SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 7370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 369  Next
To what listenest thou? 
Forum User

Post Re: To what listenest thou?

VesicaP23 wrote:
NTNR wrote:
I love it. It was their darkest album (until The X-Factor) and their first actual foray into progressive metal. Bruce was in top form, Adrian really came into his own and it just rocked. I don't know if I like it more than 7th Son or not, but I love it.

Interesting. I never really thought of it as a 'dark' record.
True enough Adrain Smith saved it from being a complete turkey, and despite Bruce's claim to the contrary, if you listen to it, they were actually trying to do something a bit different... just not what he envisioned. It's just never one I go back to much.
(Favorite three are at the moment are Powerslave, 7th Son, and Brave New World, closely followed by Killers and Dance of Death)

I hate how they changed after 7th Son. They were on to something big and threw it away. I love all their stuff up to Brave New World. I cannot stand the generic, modern metal non-Maiden shell they've become. They've sucked horribly since Bruce's return.

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Revoked wrote:
Revolution Song - Tracy Chapman

Beat that.

The Cranberries - Zombie :D

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Abd wrote:
Merchant of Doom wrote:
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down

The good days of katatonia, my favorite track on that album, the future of speech.

yes, it's like meeting a old friend... :p

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:56 pm
Forum User

Revoked wrote:
Oooooh. My one and only MDB Album. Eternally out of rating, 10/10 clever. No need to record anymore....

What about The Dreadful Hours? That is my favorite all time MDB album.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:50 pm
Forum User

Abd wrote:
Revoked wrote:
Revolution Song - Tracy Chapman

Beat that.

The Cranberries - Zombie :D

I said BEAT! :D

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:07 pm
Forum User

@ Revoked

:banana: :banana:

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:00 pm
Forum User

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
My Dying Bride - Trinity

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

VesicaP23 wrote:
NTNR wrote:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

Any thoughts...?

I have a perenial "discussion" with a mate of mine about this album. To me it's a real sticking point in their early discography. It's also the only album of theirs that I haven't changed my opinion on since it was released.

Somewhere In Time is Maiden's most pop-oriented album from their early years. Dark? I think their darkest from that era would easily be Piece Of Mind, and even that one is miles from being really dark. In fact, I don't really think I have ever listened to a genuinely dark metal album, like ever. As to their newer era (post- Seventh Son) I never bothered myself...And were they suffering from a temporary dementia incorporating this beyond-awful "vocalist" Blaze Baley dude? What the fucking fuck was wrong with them?!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:38 pm
Forum User

wyrd wrote:
VesicaP23 wrote:
NTNR wrote:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time

Any thoughts...?

I have a perenial "discussion" with a mate of mine about this album. To me it's a real sticking point in their early discography. It's also the only album of theirs that I haven't changed my opinion on since it was released.

Somewhere In Time is Maiden's most pop-oriented album from their early years. Dark? I think their darkest from that era would easily be Piece Of Mind, and even that one is miles from being really dark. In fact, I don't really think I have ever listened to a genuinely dark metal album, like ever. As to their newer era (post- Seventh Son) I never bothered myself...And were they suffering from a temporary dementia incorporating this beyond-awful "vocalist" Blaze Baley dude? What the fucking fuck was wrong with them?!

The closest they ever got to pop was Powerslave, in both sound and appearance. Somewhere in Time wasn't pop at all. Prior to that I'd say Piece of Mind was the darkest. I love the Blaze era albums. The X Factor is their darkest work and just an incredible album. Virtual XI isn't as good but is way better than all the shit they've put out since Bruce's return. Blaze wasn't a good fit for Maiden. I'll be the first to say that, but he wasn't a bad singer. His first two solo albums are killer. I think they should've hired Michael Kiske who'd been fired from Helloween around that time. Maiden was his favorite. Though he would've been fired from Maiden after an album since he just likes making repetitive pop/rock albums. Other than Kiske, I can't think of anyone else who could've sung for Maiden.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Phlebotomized - Devoted To God/Preach Eternal Gospels

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

They should have re-hired Paul Di'anno. He was the shit on Killers. I love that album to its very core, it has been a major influence in my metal formative years as a teen, a long, long, long time ago, together with ACDC's Jailbreak, Highway to Hell, Deep Purple's The House of Blue light and Stormbringer, Piece Of Mind of course and the early Scorpions records...

