Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:14 am



Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Ambient Music 
Author Message
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 577
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Ambient Music

Anyone got any good recommendations for ambient albums outside the world of Doom. I really don't care which genres they're in. I'm a bit of a heavy metal hippy so anything "new age" would work, or otherwise psychedelic. Except for Drone. It used to interest me, but it doesn't anymore...

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 11968
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

with or without lyrics? what kind of mood? dark and anxious or more relaxed?

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14 am
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 5443
Location: Baltic coast, DE
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

It would definitely help if you named a few artists/releases you like. After all, Ambient is a fairly broad field. For starters, though, and taking your New Age reference into account, I'd recommend anything by Peter Bjärgö (of Arcana), especially "The Anatomy of Melancholy" and his side project Onus (the album is called "Proslambanomenos"). Also, Voice of Eye (Vespers, Transmigration, Seven Directions Divergent), Herbst9 (The Gods Are Small Birds, But I Am the Falcon), and AsiaNova (Love Like a Veiled Threat).

_________________
Current musical projects:
Memoirs - Atmospheric Chamber Pop
Sidetrack Walker - Dark Singer-Songwriter


Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 577
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

baphomet wrote:
with or without lyrics? what kind of mood? dark and anxious or more relaxed?


Without lyrics, samples are fine. Relaxed mood.

d.mimøsa wrote:
It would definitely help if you named a few artists/releases you like. After all, Ambient is a fairly broad field. For starters, though, and taking your New Age reference into account, I'd recommend anything by Peter Bjärgö (of Arcana), especially "The Anatomy of Melancholy" and his side project Onus (the album is called "Proslambanomenos"). Also, Voice of Eye (Vespers, Transmigration, Seven Directions Divergent), Herbst9 (The Gods Are Small Birds, But I Am the Falcon), and AsiaNova (Love Like a Veiled Threat).


Great, plenty of stuff to be getting on with, thanks. I'll have a think and come up with a few of my likes.

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 11968
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

I think you'll like Grails, instrumental electro prog rock, very atmo and emotional:


_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:33 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 577
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

d.mimøsa wrote:
It would definitely help if you named a few artists/releases you like. After all, Ambient is a fairly broad field.


It certainly is! Well, Dead Cities and most else of what The Future Sound of London do (including the more recent Amorphous Androgynous) is great. Their music has been with me for years and never really loses it's appeal. Leyland Kirby and Kevin Drumm, early Orb, Banco de Gaia, Steve Hillage and System 7, The Black Dog, Max Richter, Eat Static, Coil, Boards of Canada.

I'm reaquainting myself with ambient at the moment, so any "more modern" recent albums would be a plus. :D

Vespers by Voice of Eye is excellent.

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:45 am
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 5443
Location: Baltic coast, DE
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

VesicaP23 wrote:
baphomet wrote:
with or without lyrics? what kind of mood? dark and anxious or more relaxed?


Without lyrics, samples are fine.

I guess you should forget about Peter Bjärgö, then... If you like Boards of Canada (which I wouldn't consider Ambient, but still) and other music with a stronger electronic touch, maybe look into Emeralds: their music is strongly influenced by early synthesizer pioneers, usually in an Ambient vein, "Just to Feel Anything" being an interesting exception with beats and great guitars.

If I recall correctly, Max Richter leans strongly towards Modern Classical territory, so if you're into that sort of stuff, be sure to check out the roster of Erased Tapes, especially the ever-present Ólafur Arnalds:
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show


Also on Erased Tapes, with a stronger Ambient tendency, check out the first album by A Winged Victory for the Sullen - the other two were disappointing, at least to me:
Spoiler: show

If you like that album, you might want to look into Stars of the Lid, too.

Julia Kent is worth a look - a US cellist using looping technique prominently: http://music.juliakent.com/ (I'd recommend "Character" for starters)
The first album by Jo Quail is in a very similar vein:
Spoiler: show


Attrition have released some Ambient albums, although they come from a different background, most notably "Ephemera" (very electronic), "The Eternity LP" (neoclassical) and "All Mine Enemys Whispers".

