SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Russian pressings 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Russian pressings

Their prices are so lower than the original pressings, stuff released by Satanath, Soyuz, Фоно.

Did you try them, are they of the same quality as the original products?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:17 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Russian pressings

Not direct experience but I saw a video of what the Satanath press of new Esoteric is like. Just a cheaper looking Digipak and the booklet is loose, not built in like the Season of Mist CD.

As to the ethics of undercutting the band and label and making a quick buck for some Russians whilst not really doing much to help out the bands.... I will let you decide.

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

kris wrote:
Not direct experience but I saw a video of what the Satanath press of new Esoteric is like. Just a cheaper looking Digipak and the booklet is loose, not built in like the Season of Mist CD.

As to the ethics of undercutting the band and label and making a quick buck for some Russians whilst not really doing much to help out the bands.... I will let you decide.

I didn't know the Esoteric he was selling was a fake. He usually lists if stuff was pirated or not.

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

kris wrote:

Aren't all the labels listed by baphomet doing official releases, intended only for Russia & CIS regions, made cheaper in order to have a more affordable price, suitable for the region. Therefore I expect that there are official contracts, agreements, etc between all parties involved. How is this undercutting the band and label?

Additionally these "some Russians" spread music in regions where peer-to-peer file sharing is the norm, and it's quite difficult to sell music, so first - I doubt they are making that much of a buck and secondly, the target audience are people who would normally not buy the official releases otherwise.

baphomet wrote:

I haven't tried them, but I would expect they use official file sources to burn CDs, therefore the audio quality cannot be that off, it is not that easy to screw up a CD considering the sources are fine. The packaging will of course be inferior but that's to be expected.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:44 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've just bought some stuff, but you deterred me to get hold of the Satanath release of Esoteric's Pyrrhic.. I had already bought the download anyway.

I'll see what these versions are worth for future purchases.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:55 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

NTNR wrote:
kris wrote:

I didn't know the Esoteric he was selling was a fake. He usually lists if stuff was pirated or not.

It isn't fake, officially licensed from Season of Mist. But when the price is so low that isn't much of a percentage ever making it back in royalties. For the Russian market it is OK, it is a sale that would have previously just been a bootleg, but if everybody in the west starts buying these cheap Russian versions there won't be much cash to go around.

klamerin wrote:
secondly, the target audience are people who would normally not buy the official releases otherwise.

Like I said, a cheap Russian sale vs a download is good. A cheap Russian sale vs a normal EU sale is bad.

To be honest though, the only way bands actually make any money is from direct sales from their store or at gigs. And for most signed bands, the Bandcamp page is run by, and profited from mainly by the label, so that doesn't really help either. And depending on the specifics of the record deal, the band might be buying their copies from the label at a ripoff price and making not that much per unit either.

It's a good job I am not in it for the money :rofl: - I am at about -£2000 on the proceeds from Camel of Doom records vs the cost of making them.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Most of my experience has been with Irond and Фоно releases, generally acquired by accident through places like eBay where the seller didn't specify the label. I've always found them to be lower quality than the official label releases, with the bare minimum of packaging - a single sheet cover rather than booklet, for example. Most (quite possibly all) of the ones I have also have a notice on the back that they're not licensed for sale outside Russia/Baltic states (it's a standard condition of licensing, that it's only legal to sell them within the specified territory).

klamerin wrote:
baphomet wrote:

I haven't tried them, but I would expect they use official file sources to burn CDs, therefore the audio quality cannot be that off, it is not that easy to screw up a CD considering the sources are fine. The packaging will of course be inferior but that's to be expected.

The audio quality is original, and as far as I can tell, indistinguishable from the original release version. The material quality - disc, printing and packaging - well, basically, what you're getting is a cheap "bootleg" version intended for a market that either doesn't have much wealth, can't easily distribute or isn't willing to pay full price for official versions (Russia, Indonesia, South America are all places where licensed CD pressings are quite common). The only exception to that would be Japanese licensed pressings, which are generally as top-quality luxury versions as can be manufactured, and come with a price tag to match!

Obviously none of the above applies to official releases by Russian labels - that's all completely legit, and I wouldn't want to imply any of them are cutting corners or anything like that with those releases; that simply wouldn't be true and I buy loads of those. It's only the licensed stuff which is explicitly being made down to a budget that the territorial market will support; those I wouldn't voluntarily touch with a bargepole.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:22 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've got the cds a couple of weeks ago. I must say, they all look and sound totally like originals. No complain at all.
I've bought these:
Sorcerer - The Crowning Of The Fire King by Фоно
Khemmis - Desolation by Soyuz Music
Katatonia - Dead End Kings by Mazzar Records
Pallbearer - Heartless by Soyuz Music

The Katatonia is a digipack , it's a more complex packaging and it still looks absolutely gorgeous.

edit: I already had this Katatonia!! jeez! I'm paying the price of my untidiness... :pfff:

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]