Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Funeral Doom Pedals/Gear 
Forum User

Post Funeral Doom Pedals/Gear

I apologize if this is something that has been recently discussed on here, but looking over the last few pages, I didn't see anything specifically what I am looking for. Anyway...

I am new to playing bass, and the reason I wanted to pick up the bass is because I want to play Doom. Funeral in particular (but open to playing other styles). I have scoured the bowels of the internetz for information, but I keep on getting gear options for the Oh Em Gee popularz Stoner Doom (nothing wrong with that, I love Stoner). No one outside of the more dedicated Doom community even gets what I mean by Funeral Doom.

So, for those who possibly play the genre or at least familiar with gear, what are some pedals you recommend that I try out to get started? I of course want to develop my own sound and not be a copy cat, but there's a basis for everything. I talk to Lena of My Dying Bride a lot about being a bassist in a Doom band (she's fucking awesome and very personable!), and although Death/Doom is the basis of Funeral subgenre wise, it's still its own beast. She recommended sticking with overdrive/fuzz and delay. However I know Esoteric, for example, is HUGE on being pedal/effect whores. So there's a difference in opinion. Where should a Funeral Doomer start for getting that Mourning Congregation like aural depression?

As of right now, I picked up Black Art Toneworks "Coven" fuzz as my first pedal cuz I loved the sound.

Thanks everyone! /endnovel

PS. Holyfuck, I joined in 2008 and this is my very first post! lol

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:44 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Funeral Doom Pedals/Gear

welcome! I'm surprised you remembered your password... :D

BTW, hopefully some of the musicians here will be able to advise you... sorry, I can't... I play (or used to) the saxophone!

Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:25 pm
Forum User

Merchant of Doom wrote:

BTW, hopefully some of the musicians here will be able to advise you... sorry, I can't... I play (or used to) the saxophone!

Thanks! :) I actually had to request a password reset lol

I hope so too. I'll let you know when I have any Depressive Suicidal Jazz Doom questions ;)

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:28 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

JanderVK wrote:
Merchant of Doom wrote:

Thanks! :) I actually had to request a password reset lol

I hope so too. I'll let you know when I have any Depressive Suicidal Jazz Doom questions ;)

lol... very funny... :D I wish you all the best!

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

JanderVK wrote:
However I know Esoteric, for example, is HUGE on being pedal/effect whores. So there's a difference in opinion. Where should a Funeral Doomer start for getting that Mourning Congregation like aural depression?

I'd recommend contacting Mark Bodossian via Esoteric, since he's played in both.
And, having lugged Esoteric's pedal boxes round Europe for weeks on end, I can certainly vouch for the enormousness of their size, weight and content...

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

endemoniada_88 wrote:
JanderVK wrote:
However I know Esoteric, for example, is HUGE on being pedal/effect whores. So there's a difference in opinion. Where should a Funeral Doomer start for getting that Mourning Congregation like aural depression?

I'd recommend contacting Mark Bodossian via Esoteric, since he's played in both.
And, having lugged Esoteric's pedal boxes round Europe for weeks on end, I can certainly vouch for the enormousness of their size, weight and content...

Mark posts on this forum... very rarely (although more than twice in 7 years) under the name atomicunderwear.
Here is a pic I took of his pedalboard in 2013.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Hey, thanks everyone for being so helpful with a noob! You mods really came through to help me out. Awesome about the personal insight on his gear lol That must have been fun. Yeah, I'll send him a message on FB. And THANKS for that awesome pic of his board! Looks like he's got some expensive shit (IE. the Eventide pedals) on there, no surprise there lol I just want an idea of what effects he (or any other Funeral Doom bassist) uses, which seems to be almost everything you can think of, delay's, chorus, reverb, pitch shifter's, and buy from boutiques that I like to form my own sound. Now to put it all together...

Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:50 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

To be honest, it's probably not very representative, most funeral bassists I have seen haven't used any pedals at all. Skepticism, to my mind the epitome of funeral doom, don't even HAVE a bass player!

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Nor do Profetus, as it happens: same deal as Skepticism with using keys/organ rather than bass.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:48 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't think that's what he wants to hear? :D

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:35 am
Forum User

I wouldn't say there's any particular right gear for x-style of music. Chose something you like the sound of and use it to add personality to your music rather than going for "approved" gear. I am admittedly a massive gear geek, but in reality, there's albums that sound fantastic which were recorded with cheap solid state amp heads, and there are albums that sound fantastic that were recorded with expensive boutique rigs too. For example, rumor has it that all the Mad Max era Worship material was recorded using a Zoom 505 and a practice amp, and let's face it - that stuff is way better than any of their later, bigger budget releases. I certainly don't count out more expensive gear, I personally use a combination of pretty expensive amps (two that contrast, but work very well together) and some quite expensive pedals too, but what I'm trying to say is to work within your means and try to find something that you like - there is an awful lot of good, and fairly inexpensive gear on the market now (particularly if you're shopping second hand) and I have been building up my gear for a good many years now

The few times I've seen Mournful Congregation live by the way, they were using clean bass, a lot of their big sound comes from having three guitars, and where your instrument sits in the mix with other instruments rather than how cool it sounds in their bedrooms are another major thing people overlook. So yes - there's a few "out of the box" thoughts to mull over.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:02 am
Forum User

This thread isn't so old - how are you getting on? My advice is don't copy or look to imitate anyone or any style of playing or tone, and don't set out to make 'funeral doom' or any other specific genre of music - do your own thing. For what it's worth in the two bands I played in that are commonly labelled 'funeral doom', I used effects sparingly.

Sun May 01, 2016 12:32 am
Forum User

With very little exception, gear is in the ear of the beholder. There are plenty of funeral doom bands that don't use a bassist, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't. I prefer low-tuned gear, that's why I got a 5 string Peavey Millennium and had it set up for 'B' tuning. Lots of doom bands play in lower tunings i.e. Evoken & (old) Anathema in 'B', Paradise Lost & My Dying Bride in 'C', diSEMBOWELMENT in 'G' (which is crazy btw). But you have those who play in standard 'E', like Lacraimas Profundere and Skepticism, so it really takes all kinds. Most bassists just run stuff through their amp, no frills, nothing. Bass is meant to be background. My bands last bassist had some cool pedals of which I can't remember names. They may have been custom for all I know. He had a cool distorted sound and a chorus. Chorus is probably the most commonly used by those who actually use pedals.

Boss and Digitech (basically the same company) make good pedals but they're pricy. Behringer uses the same technology but puts their stuff in plastic cases instead of metal. They're easier to break but sound exactly the same. If you're on a budget that's the best route.

Basses, unless fretless, will all sound more or less the same. You should find one you like. I like Schecter and Gibson but Carvin isn't bad either.

As far as amps go, I love Crate and Peavey. to find out what you want you should go to a music shop and test all their equipment. Also, if you're looking for a signature sound, contact the band(s) you're into to see what they use. Most musicians are more than happy to tell what they use.

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Thu May 26, 2016 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]