_________________
Current musical projects:
Memoirs - Atmospheric Chamber Pop
Sidetrack Walker - Dark Singer-Songwriter


Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:41 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 577
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

d.mimøsa wrote:
VesicaP23 wrote:
baphomet wrote:
with or without lyrics? what kind of mood? dark and anxious or more relaxed?


Without lyrics, samples are fine.

I guess you should forget about Peter Bjärgö, then... If you like Boards of Canada (which I wouldn't consider Ambient, but still) and other music with a stronger electronic touch, maybe look into Emeralds: their music is strongly influenced by early synthesizer pioneers, usually in an Ambient vein, "Just to Feel Anything" being an interesting exception with beats and great guitars.

If I recall correctly, Max Richter leans strongly towards Modern Classical territory, so if you're into that sort of stuff, be sure to check out the roster of Erased Tapes, especially the ever-present Ólafur Arnalds:
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show


Also on Erased Tapes, with a stronger Ambient tendency, check out the first album by A Winged Victory for the Sullen - the other two were disappointing, at least to me:
Spoiler: show

If you like that album, you might want to look into Stars of the Lid, too.

Julia Kent is worth a look - a US cellist using looping technique prominently: http://music.juliakent.com/ (I'd recommend "Character" for starters)
The first album by Jo Quail is in a very similar vein:
Spoiler: show


Attrition have released some Ambient albums, although they come from a different background, most notably "Ephemera" (very electronic), "The Eternity LP" (neoclassical) and "All Mine Enemys Whispers".


Cool, this is all looking very interesting. Yeah, I tend to lump a lot of stuff into my 'ambient' collection. It's easier for me to find it! Ólafur Arnalds I am familiar with, who, along with Johan Johaanson I like a lot. Granted, Max Richter is neoclassical but he does use some interesting samples, narration, and effects as does the aforementioned Johaanson. I did listen to some Peter Bjargo and liked it.

The search continues... :D

Oh, the Grails is nice, the more I listen to it...

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:05 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 11968
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

I though a more rock-oriented stuff would be more to your liking, but I have a tendency to put things and people into drawers... :D

NIce you like it though, I think it's all you could wish for as the "heavy metal hippy" you say you are. ;)

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:18 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 577
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

On reflection, much of what I listed isn't strictly 'ambient' but I'm quite lazy when it comes to genres. I think anything with a chilled vibe is really the order of the day. I listen to a lot of Dub too which provides a good mood, and I'm listening to more of it since moving to a very sunny place. I suppose I should have titled the thread..."chilled music"... :D

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 963
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

A buddy of mine does ambient music

https://mystoric.bandcamp.com/


Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm
Posts: 685
Location: Bradford
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music



New Dark Ambient Split I (Decadent & Symmetrical) have done.

_________________
Cynical bastard who used to be in some doom bands.
Check out what I've been listening to digitally!
Check out what I've been buying physically!


Sat May 13, 2017 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:47 am
Posts: 550
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

I can recommend the soundtrack to the film "SOLARIS" (the remake with Clooney)
It has some true ambient parts mixed with a somewhat slightly modern classic environment,
and can be classified as a soft modern atmospherical soundtrack indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHfXWX5lsw

_________________
"This year I'm a star! But what will I be next year? A black hole?"
— Woody Allen


Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:38 pm
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 577
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

kris wrote:


New Dark Ambient Split I (Decadent & Symmetrical) have done.



Excellent. Finally got round to listening to this. Very interesting. Equal parts scary, relaxing and bonkers. Everything you'd want really. :)

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 am
Profile
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 5443
Location: Baltic coast, DE
Reply with quote
Post Re: Ambient Music

mu wrote:
I can recommend the soundtrack to the film "SOLARIS" (the remake with Clooney)
It has some true ambient parts mixed with a somewhat slightly modern classic environment,
and can be classified as a soft modern atmospherical soundtrack indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBHfXWX5lsw

Oh hey, I love that one! It's actually one of the only three soundtracks I own among a fairly sizeable CD collection. Really sublime stuff, and the film isn't half bad, either. Cliff Martinez, who often composes for Steven Soderbergh, is an excellent composer in general. 'Traffic' has a very good soundtrack, too, as does 'Drive' (another one I own).

_________________
Current musical projects:
Memoirs - Atmospheric Chamber Pop
Sidetrack Walker - Dark Singer-Songwriter


Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.