Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Tel - Sludge/Doom from Virginia 
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post Tel - Sludge/Doom from Virginia

Hey guys! After tons of searching, practicing, writing, and various other tasks and frustrations, I have finally become part of a band that is looking to be on the rise.

Tel is a band that I'm a part of now, in Richmond, Virginia (the land of bands like Windhand and Cough). We play an atmospheric mix of sludge, doom, and post-metal. It's not far off from stuff like early-Pelican, Neurosis, Windhand, Thou, and perhaps a little bit of later era-Katatonia and Funeral (From These Wounds-era). We have played a couple of shows, and our first demo is now available for free on Bandcamp. I'm really happy with how things are going with this project, and it's looking like people in our town are really into the stuff we are writing. Check out our stuff on Bandcamp if you're interested, there will surely be more to come!

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:59 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Tel - Sludge/Doom from Virginia

well, I liked it musically - although a bit rough round the edges - and the growls are good... it's all spoilt by the weak and monotonous clean singing, I'm afraid. They are out of tune too. Stick to the growls, refine the music and it will be ok... my opinion, obviously! There is a lot of potential.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I can see that the clean vocals you're using are meant to give the band its signature. It's true that are quite particular and I like them, but only for a while. As Merch says they're lacking variety, modulations, if not personality. I'll keep them, but work them harder too. Musically, it's okay, not overwhelmingly original, but it has a singularity I like.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Maybe the "chanting" is modelled on Frode Forsmo's... of Funeral fame...

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yeah, I've heard that elsewhere, but it's still a style that isn't that frequent, and I understand why they chose to go that way. It reminds me of a band called Dresden/Leningrad, for instance.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:32 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Yeah, I've heard that elsewhere, but it's still a style that isn't that frequent, and I understand why they chose to go that way. It reminds me of a band called Dresden/Leningrad, for instance.

Never listened to "Dresden/Leningrad"... any good? :)

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:42 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well, it's very basic stoner doom, quite laid-back. They changed they moniker to UUR. I have no idea why.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:46 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Merchant of Doom wrote:
Maybe the "chanting" is modelled on Frode Forsmo's... of Funeral fame...

You're not wrong! Bits of Dead Can Dance, Funeral, and Katatonia serve as the influences for my singing. I wanted to go for a more ethereal style of singing, rather than something gravelly or dramatic like Aaron Stainthorpe.

I'll admit I'm a bit lukewarm on how I sound on the second track, but otherwise, I'm pretty content with how my parts turned out. :D I much prefer clean singing over harsh. Also, my voice was put pretty high in the mix. I'm thinking for future works, there will be more reverb and my parts will be a tad bit lower in the mix. As of right now, the rest of our works have me singing 75% of the time, and growling/screaming the remaining 25%.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

I like this. It's certainly rough round the edges but hey, first release right...? I like the clean vocals, gives it an 'occult' feel and like you say a bit of reverb and more practise should sharpen it up. If this is a demo, I'd love to hear something 'proper'. Great work.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:32 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

VesicaP23 wrote:
I like this. It's certainly rough round the edges but hey, first release right...? I like the clean vocals, gives it an 'occult' feel and like you say a bit of reverb and more practise should sharpen it up. If this is a demo, I'd love to hear something 'proper'. Great work.

Thank you, I really appreciate that! :)

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Hey guys, we have gotten down to recording a new track entitled 'Daybreak'. We've been playing a few gigs around town, and we have gotten really good reception from people. I would consider the track to be a mix of post-metal with elements of melodic death/doom metal (such as October Tide).

