Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:51 pm



Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Mainstream Metal 
Author Message
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Mainstream Metal

Being as this is an underground site covering for the most part underground releases I'm curious to hear what, if any, mainstream metal and rock bands people here listen to. Who do you rate? Are there bands you grew up with that you still listen to? Are there some you don't? What about current bands? Who is good, or bad? I'm particularly interested in any 'current' mainstream acts you might recommend... :D

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am
Posts: 1288
Location: Doom
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

Does old school "mainstream" count? i.e. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Megadeth, etc...

I can't say I know any "modern" mainstream bands. I'm aware of Behemoth, Gorjira, and others of that ilk, but I'm not sure they count as mainstream.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nevertanezra/163179627054889
http://www.youtube.com/user/NTNR1

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."


Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Teutonia
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

For Thrash Metal I like currently Machine Head & Warbringer. I still stick to At The Gates for Death Metal. Also Deftones is great.

But I don't know any 'new' bands.

_________________
"Nothing left to doom".


Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:18 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 13037
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

I don't know what mainstream metal is. There's no metal on the mainstream channels over here, radio or television. Hard Rock at best, always vintage stuff.

I'm an occasional follower of Rotting Christ, for instance, but are they mainstream? They are among the most talked about metal bands on metal-dedicated forums though.
What else? Riverside maybe? Pain of Salvation... some proggy stuff like that, that are more widely praised than doom for sure!

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:55 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

NTNR wrote:
Does old school "mainstream" count? i.e. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Megadeth, etc...

I can't say I know any "modern" mainstream bands. I'm aware of Behemoth, Gorjira, and others of that ilk, but I'm not sure they count as mainstream.


Old school counts! I'm definitely old school!
Actually it was listening to Gojira that made me write this post. They are probably the only 'new' band I really like. I think thay're great, and just for the record Behemoth's Demigod is one of my favorite Death metal records even if the vocals are far too high in the mix!

Revoked wrote:
For Thrash Metal I like currently Machine Head & Warbringer. I still stick to At The Gates for Death Metal. Also Deftones is great.

But I don't know any 'new' bands.


Warbringer are pretty good, but Machine Head...man, where to begin...They were sooooo powerful back in 1994. I saw their first UK show supporting Slayer and they are the only band I ever saw who came anywhere close to blowing them off the stage. And then it all went to shit! But Burn My Eyes is a fucking beast, no question. I quite like some of Deftones but far prefer Will Haven.

Rotting Christ are fairly mainstream I guess. Are they on some awful label like Century Media?

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9306
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

VesicaP23 wrote:
Actually it was listening to Gojira that made me write this post.


I love Gojira, but are they mainstream? Can't think of any mainstream metal bands... you mean stuff like Metallica?

_________________
It's not Doom...


Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 am
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

Merchant of Doom wrote:
you mean stuff like Metallica?


I suppose so, if we must drag them into it! :D

I guess I mean stuff that would be featured in magazines and trendy websites like Loudwire and Metalsucks. It's not to diss any of it, it's just music after all, rather it's just to see what's out there and find out what people dig away from the underground. Obviously there will be people who don't like anything that might be considered mainstream, and the very best of luck to them. But for those of us with open hearts and minds... :;):

Ok, I just thought of one, seeing as it's popped up on my shuffle...Dreamtheatre...not a new band, but mainstream and metal enough I would argue...

I suppose I'm just being nosey, but I'm also curious to see if there are any 'newer' bands I might like that I haven't heard given that these days I do spend most of my time listening to underground acts... :D

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:54 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 9306
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

Lacuna Coil? :D The singer, Cristina Scabbia, is a judge on The Voice on Italian TV...

I'm not really into mainstream metal... it generally sucks... maybe the only band I can listen to is Mastodon... and Gojira...

Are Ghost "metal"? There used to be quite e few big mainstream bands, and some of them are still going... Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot... but as I said, nothing exciting...

_________________
It's not Doom...


Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am
Posts: 1288
Location: Doom
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

I guess I used to technically listen to mainstream metal in the late 90's. There was a cool rock/metal station that had a very weak signal that would play more than just 'Run to the Hill's' & 'You've got another thing comin''. They'd play actual non-hit songs from mainstream and obscure bands. They disappeared in 98. It was sad. I rarely listen to the radio and if I do it's AM not FM. I've found as the years go on I'm more inclined to find more extreme stuff and shun all that the media would pass off as good.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nevertanezra/163179627054889
http://www.youtube.com/user/NTNR1

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."


Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 13037
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

I can't bear The Rolling Stones. I'm pretty much repelled by anything mainstream.

There' s a band I quite like though, it's Leprous. Proggy, jazzy, a bit whiny stuff made for people with no psychological issues.
But yeah, Mastodon, Riverside, Tool, Monster Magnet... I can listen to that and enjoy it.
I'm quite fond of WASP too! WASP are maybe the most mainstream act I'm into. I find them excellent. Saxon is also worthy of praise - but if my aunt can be seen as the standard mainstream music connoisseur, Saxon should definitely been downgraded to the most obscure act of all.

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:31 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am
Posts: 1288
Location: Doom
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

baphomet wrote:
I can't bear The Rolling Stones. I'm pretty much repelled by anything mainstream.


The Rolling Stones made it into a conversation about modern metal? :shock: The hell you say!!! :D

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nevertanezra/163179627054889
http://www.youtube.com/user/NTNR1

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."


Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 13037
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

nah, Vesica mentions rock and/or metal bands in his opening post.

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:54 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Teutonia
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

@Vesica23: Machine Head.... Of course their debut is the best. Forget about their phony Nu Metal phase. The Blackening is a milestone. Also Bloodstone & Diamonds is 8/10 and Through The Ashes Of Empires is not bad.

So two milestone albums and two very good ones, what can you expect more?

_________________
"Nothing left to doom".


Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:01 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Teutonia
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

If we go for the classics here - who are you into?

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who

I love The Who!

_________________
"Nothing left to doom".


Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

baphomet wrote:
nah, Vesica mentions rock and/or metal bands in his opening post.


Yeah, maybe I should have just said Metal...not so much the whole Beatles/Stones thing... :D

WASP however, definitely mainstream and definitely cool...

Merchant of Doom wrote:
There used to be quite e few big mainstream bands, and some of them are still going... Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot... but as I said, nothing exciting...


This kind of proves my theory that since 'that' time, probably ten years or more, nothing much has come along in the mainstream to take over from the Korns and the Slipknots. For example, if you're a youngster these days, which metal bands are you getting into? Although I was a lot older than that at the time, from a distance I thought Slipknot were great when they first arrived on the scene. The mystique around the first album and the live shows back then were a decent enough kick up the mainstream arse, although it all got a bit cliched after that. They slowly turned into Kiss with their myriad solo projects and side bands, and the whole 'unmasking'...but for about a year or so they were cool...

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:52 pm
Profile
Staff Member
Staff Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 pm
Posts: 771
Location: Down Under (the over)
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

NTNR wrote:
baphomet wrote:
I can't bear The Rolling Stones. I'm pretty much repelled by anything mainstream.


The Rolling Stones made it into a conversation about modern metal? :shock: The hell you say!!! :D


Neither can I! Never, ever understood the fuss about them...and NTNR is right, let's stop talking about them... :D

Edit: just thought of another modern band I like....Whitechapel.

_________________
DOOM WHAT THOU WILT


Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:59 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am
Posts: 1288
Location: Doom
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

VesicaP23 wrote:
This kind of proves my theory that since 'that' time, probably ten years or more, nothing much has come along in the mainstream to take over from the Korns and the Slipknots. For example, if you're a youngster these days, which metal bands are you getting into? Although I was a lot older than that at the time, from a distance I thought Slipknot were great when they first arrived on the scene. The mystique around the first album and the live shows back then were a decent enough kick up the mainstream arse, although it all got a bit cliched after that. They slowly turned into Kiss with their myriad solo projects and side bands, and the whole 'unmasking'...but for about a year or so they were cool...



I had a friend who was really into Skipknot but I never was. They were just Gwar wannabe's except Gwar was amusing. I'll never forget being at the Leipzig With Full Force festival in German in 2000 and seeing their merch placed on display and EVERYONE ignoring it. lol. They even had two goons dress in their prison jump suits and run around. Most of the crowd had Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden shirts. I think 1/3 of the attendees rode in a motorcycles too (those guys either had Manowar or Saxon backpatches). That was a surreal experience.

Having been in high school when those bands were at their height was annoying. I would listen to Maiden, Priest, Venom, Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death, my buddies were all about Slipknot, limp dick shit and red hot chili peppers. It was a sad time. lol

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nevertanezra/163179627054889
http://www.youtube.com/user/NTNR1

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."


Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 13037
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

NTNR, I thought you were older than that! :D In my school time, everybody was into nothing particular.
For some, The Cure was the hottest band around, but they were few. When Appetite for Destruction came out, I litteraly jumped at it! But I must have been the only one intoxicated by this kind of darker stuff. That was in 1988. :oldfart:

I must also name Queensrÿche as one of the mainstream bands that very rarely disappoint me (alwyas the of same proggy vein though.)

_________________
The horror... the horror...
nihil expedit - nothing is worth it


Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Teutonia
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

@ntnr:
I was there too in 2000 :) we might have met.

Can't even remember Slipknot being on the line up. I had a short Punk / Hardcore phase at that time.

But Slayer and Maiden burned the house down!!!

Too bad Machine Head had those awful sound problems.

And yes, former East Germany is true metal territory, in general.

_________________
"Nothing left to doom".


Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:23 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am
Posts: 1288
Location: Doom
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mainstream Metal

baphomet wrote:
NTNR, I thought you were older than that! :D In my school time, everybody was into nothing particular.
For some, The Cure was the hottest band around, but they were few. When Appetite for Destruction came out, I litteraly jumped at it! But I must have been the only one intoxicated by this kind of darker stuff. That was in 1988. :oldfart:

I must also name Queensrÿche as one of the mainstream bands that very rarely disappoint me (alwyas the of same proggy vein though.)




I get mistaken for being older a lot. lol. I graduated in 01 but I grew up listening to quality metal.

Revoked wrote:
@ntnr:
I was there too in 2000 :) we might have met.

Can't even remember Slipknot being on the line up. I had a short Punk / Hardcore phase at that time.

But Slayer and Maiden burned the house down!!!

Too bad Machine Head had those awful sound problems.

And yes, former East Germany is true metal territory, in general.


I spent some time in Chemnitz. Beautiful city, I still have a good friend who lives there.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nevertanezra/163179627054889
http://www.youtube.com/user/NTNR1

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."


Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.