Vanha - Black Lion
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Any of you old fuckers still around? 
Forum User

Post Re: Any of you old fuckers still around?

Got to see a number of names I recognized, though the space between posts seems to measured in months rather than minutes.

Even got to meet two forum members that I can remember… Bob (whose user name I can’t remember for the life of me) and I hung out in Richmond when I was there for my monthly military drill in… must’ve been 04 or 05. I remember I was driving that Grand Am, so it must’ve been 04. Might even have been 03. Fuck, it’s been a long time.

The other was well after my involvement with the forum had ended… in 2011, shortly after I’d moved to Colorado, the local job market where I was sucked ass, so I took a job driving tractor-trailers cross country. On one of my runs to Texas, I met up with Elya whose username I do remember - winterfell - and we had breakfast together. We still keep in touch via social media.

Sorry if there’s anyone I’ve forgotten. I’m not getting any younger, y’know?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

would be good to know your previous username... :;):

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am
Forum User

Same one as now. Hadn’t used it in forever, but I figured I’d revive it for here. Different location, lots of other differences… but I suppose it would provide easy recognition for any of the other old and crusties in the off chance they remember me.

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:00 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

jefftheterrible wrote:
Same one as now. Hadn’t used it in forever, but I figured I’d revive it for here. Different location, lots of other differences… but I suppose it would provide easy recognition for any of the other old and crusties in the off chance they remember me.

ah ok, I get it... for some reason, I thought you had changed it... :)

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:25 pm
Forum User

People always seem to come back to doom eventually hehe

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Forum User

I never went away from it, I just migrated over to the Hellride Music forum and made myself scarce on here. And it must’ve been 06 when I last posted, because it right after Warning had released Watching From a Distance. Which, I liked a lot of the bands that were discussed here but not there, but as I said in the other topic, certain personnel present on this forum at the time turned me off from it, and there was also a lot of conflict between said personnel and a certain subset of bands, and my dealings with the afore,entioned personnel caused my sympathies to shift towards those bands. Plus I was friends with Denny and Steve from Evoken, which garnered me some additional disfavor from certain people… I can anticipate a number of people who aren’t exactly going to be eager to roll out the red carpet for me. But it is what it is, and it’s in the past. I’m over it. If they’re not and are still present, then it’s their problem, not mine.

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I can't say nothing of the specific period your're referring to, but I feel the "personnel" you're speaking of is now gone. This forum is much more relaxed now, and, to balance the drop in visitors (a reality that touches even bigger places like MA) , the site itself has become very active, which is great.

But yeah, I feel doom is an older people thing. I've been old all my life. :D

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:04 pm
Forum User

I suppose that makes two of us, though I can also remember Tygers Of Pan Tang being my favorite band when I was a kid largely on account of the paintings of tigers they had as their album artwork (of course I liked the music, too).

I do remember seeing Saint Vitus in Denver in 2012 and the under 21s in the crowd were getting into it, they sang along, they knew the songs… it was nice to see that.

I feel like forums in general are in decline and have been for the last decade and change. It’s a shame. Back in the dark ages of the early 2000s, this place was always busy and trying to keep up would make your head spin. All in all, I’m still glad it’s here.

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:25 am
Forum User

jefftheterrible wrote:
I feel like forums in general are in decline and have been for the last decade and change. It’s a shame. Back in the dark ages of the early 2000s, this place was always busy and trying to keep up would make your head spin. All in all, I’m still glad it’s here.

"The year is 2019 A.C. The Internet is entirely occupied by "social" networks. Well, not entirely... One small forum of indomitable doomsters still holds out..." :D

owlonfire on deviantart.com

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 pm
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
I feel doom is an older people thing.

Now it may seem so. Back in the 2000´s I did not have this impression. Maybe those people have grown older now without younger people joining them. :/

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 pm
Forum User

The only doom that seems to be popular with younger people now is stoner and sludge. Except for a little wave for death/doom with Swallow the Sun about 12 years ago, seems like doom is forgotten by most except the likes of Sleep, Om, etc

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:51 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yeah, totally. And only Anglo-saxon bands seem to matter - in english-speaking forums anyway

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 am
Forum User

Well, at least now doom seems to be somehow „exclusive“. It is the complete opposite of mainstream. Not so bad within a society that wants to be different from the society.

There must be any good aspects, by the way...

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:33 pm
Forum User

firebird wrote:
jefftheterrible wrote:

"The year is 2019 A.C. The Internet is entirely occupied by "social" networks. Well, not entirely... One small forum of indomitable doomsters still holds out..." :D

Social media does more harm than good. It disillusions people into thinking they have lots of friends when most of their "friends" the networks recommend to them. They cause stress and anxiety - everyone has to be connected all the time. Users make themselfes more susceptible to personal attacks. They are a cesspool of lies and hatred.

Even if there's very little going on these days... I'm glad it's here as well. :p

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:16 pm
Forum User

Funny somehow - this thread is about how this forum is not very alive anymore, but this discussion makes it more alive than ever the last few years.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6