests/m. When compared with the 243,000 tests/m in the UK, they are pretty poor. If they can’t or won’t do testing, maybe they can’t or won’t record the cause of death as Covid-19. Take Taiwan; 0.3 deaths per million population, 24 million people, with a packed 673 people per Sq Km. and they claim only 475 cases and 7 deaths from Covid-19.

But even discounting these countries for reporting such low death rates under such unlikely conditions, I’m being generous with the rest. Let's go through them;

1. Hong Kong and Singapore have the 3rd and 4th highest population densities on Earth, yet only report 4 and 5 deaths per million respectively. Note that New York recorded nearly 33,000 deaths and London, which is more spread out, reported over 6,000 deaths.

2. South Korea reports 5 deaths per million with a population of 53m and Japan reports 8 deaths per million with a population of 126m. Both have high density populations, 527 for South Korea and 347 for Japan. South Korea claim 300 deaths and Japan 1000 deaths. Compare these figures with the UK’s population density way lower at 281 people per Sq Km, and there were 46,000 deaths in the UK.

3. Philippines claim 18 deaths/m with a population of 109m and a density of 368/Sq Km, Indonesia claim 19 deaths/m with a whopping population of 473m and a density of 151/Sq Km.

4. And what about China? The largest population on earth, 1439 million people, some of the most crowded cities on Earth, including Macao just over the water from Hong Kong with an unbelievable 21,645 people per Sq Km, they must all live stacked on top of each other. Even taking the huge expanses of wilderness in China, their population density still works out at 153 people per Sq Km, comparable with France which has a density of 119 people per Sq Km. China claim a death rate of 3 people per million population, that’s 4,600 deaths; compared that with France’s 30,000 deaths from Covid-19.

5. Compare China’s city of Macao with its population density of 21,645 people/Sq Km, with New York at 10,914 people per Sq Km, it’s nearly double, and yet the claim is just 4,600 have died in the whole of China, including Macao where people must sleep upright, than died in New York. 32,773 died in New York, an absolute tragedy.

6. And what about Japan? A death rate of 8 people per million (about 1% of the UK), from a population of 126m (about twice the UK), and a population density of 347 People/Sq Km (about 25% higher than the UK).

So what’s going on? Let’s go through the list;

Testing the Dead. The UK has done 260,000 tests per million, comparable with Singapore but then they’ve only got 5m people to test, so it’s not been as logistically difficult or expensive to do. Then comes Hong Kong with 79,000 tests per million with 7.5m people to test, then comes the big one, China with 63,000 tests per million, but this is an impressive feat when you consider the size of their population, and amounts to a whopping 90.4 million tests, it must have cost a fortune and taken an army to do. Malaysia has done 30,000 tests per million and the rest are not worth even talking about.

We don’t know the extent to which these tests were conducted on the dead as well as the living to confirm cause of death, but let’s assume if they tested the living, then they tested the dead. This means all but Singapore and Hong Kong; and China for the shear number of people tested, have taken testing seriously. The rest probably just don’t know how many have died.

Censorship. Singapore, Hong Kong and China, have a lot to lose financially as these are three of the main economic power houses of the far east, especially China who also have a political world stage position to maintain. Add to this the Chinese absolutely hate to lose face, an ethnicity trait common to most Asian countries, and censorship is a real possibility.

More to Come. Is it plausible that Wuhan has been the only city infected when the sick don’t develop symptoms for days and could have travelled anywhere? Singapore and Hong Kong are so crowded, they should all have been infected and be immune by now, if not they can’t be far off. The most likely explanation is the death rate reported by all three countries is inaccurate, and there is more to come in China.

More Elderly. Another ethnicity custom is for the old to be taken care of by the young and to live with them, although less so in the cities. When they do live in multigenerational homes, they are more vulnerable to Covid-19 infection especially if locked down with an infected family member. China has the most aging population in the world, with nearly 18% over the age of 60, that’s 259 million people at high risk of death from Covid-19. Compare this with the UK, which has 12 million people over the age of 65 but with a far high death rate.

Demographics. China, Singapore and Hong Kong have high density cities. I believe China’s cities are quite isolated, but I’m happy to be corrected on that. I know Beijing and Macao are bigger than some small countries and they are crowded beyond belief. All of which suggest high rates of infections and significant death rates we just are not seeing.

