A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Karyn Crisis' Gospel of the Witches-Crypt Sermon-more, recap 
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post Karyn Crisis' Gospel of the Witches-Crypt Sermon-more, recap

This show was, as expected, fucking great. It started off as a Crypt Sermon show with an undercard of rock-solid local support bands, including the ridiculously good but rarely-appearing Magic Circle (who opened for Satan’s west coast dates last year). Then Karyn Crisis’s Gospel of the Witches were added as a headliner because the timing just happened to work out.

Ralph’s Diner in Worcester MA was already filled to the brim when I got there partway through Second Grave’s opening set. They’re a Boston retro/proto-doom band who’ve been playing since 2012 and appear to have had a member change or two. Their sound now is much more ferocious and heavy than when I’d seen them previously, and much improved to my ears: the 70s influence pared down in favor of more unmistakable doom metal foundations.

Conclave (ex-Grief) were up next and have a bit of a Motorhead mixed with doom/death thing going on. They were the oldest in band member age, and their confidence gained from long experience was clear. Though their riffs were a bit simple, and the barked vocals rarely provided a counterpoint to the guitar contours, the band were very enthusiastic and their low-tuned rhythms were executed well enough to keep my attention.

Then came Magic Circle, one of the best surprises to come out of New England in the past five years. Their one album is a master class in heavy metal done right, but their live shows are few and far between because the band members are all busy with other projects. This time around they gave us at least three new songs from an upcoming album which, according to the singer’s announcement from the stage, is being mastered this week for a near-future release. These guys also had a near-perfect live sound balance, smart enough to keep the guitar volume in check while letting the kick drum and vocals lead the way.

Crypt Sermon, while being the first marquee band on this bill, had a lot to live up to by the time they took the stage: and they delivered in spades, pumping out their entire debut album after their singer said “we’ll play as much of it as you’ll permit us to”, and that turned out to be the whole thing. I snagged a spot right up at the stage edge for their set and was treated to some pristine guitar sound and a set that, while not quite as bolt-tightened as some longer-running bands, absolutely lived up to expectation. The band members were obviously thrilled to be there, and that energy and appreciation was mutual. And given how some people in the crowd clearly knew most of their lyrics already, I think they feel the well-justified buzz that’s rapidly escalating around them.

By now this show would’ve been a complete success if it had been left at that. But Karyn Crisis’ Gospel of the Witches from California took the stage. I wasn’t very familiar with her debut album, but I was mesmerized surprised. Her music is related to progressive heavy metal with a tension-building, almost shamanic edge to it. “Bewitching” would be a fitting description. Immolation members Ross Dolan and Rob Vigna were backing her band on vocals/bass and guitar. Karyn herself was a lively presence on stage, dancing and holding up props when song-appropriate, and bringing a different flow of energy to the show. Her vocals traveled through the spectrum from clean melodic singing to full-on death growling (often doubled up with Ross Dolan’s vocals), and some talk-growl hybrids in between.

All in all, this whole show was a tour-de-force, the kind that sets the standard for what I expect from a live experience, with very band on their A-game, good live sound mixing, and a minimum of technical problems that might’ve kept things off schedule. Everyone involved made it a great night.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:53 pm
Forum User

Post Re: Karyn Crisis' Gospel of the Witches-Crypt Sermon-more, r

:dooom: I wish i could have been there, thanks for the infos!

Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]