Thermal Mass
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Akelei 
Forum User

Post Re: Akelei

I've updated the list of translation - thanks again for your input!

And now for an update on the ongoing recordings for Akelei's next EP: we've had to rerecord the drums last weekend and we'll track guitars next week. Really happy with the results so far.
Here's a video from the studio in Delft:

Last edited by de Tuinman en de Dood on Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 22, 2021 5:25 pm
Forum User

37 translations and counting. (Information on this list here.)

Arabic: أحد مننا
Basque: gutariko bat
Bavarian: oăne vo uns
Belarusian: адна з нас
Bosnian: jedan od nas
Bulgarian: един от нас
Catalan: un de nosaltres
Croatian: jedan od nas
Czech: jedna z nás
Danish: en af os
Dutch: een van ons
English: one of us
Finnish: yksi meistä
French: un des nôtres
Frisian: ien fan ús
German: eine von uns
Greek: μία από μας
Hebrew: אֶחָד מֵאִתָּנוּ
Hungarian: egyikünk
Irish: ceann againn
Italian: uno di noi
Japanese: 私たちの一人
Koine Greek: εἷς ἐξ ἡμῶν
Latin: unus ex nobis
Latvian: viena no mums
Mandarin: 我们之一
Maori: tētahi o tātou
Montenegrin: jedan od nas
Norwegian: en av oss
Nynorsk: ein av oss
Polish: jedna z nas
Portuguese: um dos nossos
Romanian: una dintre noi
Russian: одна из нас
Serbian: један од нас
Slovak: jedna z nás
Slovene: eden izmed nas
Spanish: uno de nosotros
Swahili: mmoja wetu
Swedish: en av oss
Swiss German: äinä vo üs
Ukranian: один з нас

Last edited by de Tuinman en de Dood on Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mon May 24, 2021 7:57 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

In German; it's 'EINER von uns'

EINE is used for a woman...

it seems in almost each language you're using the masculin form - I think you should stick to one form. :;):

I see in Romanian too it's UNA which should indicate a woman, no?
And in Swiss German too, it seems like a feminin form... it's a bit confusing...

Mon May 24, 2021 9:07 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Swiss Italian: Uno di noi

:D

Mon May 24, 2021 9:27 am
Forum User

Hey Baphomet, thanks for noticing and offering your insight. What you point out is intentional, the mixed use of masculine and feminine forms. There's no similar use of those in Dutch or the other languages I'm fluent in, so I'm still struggling with understanding the rules of grammatical gender. Bear with me in the meantime.

Since I started asking for translations, many respondents have given me two or three forms to choose from. I (think I) understand that, as a male, I should stick with masculine form. In some languages, the gender of a word reflects the natural gender of the writer. But I'm entertaining the idea that it shouldn't matter that the phrase is coming from me. Nor should the respondents' gender matter (I think). So why not make a mix?

Furthermore, a Spanish-speaking colleague of mine expressed her desire for language that is omnigender. For example, the word 'we/us' is translated into either 'nosotros' (male or mixed) or 'nosotras' (female). She prefers a third variant: nosotres. There is ongoing discussion about this, at least in the Spanish speaking world. Language is important, and that's reflected upon in the lyrics of the songs as well, so I have some hard decisions ahead of me yet. At this stage, I'm still a bit confused, so you're absolutely right... It's a bit confusing! This is a work in progress, perhaps we can agree on that.

Mon May 24, 2021 12:07 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

de Tuinman en de Dood wrote:
Hey Baphomet, thanks for noticing and offering your insight. What you point out is intentional, the mixed use of masculine and feminine forms. There's no similar use of those in Dutch or the other languages I'm fluent in, so I'm still struggling with understanding the rules of grammatical gender. Bear with me in the meantime.

Since I started asking for translations, many respondents have given me two or three forms to choose from. I (think I) understand that, as a male, I should stick with masculine form. In some languages, the gender of a word reflects the natural gender of the writer. But I'm entertaining the idea that it shouldn't matter that the phrase is coming from me. Nor should the respondents' gender matter (I think). So why not make a mix?

Furthermore, a Spanish-speaking colleague of mine expressed her desire for language that is omnigender. For example, the word 'we/us' is translated into either 'nosotros' (male or mixed) or 'nosotras' (female). She prefers a third variant: nosotres. There is ongoing discussion about this, at least in the Spanish speaking world. Language is important, and that's reflected upon in the lyrics of the songs as well, so I have some hard decisions ahead of me yet. At this stage, I'm still a bit confused, so you're absolutely right... It's a bit confusing! This is a work in progress, perhaps we can agree on that.