Poverty. China, Singapore and Hong Kong have big income inequality and they all have plenty of poor. Singapore has one of the highest inequality ratings amongst all the Asian countries, and Hong Kong has been ranked one of the most unequal wealth cities in the world.

Genetics. Clearly Asia's inadequate testing does not support claims for low death rates and clearly their high elderly populations do not either. Their strict lockdowns may, as we may only have seen the tip of the mortality iceberg. Their small country demographic supports high death rates and their large country demographics as found in China really depends on the traffic between cities so I’m unclear on that. That leaves genetics.

Are Asians genetically resistant?

The Asian country with the highest death rate is Malaysia with 277 deaths/m in a population of 32m, with a population density 99/Sq Km. If China with a reported death rate of 3/m had the same death rate as Malaysia at 277 deaths/m, then China would have had 400,000 dead by now. If China had the UK’s death rate of 680 deaths/m, it would have nearly a million dead, which is more than the 690,000 that have died in the world so far.

If China is not covering up the death rate, then their strict lockdown strategy may have worked to slow down the deaths until a vaccine is found and the population is inoculated. Until then the deaths can be expected to rise, maybe to a million, until they reach herd immunity. The alternative is China, and the rest of the Asian countries, are genetically less susceptible to Covid-19. I’m not sure what we do with such information from a treatment perspective in the UK.

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am
Forum User

European Death Rates

Let’s compare some European countries. I’m going to exclude countries with populations less than 10m as this will distort the death rate. These include the Baltic, Balkan, and Scandinavian countries. I’ll use Sweden as a comparator as it openly went against the lockdown strategy that was eventually followed by the UK. The exclusion list also includes Austria, Monaco, Luxemburg, Ireland, Portugal and Switzerland for the same reason.

I’m also going to exclude Eastern European countries including Russia, as in addition to low populations, most have low population densities, and most have claimed very low deaths rates, and I’m going to exclude Greece and Turkey for the same reasons as well. That leaves;

Germany........... 110 deaths/m, 84m population, 240 pop density/Sq Km
Netherlands..... 359 deaths/m, 17m population, 508 pop density/Sq Km
France.............. 463 deaths/m, 65m population, 119 pop density/Sq Km
Italy................. 581 deaths/m, 60m population, 206 pop density/Sq Km
Spain............... 608 deaths/m, 47m population, 94 pop density/Sq Km
UK................... 677 deaths/m, 68m population, 281 pop density/Sq Km
Belgium........... 849 deaths/m, 11m population, 383 pop density/Sq Km

Netherlands and Belgium are small densely populated countries with little isolatory countryside to protect one city from another. I’m going to Focus on Belgium, as I assume the Netherlands will eventually suffer Belgium’s death rate.

If we apply the Belgium death rate to the UK we get about 58,000 deaths, so we’d have another 12,000 more deaths to come, but studying the death curve for the UK it is clearly plateauing. It is far more likely that the Belgium death rate is not comparable with the UK due to Belgium’s low population distorting it. Sweden on the other had does have a very close population to Belgium, but it like many of its Scandinavian neighbours, it has huge unpopulated wildernesses that reach right up into the Arctic. Much of its population is concentrated in just a few cities down south. It has a population density of just 25 people per Sq Km compared with Belgium’s 383. Comparing Belgium and Sweden death rates we see Sweden had significantly less deaths per million without lockdown than Belgium did with lockdown.

Belgium......... 849 deaths/m, 11m population, 383 pop density/Sq Km
Sweden........ 568 deaths/m, 10m population, 25 pop density/Sq Km

Belgium and Sweden’s death rates also brings into sharp focus the disparity with Asian countries that have similar demographics, but vastly reduced death rates like crowded Taiwan with 0.3 deaths per million in their 23m population.

The Big 5

That leaves the big 5 medium-sized countries with similar populations, similar demographics, some more densely populated than others, some with more isolatory countryside between cities than others, but all with effective traffic transportation links between cities and lots of traffic using them; and all followed similar lockdown strategies, albeit some earlier than others.