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 pm
Forum User

wyrd wrote:
They should have re-hired Paul Di'anno. He was the shit on Killers. I love that album to its very core, it has been a major influence in my metal formative years as a teen, a long, long, long time ago, together with ACDC's Jailbreak, Highway to Hell, Deep Purple's The House of Blue light and Stormbringer, Piece Of Mind of course and the early Scorpions records...

I could never get into AC/DC. I dig the hell out of Deep Purple. I'm currently working on getting all their albums, and early Scorpions from Lonesome Crow to Lovedrive are killer. Uli Roth FOREVER!!! hahahaha.

Maiden was my all time favorite metal band until their last album came out. It's the first one I didn't buy. I'm eventually going to sell all the modern era stuff at some point. Except Brave New World. I don't care for the album overall but I have a sentimental attachment to it.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

NTNR wrote:
The closest they ever got to pop was Powerslave, in both sound and appearance. Somewhere in Time wasn't pop at all. Prior to that I'd say Piece of Mind was the darkest. I love the Blaze era albums. The X Factor is their darkest work and just an incredible album. Virtual XI isn't as good but is way better than all the shit they've put out since Bruce's return. Blaze wasn't a good fit for Maiden. I'll be the first to say that, but he wasn't a bad singer. His first two solo albums are killer. I think they should've hired Michael Kiske who'd been fired from Helloween around that time. Maiden was his favorite. Though he would've been fired from Maiden after an album since he just likes making repetitive pop/rock albums. Other than Kiske, I can't think of anyone else who could've sung for Maiden.

I've never understood some of the acclaim given to the Blaze stuff. Badly produced and fairly by the numbers, for the most part. There are some stand out songs though. He sounds like a donkey trying to keep up with race horses most of the time. The live shows showed him up for what he is. A second rate vocalist. I agree his solo stuff is pretty good though. Not sure about Kiske, but they must of considered him, given their ties down the years. Di'anno would never have coped or fitted into the proggy stuff they were doing from the mid nineties onwards. Imagine him trying to do Dance of Death... That said, I can't think of anyone else capable of doing the job. Bruce's shoes are too big to fill.

Did you ever hear the 'theory' that Nicko didn't play on Virtual XI...?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 am
Forum User

VesicaP23 wrote:

Did you ever hear the 'theory' that Nicko didn't play on Virtual XI...?

Never heard of it, do tell!!!!

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

NTNR wrote:

Well, it was quite a while ago now but there were various rumours and ideas doing the rounds that he didn't play on the album. Some of it was to do with the idea that the playing doesn't sound like him. I.e. Someone else was playing his drums. This idea focused on the notion that fills weren't as busy as usual and the playing in general was far more straight, something which Nicko is not known for. The most realistic suggestion I remember hearing for a replacement was that his drum tech sat in for him. Reasons given for his abscence ranged from injury to an internal falling out within the band centered around the idea that he'd lost interest in the group with Bayley as a frontman and thought the material sucked. To my knowledge, none of it is true... :D

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Tombs - The Grand Annihilation

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Trying to listen through the whole 3-cd Electric Café compilation. A myriad of bands from the Slavic world I don't know. A bunch are really interesting.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Black Anvil - As Was

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Antarktis - Illdaante

with ex members of In Mourning and October Tide... pleasant sludge/post-metal... a bit shouty...

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:29 am
Forum User

VesicaP23 wrote:
NTNR wrote:

Well, it was quite a while ago now but there were various rumours and ideas doing the rounds that he didn't play on the album. Some of it was to do with the idea that the playing doesn't sound like him. I.e. Someone else was playing his drums. This idea focused on the notion that fills weren't as busy as usual and the playing in general was far more straight, something which Nicko is not known for. The most realistic suggestion I remember hearing for a replacement was that his drum tech sat in for him. Reasons given for his abscence ranged from injury to an internal falling out within the band centered around the idea that he'd lost interest in the group with Bayley as a frontman and thought the material sucked. To my knowledge, none of it is true... :D

Interesting. I'd honestly never heard that. I love stuff like that. :D

NP:

Deep Purple - Purpendicular

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 369  Next