DiscosMacarros
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Origins of name Funeral Doom 
Forum User

Post Origins of name Funeral Doom

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know who actually coined the term Funeral Doom? Thanks.

Sun May 07, 2017 7:35 am
Forum User

Post Re: Origins of name Funeral Doom

Lugubrious wrote:
My apologies if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know who actually coined the term Funeral Doom? Thanks.

The Norwegian band Funeral who played this kind of music, at least in the beginning of their career...

Sun May 07, 2017 5:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hard to be affirmative. I've heard it was a term that one of the Skepticism's members used to describe their music in one early interview they did in the beginning , around the release of Stormcrowfleet, like "it's the sound of a funeral"; the fans spread the word and it became a label, but maybe that's a legend...

Sun May 07, 2017 8:21 pm
Forum User

As far as I remember, the name was given to describe thergothon sound. Their music was so slow as the funeral march.... maybe, maybe not..... no one really knows perhaps

Tue May 30, 2017 8:02 pm
Forum User

Thergothon and Skepticism are the pioneers of this style. But the name "Funeral" must come not only because of the sound, but also for the theme of these bands

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:02 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

I've seen a lot of people around the forum disagree that Funeral's early work is sincerely "funeral doom" because they also had some death/doom elements as well. However, I honestly feel this song from their 'Tragedies' album is the pinnacle of funeral-themed sounding metal. I remember a few years ago, there had been a really intense snowstorm and my mother needed me to shovel the snow off of the driveway. I listened to this album while I did it, and it was extremely fitting. The only image that I could see being more suitable for the album would be actually carrying a coffin uphill in the midst of rain or snow.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:38 am
Forum User

It's a fan or media made genre description. As far as I know Skepticism was the first who got that tag. I remember that it had more to do with the use of "church organs" than anything funeral. None of the pioneering bands labelled themselves as funeral doom. I don't think that anyone labelled Thergothon as funeral doom at the time when they were still active.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

wolfborn wrote:
It's a fan or media made genre description. As far as I know Skepticism was the first who got that tag. I remember that it had more to do with the use of "church organs" than anything funeral. None of the pioneering bands labelled themselves as funeral doom. I don't think that anyone labelled Thergothon as funeral doom at the time when they were still active.

I remember seeing Thergothon being listed as death/doom loooong ago from some super old review website. I know Pantheist have called themselves Funeral Doom since their first album, though I don't know if any other bands were self-described as FD at the time. Even Funeral themselves called their stuff "Melodic Doom Metal" around the time of Tristesse.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:48 pm
Forum User

The funeral tag was very much prevalent in the era of Pantheist's demo 1000 years, so it must have existed along time prior to that. Even Worship's demotape-turned-debut was given that title and I think that was earlier than the aforementioned, so it must have been hanging around since the very early bands; either Funeral, Thergothon or Skepticism...

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 pm
Forum User

It's not a term like Heavy Metal which is more a collective noun than a descriptor of the music, the listener knows instinctively it's to do with the emotions associated with funerals. I suspect enough people said Skepticism's music sounds like funeral doom that they put the name to it.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:45 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I think there are too many legends about the origin of the term to really pin down its actual origin. It's much the same with the term 'Jungle' (as in Proto-Drum'n'Bass), funnily enough. If I had to guess, though, I'd place my bet on the theory that it emerged as a descriptive term used by listeners/critics. I don't really think it's taken from the band Funeral, even if they did play their part in laying the foundations of the style without actually playing it in its eventual form.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
I think there are too many legends about the origin of the term to really pin down its actual origin. It's much the same with the term 'Jungle' (as in Proto-Drum'n'Bass), funnily enough. If I had to guess, though, I'd place my bet on the theory that it emerged as a descriptive term used by listeners/critics. I don't really think it's taken from the band Funeral, even if they did play their part in laying the foundations of the style without actually playing it in its eventual form.

I'm inclined to agree. That's pretty much how all tags have always started - journos invent them as their pet shorthand, bands and labels hate the pigeonholing, and sooner or later the fanbase agree it's OK and retro-fit a load of stuff under it.
Always amuses me that Bauhaus had actually split up before 'Goth' was ever deemed a 'proper music label' rather than an insult, and Bela Lugosi's Dead officially and retrospectively became the first real 'Goth' track!
As for 'Funeral Doom' you can pretty much take your pick between Thergothon, Skepticism and, well, Funeral - they've all got equally valid claims to the title, and I'll happily bet you that not one of them ever originally described themselves in that way back in the day...might even be an interesting exercise to ask them, since they're all still around now (assuming Niko Scorpio is still carrying the Thergothon banner, that is).

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:46 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Indeed - why not ask some of the original protagonists of the movement? Just don't ask Anders Eek; he'll undoubtedly claim the inventor's crown for himself.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]