Germany.......... 110 deaths/m, 84m population, 240 pop density/Sq Km
France............. 463 deaths/m, 65m population, 119 pop density/Sq Km
Italy................. 581 deaths/m, 60m population, 206 pop density/Sq Km
Spain............... 608 deaths/m, 47m population, 94 pop density/Sq Km
UK................... 677 deaths/m, 68m population, 281 pop density/Sq Km

Looking at the Deaths/m of UK, France, Italy and Spain, they are basically the same, the average being 582 plus or minus 92. Take into account the UK’s use of excess deaths and I think we can safely say they are the same at around 680 deaths per million. Or put it like this; there’s nothing I’ve seen that suggests the UK figure of 680 deaths/m doesn’t represent the final death rate for Covid-19. Or to put it another way; I hope it’s not higher.

But what about Germany? I can only suggest that, just as the Netherlands will eventually reach the mortality rate of Belgium, so Germany will eventually reach the 680 Deaths/m of the UK. If that’s the case, then Germany can expect to see a rise in deaths from 9,000 to 57,000, unless a vaccine becomes available to the population. It’s still unclear to me how Germany successfully used lockdown to slow deaths; no one else managed it. France, Italy, Spain and UK all locked down and it didn’t make the slightest bit of difference. Sweden didn’t lockdown and that didn’t make the slightest bit of difference either. Maybe Germany anticipated the virus coming from its neighbours and managed to lockdown before their first wave hit.

Covid-19 data taken from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Population data taken from: https://www.worldometers.info/world-pop ... y-country/

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:39 pm
Forum User

Covid-19 when you live on top of each other

Northeast USA is a highly populated place, and something happened there, that (if we believe what we are being told by the rest of the world is correct), is unique, at least for now. That something was New York, and it told us what happens when Covid-19 runs out of control in an overpopulated city and the impact that has on its Metro area. It’s important not to gloss over this because there are lessons to be learnt for other overpopulated cities in terms of what they can expect if they don’t prepare for it. It might be too late now anyway, but there are lessons for all to learn for the next big one that comes along.

New York City was the epicentre and it spread out into its Metro area; into the surrounding states, as well as New York State. The States I’m talking about are,

Massachusetts 7m, 336 people/Sq Km, size 27k, Sq km, 8,638 deaths
New Hampshire, 1.4m, 57 people/Sq Km, size 24k Sq Km, 417 deaths
Vermont, 0.6m, 26 people/Sq Km, size 25k Sq Km, 57 deaths
New York, 19.5m, 162 people/Sq Km, size 141k Sq Km, 32,750 deaths
New Jersey, 8.9m, 470 people/Sq Km, size 23k Sq Km, 15,913 deaths
Maryland, 6m, 238 people/Sq Km, size 32k Sq Km, 3,523 deaths
Delaware, 9.7m, 187 people/Sq Km, size 7k Sq Km, 589 deaths
Connecticut 3.6m, 286 people/Sq Km, size 14k, 4,432 deaths
Pennsylvania 12.8m, 110 people/Sq Km, size 119k Sq Km, 7,293 deaths

Total population 61m
Total density 208 people/Sq Km
Total size 413k Sq Km,
Total Deaths 73,612

Northeast USA Demographics

These States follow a pattern; centres of high population in the Metro areas adjoining New York City, then large areas of low population, with most people spread out living in small towns. There’s a lot of unemployment and poverty in what’s known as ‘The Rust Belt‘ that encircles New York Metro, so the communities there are pretty isolated from each other and from New York Metro. The Metro area population density is unremarkable for a suburb surrounding a large city, and the suburbs sprawl and merge into each other, just as they do around London.

New York State Demographics

NY State has a population of 19.5m which breaks down as; 6m Upstate and 13.5m Metro which includes 8.5m New York City.

Land area for the State breaks down as; Upstate 106k Sq Km, Metro 34k Sq Km, and New York City less than 1k Sq Km.

New York Upstate provides a firebreak that slows the virus spread down, cooling its intensity, and stopping it burning into the next adjoining state like Vermont and Maine; and it’s the same for Pennsylvania’s part of New York’s Metro, it probably spared Maryland and Washington DC from a much worse outbreak. It’s not unlike a forest fire, which uses the same technique to bring it back under control.

Death Rates

The overpopulation of New York City is being hidden by including the Upstate population density. The number of deaths in the metro area was 32, 800, in NYC it was 23,433. The death rate for NY State is 1,687 people/m, but the hidden death rate for NYC Metro which crosses State boarders is 3,944 people/m.

