SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Your latest/next concert 
Forum User

Post Your latest/next concert

I didn't find such a thread, so I'd thought I might as well create one=))

After many many years of more or less missing local doom scene (the only pure doom bands I'd seen were Whitehorse and Nadja), this year, there are 3 (!) doom festivals where I live.

So a couple of days ago the "Doom over..." series finally came to Bulgaria with "Doom over Sofia" with bands like Isole, Mourning Beloveth, Ereb Altor and Novembre.

Of all these, MB are the only band I'm really fond of (the last two aren't even doom for me, but anyways=) and there were really impressive. The show began by playing almost the whole Rust and Bone album without interruption, and it was stunning!=)))

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:43 am
Forum User

Post Re: Your latest/next concert

A couple of days ago I watched Katatonia in a two-part concert in an ancient Roman amphitheater.

First part was them playing "The Great Cold Distance" in its entirety with a symphonic orchestra. Second part was a regular gig.

Unfortunately, for the orchestra part they had not made any relevant change in the songs arrangements that would justify this. I did not want or expect them to go all Evinta on us, but it seemed like they used the orchestra as a brooch on a jacket=)

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:15 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Off to Yob on Monday. First time seeing them despite being a fan for about 14 years. Will be wearing the shirt I wore back then. OG.
Will report back, but my Dad caught them last time and assures me I will not be disappointed.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Yob did not disappoint. I've seen a lot of bands so it is hard to say definitively that they were the heaviest, but they were really up there.

Briefly spoke to Mike from the band. I don't normally go up to people out of the blue as my social anxiety is crippling, but Yob were such a massive part of my teenage years, and such a big influence on the development of Camel of Doom that I just had to shake his hand.

Terrible photo:

Next up for me is Anathema in November. I love everything up to A Natural Disaster, but not been over keen on stuff since so I'm not too confidant about this one! But the recent Blu-Ray (the one with the orchestra) that I have is OK so should be alright.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Anathema's latest album is very good, best stuff they've released since A Natural Disaster (I do not like the albums in between at all) and it sounds quite good live=)))

Last night was the final night of the three-day festival "Autumn Souls of Sofia". From the 20 bands included, I saw the only 4 doom bands (plus the last 10 minutes from Evadne, wished i had not missed them)

Mourning Sun - really wonderful, much better then I expected, the vocals were even better live then on record
(Echo) - although I did not like the style they played (post-metal, at times almost verging on metalcore) I have to admit that they played really good, and the new vocalist (who looks 16) was really impressive

Zatokrev - simply fantastic and crushing. I will have to start listening to them now=))
Esoteric - they really are out of this planet. I still cannot believe I saw them live!!

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:24 am
Forum User

I saw The Cure a couple of days ago in Prague.

Although the performance was great - it's amazing how Robert can still have such an amazing voice at this age, and still be doing 3-hour long shows - as with every concert in a big concert arena (O2 in this case) I'm not able to feel any emotion. This is not the way to listen to music=)

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:59 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
This is not the way to listen to music=)

Golden words, it's so fucking true. I hate the sound, the crowd, the talking, the smell, the coming and going.... :oldfart:

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:20 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I went to see the Cure at the Wembley Arena many years ago... I needed some binoculars and the atmosphere was zero... then I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Brixton Academy and it was brilliant... my favourite will always be The Town & Country Club (The Forum now)... I've seen countless bands there and the "cinema" atmosphere has always been fantastic...

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:43 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

Ah, the Town and Country Club. Brings back memories...
The older I've got the smaller the gig I prefer. I used to love big gigs, provided I wasn't too far back. These days I would think of the Camden Underworld as a big gig!
Favorite London venues down the years would be The Astoria and the Mean Fiddler (RIP), Brixton Academy and the aforementioned Underworld. Wembley Arena is a terrible place, and I had a really bad experience at Earls Court too, although I had some good ones there too.
The last place I frequented on a regular basis was the Windmill in Brixton which was like being crammed into a smelly rehearsal space with a bar. Great for watching sludge bands. Saw Moss play there with Bast and Crypt Lurker too, one of my favorite gigs. These days I'll be lucky to see anything approaching a Doom band, living now on the other side of the planet and about a six hour drive from anywhere with anything approaching a 'scene'...

Back on topic, last gig was ACDC at Wembley. (Pre Axl Rose debacle). Took the Mrs as she wanted to see them, and I could pretend to be fourteen again. Loved every minute, and the sound was suprisingly good from where we were standing. Last Doom gig was probably Iron Witch or Serpent Venom, can't remember which... :D

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:39 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I used to go the Powerhaus (ex Pied Bull) in Islington a lot... sadly defunct now (Halifax building)...

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:30 am
Forum User

November's Doom Days this weekend.

The bands I saw were Fading Bliss, Immensity and Thurisaz - had never heard them before, but all of them made a great show.

Officium Triste were the main reason i was there - they were really fantastic, both as stage presence and as performance. Really down to earth, with very little "flirting with the audience" (hate this). It was amazing to see them play so seamlessly, like it was a walk in a park for them=)))

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:13 am
Forum User

The last concert I saw was Grim Reaper last month. They rocked hard! Blind Guardian and Grave Digger were before that. I missed Dark Tranquillity and Swallow the Sun because the venue they played sucks horribly. Nothing new on the horizon however. :(

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

The last show I saw was My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult. The singer just stood at the back stage. The music was good but him just standing there bothered me. It was so boring. :yawn:

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:47 pm
Forum User

last katatonia, next Ane Brun, both in Melbourne

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:03 pm
Forum User

Katatonia's on their way to my state...or have possibly been. I'd love to see them but I only want to hear Brave Murder Day, Sounds of Decay & Discouraged Ones. I like some of their later stuff but I hate when bands ignore their past work. Katatonia's very guilty of this.

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Doom over Sofia yesterday with quite a small number of bands, none of which I like - Grimegod, Obsidian Sea, Agnes Vein and Count Raven.

Grimegod were quite good with great stage presence. Then I got kinda bored and did not even stay until the headliners Count Raven=))

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 pm
Forum User

Paradise Lost / Pallbearer next Thursday :).

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:02 pm
Forum User

Doom Over Kiev XX. Two days event!

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum User

Pallbearer is done:
They played Thorns, The Ghost I used to be, Dancing in Madness, Foreigner

What great band.

Paradise Lost should be on any minute now.

Last edited by Revoked on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:51 pm
Forum User

PL played

Blood amd Chaos
Rememberance
From the gallows
One second
Tragic idol
Medusa
No hope in sight
Shadowkings
Eternal
Forever Failure
Faith divides us death unites us
Eternity of lies
The longest winter

Fearless sky
Embers fire
The Last Time

Sound was better than 5 years ago at the same location.
Although Nick couldn't manage his clean vocals satisfiying.

Funny ashe is so strong on record....

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next