Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Вой (Voj) - funeral doom group of the USSR 
Forum User

Post Вой (Voj) - funeral doom group of the USSR

The USSR. Moscow. 1991. "Кругами Вечности" (Circles of eternity) - unique album for the time. Perhaps one of the first records (if not the first) in style funeral doom.
Crude, repetitive doom with the pseudo-satanic texts. Compared with the finns Thergothon the recording quality of the Voj noticeably better, although the recorded material in absolute underground by the standards of the European studios.

who ever heard of this miracle?

Навсегда оградив от суеты..."

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:24 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post Re: Вой (Voj) - funeral doom group of the USSR

MNLT wrote:
The USSR. Moscow. 1991. "Кругами Вечности" (Circles of eternity) - unique album for the time. Perhaps one of the first records (if not the first) in style funeral doom.
Crude, repetitive doom with the pseudo-satanic texts. Compared with the finns Thergothon the recording quality of the Voj noticeably better, although the recorded material in absolute underground by the standards of the European studios.

who ever heard of this miracle?

me! :headbanghair: and I like them.

But funeral doom began with Fhtagn nagh Yog-Sothoth and that's a fact. :!: :)

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 pm
Forum User

Not a fact :) Voj was formed in the late 80-ies, in the 88 year they recorded their first demo, and already in 90-91 gg gave live performances in Moscow, and musically, they were closer to the funeral doom than Thergothon :gravegrab: :)

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 am
Forum User

Wow, this is amazing, what a discovery! I couldn't stop listening for a while. There's one other song on youtube:

Especially this one really blew me away.

Are the other tracks to be found anywhere? Or was this ever re-released or bootlegged or something? Was it even an official demo, with artwork and everything up and on it? Any info, maybe cover art, ect, would be welcome. Totally a hidden gem, and quite a surprise! Anyway, this must be quite unique indeed for that time, especially coming from the Sovjet Union, and with such decent sound quality. (I mean, from the little info I could find googling this band, it seems it was near impossible or at least very hard to record and release anything official or professional over there until after the fall of the Sovjet Union)

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:14 pm
Forum User

From an interview:

"...The group was formed me (alexey lapshin) in July 88 years. Played in the style of Black-Doom. Music and lyrics were written by me. The topics were buried deep in hell, satanism, etc. In the 89 year recorded the first demo, 40 minutes with the title "Дети Чумы" (Children Of Plague), and the second very high quality album, which was recorded at the studio Векштейна, called "Кругами Вечности". Performed five concerts, of which three are played with the "Черный Обелиск"! At the end of the 91 th "Вой" graduated from existence..."

"...dwarf Vovka went to time of concerts on a scene, dressed in a black robe with crosses and skulls. He portrayed the tormentor to hell. Now remember, even funny, a children's garden of some sort. And now Vladimir works in the show "Корозия Металла"..."

Available only demo "Кругами Вечности" 1991, the demo has never been released officially, and for a long time records existed only on tapes in private collections. Demo 1989 it is possible to our days not yet reached the no one copy ((

track-list demo 91:

1. Симфония Луны (Symphony Of The Moon)
2. Я ухожу (I'm Leaving)
3. Третий круг ада (The Third Circle Of Hell)
4. Вечный властелин (The Eternal Lord )
5. Магический круг (Magic Circle)

Last edited by MNLT on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:06 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

MNLT wrote:
Not a fact :) Voj was formed in the late 80-ies, in the 88 year they recorded their first demo, and already in 90-91 gg gave live performances in Moscow, and musically, they were closer to the funeral doom than Thergothon :gravegrab: :)

Sorry, you are mistaken. Вой is not "closer" to funeral doom than Thergothon! They are just the logical progression of the slow doom/death of Winter, dISEMBOWELMENT and Necro Schizma. Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth is the origin of funeral doom as a genre and the first offering of said genre, and that is indisputable. Вой, Mordor, Necro Schizma may have all been sloooooow but tempo doesn't necessarily equal "funeral doom" because there is more to its musical language then that. Funeral Doom was defined by Thergothon alone and then continued/expanded on by Skepticism's 'Aeothe Kaear' & Funeral's 'Tristesse'. Accolades must also be given to Unholy, Esoteric and a few others that influenced the style greatly. :D That's my humble opinion and I'm in total agreement with myself :p

