Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:50 am



Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album 
Author Message
Forum User

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:31 pm
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

As the subject suggests, my solo project Somnent has recently released it's first full-length album on GS Productions. I would be honored if you guys had a listen, feedback is always appreciated (and sharing even more so).










Thanks,
Giovanni


Last edited by gvo369 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9208
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

pretty nice stuff!

_________________
It's not Doom...


Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:31 pm
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

Thanks :beerchug:


Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:02 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 12929
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

there's an angry, epic flow that reminds me of Keen of the Crows. This comparison probably occurs to me because I was listening to them a couple of days ago...

First I thought: oh no, another Solitude product... but you do sound different, I like what I hear!

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9208
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

very mature for a first album...

_________________
It's not Doom...


Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:31 pm
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

baphomet wrote:
there's an angry, epic flow that reminds me of Keen of the Crows. This comparison probably occurs to me because I was listening to them a couple of days ago...

First I thought: oh no, another Solitude product... but you do sound different, I like what I hear!


    lol, I really appreciate that. I will have to check out Keen of the Crows, which album do you recommend for a first listen?


    Merchant of Doom wrote:
    very mature for a first album...

    Really glad to that.. thank you!


Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 pm
Posts: 1300
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

Solitude have many faces, not only the one you intuitively think of when you mention their name. Ironically, this album does sound like a typical Solitude artifact.


Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 12929
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

gvo369 wrote:
    lol, I really appreciate that. I will have to check out Keen of the Crows, which album do you recommend for a first listen?



They only have two records, one ep and one full-length, Hyborea. This is the album I was listening to and that inspired me the comparison:


_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:31 pm
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

baphomet wrote:
gvo369 wrote:
    lol, I really appreciate that. I will have to check out Keen of the Crows, which album do you recommend for a first listen?



They only have two records, one ep and one full-length, Hyborea. This is the album I was listening to and that inspired me the comparison:



    I see why you thought of them, the energy is similar. Great stuff though!


Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:22 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 12929
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

Your songwriting is undoubtedly richer, with even bittersweet Saturnus-like moments.
KoTC sound harsher all along, more death-ish and the overall rythm is faster maybe... I guess you could see them as a doomier version of Grand Magus, with the nod to Robert E. Howard.

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:46 am
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm
Posts: 863
Location: Huddersfield
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

I remember your EP from a couple of years ago, it was decent. Will check this out.

_________________
Cynical bastard who used to be in some doom bands.
Check out what I've been listening to digitally!
Check out what I've been buying physically!


Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:48 pm
Posts: 171
Location: Amman, Jordan
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

I'm not that expert, but the fast parts and double bass drum reminded me of October Tide\Novembers Doom, and the slow parts of swallow the sun... But as merchant of doom said, very mature... :)


Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:31 pm
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

baphomet wrote:
Your songwriting is undoubtedly richer, with even bittersweet Saturnus-like moments.
KoTC sound harsher all along, more death-ish and the overall rythm is faster maybe... I guess you could see them as a doomier version of Grand Magus, with the nod to Robert E. Howard.


Abd wrote:
I'm not that expert, but the fast parts and double bass drum reminded me of October Tide\Novembers Doom, and the slow parts of swallow the sun... But as merchant of doom said, very mature... :)

    Thank you so much, it's an honor to be compared with such august company! I'm currently working on a guitar playthrough as well for the song Deceit, will share once its complete.

kris wrote:
I remember your EP from a couple of years ago, it was decent. Will check this out.

    Really appreciate that, feedback is always welcomed as well.


Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:31 pm
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

In case anyone is interested, the guitar playthrough of Deceit has been added to the original post.


Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 pm
Posts: 45
Location: Stockholm
Reply with quote
Post Re: Somnent-Sojourn First Full-length Album

I really like this album, surprised it hasn't gotten more attention in the scene. Quality darkness in there :)

_________________
I'm in the death/doom metal band Soliloquium.
Free download of all our music: https://soliloquium.bandcamp.com


Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.