Radioactive
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Doom & Movies 
Forum User

Post Doom & Movies

What I've been asking myself some years ago and then again and again came to my mind:

Some Doom bands do references to some (trashy?) old horror movies, don't they.

Meaning especially Cathedral with "Hopkins" and so on. (There is also a band calles Witchfinder General....)

- Are there other (Doom) bands who use ideas and samples from movies as well?
- Does anybody know how and why this combination appeared?
- Why are the so into whitches?
- Are any of the movies worth watching? (if yes which?)

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:46 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Doom & Movies

Black Sabbath are named after a horror movie! So this has been there since the start.

Wikipedia wrote:
While playing shows in England in 1969, the band discovered they were being mistaken for another English group named Earth. They decided to change their name again. A cinema across the street from the band's rehearsal room was showing the 1963 horror film Black Sabbath starring Boris Karloff and directed by Mario Bava. While watching people line up to see the film, Butler noted that it was "strange that people spend so much money to see scary movies". Following that, Osbourne and Butler wrote the lyrics for a song called "Black Sabbath", which was inspired by the work of horror and adventure-story writer Dennis Wheatley, along with a vision that Butler had of a black silhouetted figure standing at the foot of his bed. Making use of the musical tritone, also known as "the Devil's Interval", the song's ominous sound and dark lyrics pushed the band in a darker direction, a stark contrast to the popular music of the late 1960s, which was dominated by flower power, folk music, and hippie culture. Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford has called the track "probably the most evil song ever written". Inspired by the new sound, the band changed their name to Black Sabbath in August 1969, and made the decision to focus on writing similar material, in an attempt to create the musical equivalent of horror films.

So many bands do it now because they either copy Sabbath's style directly, or via the original copycats such as Electric Wizard who have got lazy doing that same thing over and over. And because they made it so easy to emulate, a million other bands popped up with their hammer horror dvd's and big muffs.

Several of my bands songs are about movies but not usually horror movies because at this point the world does not need another band doing that. Some have been direct lyrical references ("Monolith") and others have more sought to describe the feelings created by certain movies that have had a profound effect on me.

I'm not sure its even really a Doom thing. Hip Hop music and electronic stuff of all kinds that uses sampling will sample movies all the time. Then stuff like Skinny Puppy etc... I think a lot of people are influenced by movies as they are such an effective art form when it all comes together.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I think it's a matter of making the soundscape richer by adding a few well chosen punch lines, often dealing with witches, the devil and other traditional horror figures, it just brings about some emotional texture to the music.

Well, witches is quite an erotic theme (at least when they're young and pretty)! You know, eros vs thanatos. And Metal is mostly a male teenager thing dreaming himeself as a dropout, he sees in the witch a figure that mirrors his own condition.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 am
Forum User

Ok thanks. Didn't know the Sabbath story. And of course the copy issue it is logic...

I agree that music is often inspired by movies. Probably metal even a little more than other stuff.

Back to (one of) my questions above: Did you see any of those classic witchhunter movies? If yes which one would be worth watching?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Bava's 'La maschera del demonio' - Mask of the Demon? I don't know the English title, is certainly a seminal movie, it set a kind of frame that served as a guideline for a whole tradition of horror movies.

The latest of that genre is also worth watching, but don't expect a classic horror flick, it's more subtle, it's Eggers' 'The Witch'

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:08 pm
Forum User

Antichrist (2009 film). It's very slow, abstract and cool. Therefore it MUST be doom. :laugh:

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]