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

Hey everybody. So, as you are aware, I have been a bit quiet in posting/writing reviews for a while now. That is because Tel just got to signed to Aural Music (same label as Messa, King Goat, Wastes, etc) and are about to release our first album! :D

The album is a five-track release called Lowlife, which was recorded by Garrett Morris (guitarist from Windhand). We were featured and interviewed by Billy Goate from Doomed and Stoned. You can hear one of the songs, Submerged (which is a re-recorded version of a song from our first demo) on his page. Merchant of Doom, stay far away, there are clean vocals to be found here. :;):

https://doomedandstoned.com/post/183270413693/tel

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

TheUnhinged wrote:
Hey everybody. So, as you are aware, I have been a bit quiet in posting/writing reviews for a while now. That is because Tel just got to signed to Aural Music (same label as Messa, King Goat, Wastes, etc) and are about to release our first album! :D

The album is a five-track release called Lowlife, which was recorded by Garrett Morris (guitarist from Windhand). We were featured and interviewed by Billy Goate from Doomed and Stoned. You can hear one of the songs, Submerged (which is a re-recorded version of a song from our first demo) on his page. Merchant of Doom, stay far away, there are clean vocals to be found here. :;):

https://doomedandstoned.com/post/183270413693/tel

I must say that the clean vocals are a massive improvement! :laugh: Musically, it's not my cup of tea, but it's very well done...

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:08 am
Forum User

Part of the music is a bit too stonery and bouncy for my taste but the vocals make up for this. I really like the mournful quality of these clean vocals, they hit a really nice spot=)

I'd like to hear more=)

Last edited by klamerin on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Not slow enough! :D nah, it's good, and totally in the dark and solemn vein I like. I'm curious to hear the whole album.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

Thanks guys! :) The other songs feature some harsh vocals and faster sections. The Obelisk compared us to Katatonia and Paradise Lost, which I am thrilled about... though I agree more with the former than the latter :D

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Ok, I've just watched the video for Ouroboros via The Sludgelord. Looked good on a big screen and sounded super through some decent headphones at high volume. It's great. Such an interesting and well worked blend of style and influences. I love how the track breaks into some sort of mental Sabbath jam towards the end. Really looking forward to hearing the album in full. The demo showed promise but this new track is streets ahead of where that left off. Really well done.

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:33 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

VesicaP23 wrote:
Ok, I've just watched the video for Ouroboros via The Sludgelord. Looked good on a big screen and sounded super through some decent headphones at high volume. It's great. Such an interesting and well worked blend of style and influences. I love how the track breaks into some sort of mental Sabbath jam towards the end. Really looking forward to hearing the album in full. The demo showed promise but this new track is streets ahead of where that left off. Really well done.

Thank you so much!

Today is the day, folks. Fifteen years in the making of listening to bleak music and wanting to sing and write in a band, and I'm finally there. :p

+ You can check out the music video for the opening track, Ouroboros, here. See my ugly mug in some trippy red lighting. :D

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:27 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hey, somebody liked your clean vocals... :p

"The band members all play well together, but the revelation of Lowlife is the effortless clean singing of Dante DuVall. Far from the usual charmingly flawed cleans found on albums of a similar style, DuVall is a stark presence cutting through the fuzz. There is a quality to his voice that reminds of Tool‘s Maynard James Keenan, if a bit more sedate and a bit less precious. There is a somewhat spacey echo to the vocal track that one would expect in stoner rock, but it never detracts from DuVall’s clear tone."

Angry Metal Guy

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/tel-lowlife-review/

The reviewer raises a good point about the production too...

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:21 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

Merchant of Doom wrote:
Hey, somebody liked your clean vocals... :p

"The band members all play well together, but the revelation of Lowlife is the effortless clean singing of Dante DuVall. Far from the usual charmingly flawed cleans found on albums of a similar style, DuVall is a stark presence cutting through the fuzz. There is a quality to his voice that reminds of Tool‘s Maynard James Keenan, if a bit more sedate and a bit less precious. There is a somewhat spacey echo to the vocal track that one would expect in stoner rock, but it never detracts from DuVall’s clear tone."

Angry Metal Guy

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/tel-lowlife-review/

The reviewer raises a good point about the production too...

Oh wow, I'm very pleasantly surprised to see we got reviewed by Angry Metal Guy, even if it wasn't a super high score!

I will admit that the snare buzz on the cleaner parts of the album stand out to me a bit, but other than that, I'm quite content with the production. :D

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]