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:26 pm
Forum User

I've been looking around online for the demo but have only come across dead old links. Damn you, mysterious old rare doom!

|| Don't Be Afraid: Detox's Guide To Doom Metal ||

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Funeralwhisper, Вой could not be a logical progression of the Winter, dISEMBOWELMENT and Necro Schizma, they played their music in isolation from the western scene, I doubt that they heard these records at the time. In the Soviet union it was almost impossible to buy foreign metal music, the more underground group , and the internet didn't exist then. :)

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 am
Forum User

We may never know for sure where exactly their influences came from. :) For that time it seems quite unique and original, but if I really have to compare it to anything, to me it more or less sounds like some sort of very slow Russian Celtic Frost. If there's any Western band they might have heard and been influenced by, my bet is on CF.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:58 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

MNLT wrote:
Funeralwhisper, Вой could not be a logical progression of the Winter, dISEMBOWELMENT and Necro Schizma, they played their music in isolation from the western scene, I doubt that they heard these records at the time. In the Soviet union it was almost impossible to buy foreign metal music, the more underground group , and the internet didn't exist then. :)

...So no Russians participated in the tape trading of extreme metal in the late 80's, early 90's? :/

I'm sure Vader had difficulty but they managed in Soviet controlled Poland, so I believe I can say with
certainty that Вой did not create their music in TRUE ISOLATION from outside western influence, not a chance. "almost impossible" is not impossible ergo possible they were influenced by the aforementioned bands. Either way they recorded a crushing demo and too bad they didn't continue with more. Thanks for bringing Вой to the forum, obscure bands are always a welcome delight. :beerchug:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 am
Forum User

Funeralwhisper, In the USSR in the late 80s early 90s there was a popular punk rock, heavy metal and thrash metal, "Russian rock", but not Doom, Black, Death metal, etc. I do not exclude the influence of the western groups at the music Вой, but it is certainly not the Winter, dISEMBOWELMENT and Thergothon. These groups became known at us a bit later. I do not know how at the time was the case in Poland, perhaps it was easier to deal with this matter, poland was not a part of the USSR, the"iron curtain" was much softer.
Always glad to help, the underground of the USSR and Russia keeps many secrets :) :beerchug: :headbanghair:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:42 am
Forum User

Nonkel Filémon wrote:
We may never know for sure where exactly their influences came from. :) For that time it seems quite unique and original, but if I really have to compare it to anything, to me it more or less sounds like some sort of very slow Russian Celtic Frost. If there's any Western band they might have heard and been influenced by, my bet is on CF.

Celtic Frost can be exerted some influence :)

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

MNLT wrote:
Always glad to help, the underground of the USSR and Russia keeps many secrets :) :beerchug: :headbanghair:

:) Secret bands from Russia make me giddy! :lalala:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:04 am
Forum User

they're great. i'd call it death doom personally.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:33 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

||||| wrote:
they're great. i'd call it death doom personally.

Agreed. :buttrock:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

that's nice, very cold with the industrialized bleakness of Zaraza. It's death doom alright.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:50 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
that's nice, very cold with the industrialized bleakness of Zaraza. It's death doom alright.

"Zaraza!" Good call.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 am
Forum User

wow it was suprise of all suprises, I never know beck in ussr there was such band and genre exist there, even in deeper nderground since hard rock, thrash metal , lil dead metal, was popular in wrong side of iron courtan, but this band, sounds awesome realy awesome

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:08 pm
Forum User

I've just found a valid link from their '91 album!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:03 pm
Forum User

we found that record on reel tape and I converted it to digital format in 2008 I think
we thought about a release some time ago but didn't found any right owners
so it's still unreleased
we gave an mp3 preview to someone and it leaked to internet
but now the situation have changed and I don't think release of demo with such quality will be actual
I can upload it to solitude site for a limited time to all of you to download in mp3 of maybe flac format

anyone interested in?

Site: https://solitude-prod.com
YouTube: https://bit.ly/solitudetube
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/solitudeprod
Twitter: https://twitter.com/solitude_bmm
Bandcamp: https://solitudeproductions.bandcamp.com

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next