What's the context? Why do you need the translation of "one of us"? What does it refer to? Without knowing the "story" behind it (maybe you told us somewhere, but it escapes me), it's rather difficult to give you opinions. Can you expand on it? Thanks!

EDIT: I have found the explanation... :) You can obviously use the female form (una di noi), but I have no clue on how the omnigender version would work in Italian... can you ask your Spanish friend for the complete sentence with "nostres"?

Tue May 25, 2021 8:17 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

In French, the question of the so-called 'inclusive writing' has not been solved. French, its grammatical rules, traditions, fluency, and overall elegance aren't easily manipulated by any ideological stance. Right now, there is no 'crossover turn' to write/say this specific phrase.

In my opinion, the idea would have been far more easy to translate, had you stuck to the concept of 'us', 'we' etc.. I bet in every language, the concept of 'we' is the only way to merge the feminin and the masculin.

Tue May 25, 2021 8:53 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
the concept of 'we' is the only way to merge the feminin and the masculin.

well, no... because "We are one of us" (if this is what you meant with "we") in Italian = "Siamo uno di noi" (masculine) or "Siamo una di noi" (feminine), so you still have to differentiate.. surely, it's the same in French? Still, it sounds wrong grammatically.

Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

ma no, che cosa dici? :D

No, 'we', just 'we'. A complete other phrasing of course.

Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
ma no, che cosa dici? :D

No, 'we', just 'we'. A complete other phrasing of course.

E spiegati meglio! :D

Ok, just "Noi"? Well, that's radical... :p

Tue May 25, 2021 1:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Is 'one of us' the title of the album? of a song?

Don't know, the guys in Akelei know better, but to overcome the masculin/feminin issue, there's the solution of 'we' that works in every language, that's what I was trying to say.

Tue May 25, 2021 1:51 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Is 'one of us' the title of the album? of a song?

Don't know, the guys in Akelei know better, but to overcome the masculin/feminin issue, there's the solution of 'we' that works in every language, that's what I was trying to say.

This is the context:

The title for this EP will be 'Een van ons', which translates from Dutch to 'One of us' in English. The phrase comes from a lyrical theme that has occupied my mind lately and deals with our interconnectedness. As people, but also with every living thing on this planet. So it doesn't really mean only one of us, but rather the one being the all and all being one. The idea is that we're all part of a global ecosystem and as such, interdependent.

Tue May 25, 2021 4:11 pm
Forum User

Yeah Merch, thanks. I've typed a more elaborate answer which I'm going to paste under here all the same. I'm aware it may seem like an odd request but, at least in my head, it's making so much sense to do this.

Some legit questions, Bapho. I'll try to shed some more light on my motivations! With Akelei lyrics being Dutch, the upcoming EP's title will be Een van ons. The first song (of three) will also have that title. It's actually the most ambitious music I've written so far, with a classical arrangement (grand piano, violin, viola) and a guest singer. The concept of the EP is our interconnectedness, everyone's part of the whole. A lot of my inspiration stems from books like (spoiler alert) Contact, Everything is illuminated and the movie Arrival (some of the best sci-fi ever made), which deal with these subjects. I thought the linguistic parts of Arrival in particular were phenomenal.

So anyway, with this project setting out to get a message across that we're 'all in this together', so to speak, I want to make an effort to reach out and include everyone's language in it. That sounds a lot easier than it actually turns out to be, haha. Translating gets messy really quickly, even for a little 3-word phrase like mine. Some concepts don't carry over well to other cultures or its language(s) and you can construct a similar message at best. But it's proving to be a rewarding undertaking already, because I've always had a big interest in language and I'll be a little wiser for the experience.

Tue May 25, 2021 4:54 pm
Forum User

very excited. it's already taken way too long but I loved your debut so anything new will be much appreciated :)

Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:48 am
Forum User

abigail wrote:
it's already taken way too long

100% true.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:51 am
Forum User

Recording update: guitars.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:45 am
Forum User

Language update: added Japanese.
Production update: cover artwork finished.
Studio update: vocal recordings this week.

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:16 pm
Forum User

Production update: recording and mixing done, tracks are in mastering. Working on a digisleeve layout.

Here's an impression of the vocal recordings for the EP's title song. A couple of guest singers in the video: Lisette (from Scarlet Stories) on co-lead vocals, Aline and Ørnulf on backing vocals. The audio clip you're hearing is from a previous mix, not the final result.

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6