To put this death rate into perspective, going back to the World-O-Meter Coronavirus list https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and clicking on the death/m heading, we see Belgium is No.1 with 850 deaths/m. Ignore San Marino, it’s a tiny mini state in Italy left over from medieval times with a population and size of a small town, same goes for Andorra, except it’s on the Spanish/French boarder; they shouldn’t be the list really. The USA is therefore at No.8 with 488 death/m. If New York City were listed separately it would be at No.1 at nearly 6 times higher than the UK and nearly 9 times higher than the USA current figure. To say New York was a disaster, is putting it mildly. Sure, there were mistakes made regarding shielding the elderly properly, but at the heart of the problem is overpopulation of cities in this new age of the virus.

Predicted deaths from overpopulated cities

The object is not to score political points, but to learn lesions and implement measures. The table below shows some overpopulated cities in Asia, about which they need to do something; and by that I mean have plans in place to shield the elderly, just like NYC didn’t, and start depopulation before the next killer virus hits. The predicted deaths assume 3,944 death/m as calculated for the NY Metro area multiplies by the city’s population.

New York City Metro... 8.5m, 10,400 people/Sq Km, 32,800 actual deaths
Hong Kong.................. 7.5m, 7,096 people/Sq Km, 3,755 deaths, predicted 30,000 deaths
Seoul........................... 10m, 16,000 people/Sq Km, 9 deaths. Predicted 40,000 deaths
Manila......................... 14m, 46,200 people/Sq Km, 1,036 deaths predicted 55,000 deaths
Tokyo Metro................. 38m, 8,800 people/Sq Km, 1,019 deaths. Predicted 150,000 deaths

As a reference point, the Population Density for London is 5,700 people/Sq Km, and that seems to have been OK (touch wood). The Population is 9.3m.

Prediction for the USA

If I had to predict the final death rate for the USA, I would use the UK rate, although the two countries are not really comparable; the vastness of the USA probably means it would be much lower. Applying 863 death/m to the US population of 331m gives 286,000, but I think 200,000-250,000 is more realistic. Looking at the graphs on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ it’s impossible to say as the lockdowns are messing up any predictions. The US is currently at 161,607, so maybe there are still 40,000 deaths to go, which should take 2-3 months, so it should be over by Christmas, lockdowns permitting.

Last edited by Beerman on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:26 am
Forum User

Mandatory Vaccination

A mate of mine sent me a link to a YouTube which alarmed him, so he thought he'd reciprocate the favour someone had done him by alarming me. Have a look at this YouTube which explains the newly amended Control of Disease Act 1984, which came into force in the UK in April 20 without anyone knowing.

This amendment is particularly worrying when it comes to fast-tracking and corner-cutting the vaccine development cycle to bring it to market in 12-24 months instead of the more typical 5-10 years. Just by refusing a vaccine without just cause will be an offence. Not knowing what is in it and its below standard testing will not be considered just cause. The law in the UK now says you can be forcibly removed from your home, everything in it can be removed, disinfected or destroyed, you can be forcibly given the vaccine and detained afterward, releasable only by a judge. The same will apply to any friends and family or anyone else you have informed the Government you have been in contact with; and the same applies to your place of work and the people you have been in contact with there.

The new Coronavirus track and trace app will tell the Government if you have Covid-19 symptoms, who you have been in contact with, and where you work, and can be used to mandatorily treat or vaccinate you under this amendment.

Safety First

No one wants to be protected against Covid-19 and die of cancer 5 years later, especially if you are already immune from it. Here’s a Reuters article dated 6 Aug 20.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-safety/its-not-for-me-speed-of-covid-19-vaccine-race-raises-safety-concerns-idUKKCN252284

Quote:
“We just see this distrust growing against science and government. We need to address legitimate concerns about the rapid pace of development, political over-promises and the risks of vaccination”.

The natives are restless.

Coronavirus Track and Trace App

The UK is introducing a new trace and track app which like everything else the government do, is a complete shambles, mainly because they hire contractors to implement it who are incompetent, but talk good management talk. This is their second attempt after the fiasco and collapse of their first. Rather than address the Big Brother issues of this new surveillance tool before it’s rolled out, the Government have once again cut corners and risk the public once again asking about security, privacy, who gets to see it where you’ve been and what that information can it be used for, and safeguards to ensure the data is kept anonymous, control of copies, and when it is all erased.

From a technical perspective, it is being rolled out untested, unstable and unfinished, just so the government can say The UK has got one. If you take your time to do it right the first time, then you save time having to do it twice. I’m looking forward to the third attempt already.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]