DiscosMacarros
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
The General Recommendation Thread 
Forum User

Post Re: The General Recommendation Thread

ANGEL OF DAMNATION

https://myspace.com/angelofdamnationdoom

Why, lord, tell me why does not this band record a new album????? :tantrum:

Tue May 30, 2017 2:04 pm
Forum User

Good morning Doom fans. I was hoping that someone could help me in my search…

I would truly appreciate recommendations from yourselves to help locate a band that fits the following criteria;

1. Massive massive riffs (a given, you think may think - but I struggle to find riffs big enough to sate my appetite!)
2. Dark and utterly bleak atmosphere
3. Rough,shouted or growled vocals. (I have nothing against old school Doom they satisfy point 1. Extremely well however I find the vocals contradict point 2. – that is just my personal opinion I don’t mean to offend the Trad vocal stylings.)
4. lyrics (if they can be deciphered, see point 3.) about death, suffering, misanthropy and other depressive subjects.
5. Current bands - I want to be able to see these guys live as well as get their LPs. (not as imports and 1. 2. 3. I guess – don’t want to write off a hidden gem, album comes first before live)

I am aware this may be a big ask, as I said I have thus far failed in my search, finding only bands that tick two or three of the ‘boxes’ that being said I have really enjoyed my first proper delve into the doomy depths. I am just hoping that your collective knowledge can lead me to this ideal (for me) doom that I seek!

Thanks in advance!

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 am
Forum User

Actually what you describe fits so many of the doom bands that do not use clean vocals.

Since the vocals, lyrics and atmosphere points are kinda given for the doom bands, I'll take the riffs as a starting point (but you really need to be more specific - do you like as slow as possible, or not? Can the riffs be bouncy (stoner/doom bands are said to be the heaviest of all, but their riffs are bouncy). Really, really massive riffs are to be found mainly in stoner and sludge doom (not that funeral and death/doom are not heavy, but that's a different level of heavy=)

I find stoner too happy - so here are some sludgy doom that comes to mind (Lyrics disregarded, as i stopped caring for lyrics long time ago, so i dunno)

Buried at Sea - Migration
Halo - Body of Light
Walk through Fire - Hope is Misery
Drowning Horse - s/t
Zatokrev - Silk Spiders Underwater
Whitehorse - Raised into Darkness
Usnea - Random Cosmic Violence
Unearthy Trance - Season of Seance, Science of Silence
Towards Darkness - Barren
The Body

If you want more massive then that - maybe stoner bands like Conan, YOB, Ufomammut, Cough, Indian, Primitive Man, Opium Lord will be to your liking

Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:51 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Some good suggestions there. The Walk Through Fire album came to my mind as I read the initial post.

Ritual Abuse by Cough would absolutely fit the bill, one of my all time fav albums, although if you want something more stoner then the follow up Still They Pray would probably suffice.

If it's a bleak atmosphere, and painfully slow tempo you want then Sub Templum by Moss, along with most of their other stuff, ought to be on your list. Come to Grief by Grief might tickle your fancy too.

Other bands who plough a particularly bleak and/or doomy furrow might include Servants of the Mist, Mudbath, Iron Monkey, Sea Bastard, Of Spire and Throne, Thou, Hipoxia, Grey Widow, Wreck of the Hesperus, Corrupted and more recently Angakok's eponymous debut. Noothgrush too if it's more of a typical Sludge style you want. Californian duo Keeper (particulalry their MMXIV release) are also pretty cool

Burning Witch are always good for a laugh... :;):

For a more Trad Doom approach, Serpent Venom may work for you musically but not necessarily lyrically.

Mine are mostly Sludge based recommendations as that's my preferred realm of Doom. No doubt some of the others will be along soon to feather the nest further.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:27 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Niqlous wrote:
1. Massive massive riffs (a given, you think may think - but I struggle to find riffs big enough to sate my appetite!)
2. Dark and utterly bleak atmosphere
3. Rough,shouted or growled vocals. (I have nothing against old school Doom they satisfy point 1. Extremely well however I find the vocals contradict point 2. – that is just my personal opinion I don’t mean to offend the Trad vocal stylings.)
4. lyrics (if they can be deciphered, see point 3.) about death, suffering, misanthropy and other depressive subjects.
5. Current bands - I want to be able to see these guys live as well as get their LPs. (not as imports and 1. 2. 3. I guess – don’t want to write off a hidden gem, album comes first before live)

All your criteria point to Funeralium, active French band, they're palying live a lot too.

But As said before, the Sludge Doom scene is the most able to supply you with what you're looking for. Ur or Drowning Horse are two other recs in the genre - not sure about the lyrics though.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:57 am
Forum User

Well thank you indeed klamerin! This list should keep me thoroughly busy!

To answer your question about Riffs: I was referring to discernible solid guitar lines. I am not a fan of blast beat/wall of noise where guitar, bass and drums meld into one and it is impossible to distinguish what the hell is going on. I do love painfully slow Guitar riffs but am not averse to the odd flourish and up-tempo section.

Having been a fan of black metal for years and only recently starting my journey into the depths of doom I have developed an acquired taste for the bleakest atmospheres going – only recently realising that doom has a lot to offer in this department. I have therefore not quite come to grips with all of the delights doom has to offer via its subgenres. Following your pointers, it appears I should perhaps start within the sludge realm.
As you have probably guessed I do not think stoner is for me either if it is ‘bouncy’.

Thanks also to VesicaP23 – I note your suggestions are again of the sludgy variety, I have taken your recommendations into my list also. I thank you – my bank balance may not!!

Finally, thanks be to baphomet. I actually read a few reviews after posting my original message and found Funeralium – I have been listening to their ‘of throes and blight’ really intense stuff, loving that haha.

again you have recommended more Sludge Doom, as this seems to be the reoccurring recommendation I appreciate your guidance of Ur or Drowning Horse this have been duly added to the list.

Thank you all for your responses, this should keep my mind occupied and my bank balance dwindling!

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:49 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Not sure it's 100% doom, though... :)

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:18 pm
Forum User

Yeah, I have all the stuff Schammasch' have done. They can create very intense atmospheres - I got into them through the black metal scene - however, I think they call themselves avant-garde / extreme. Which is rather pretentious but the quality of their work speaks for itself.

Their album Triangles is a real trip and begs to be consumed in one sitting. It is a three disc affair though so I only go back into it every now and then.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

[quote="Merchant of Doom"]Not sure it's 100% doom, though... :)

cheers! I didn't know that band, very well worth investigating further, it seems.

@Niqlous; give also a try to Noûs, crushing sludge doom from Australia:

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:58 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Niqlous wrote:
Yeah, I have all the stuff Schammasch' have done. They can create very intense atmospheres - I got into them through the black metal scene - however, I think they call themselves avant-garde / extreme. Which is rather pretentious but the quality of their work speaks for itself.

Their album Triangles is a real trip and begs to be consumed in one sitting. It is a three disc affair though so I only go back into it every now and then.

yep... they are a bit more on the black metal side... :) but the atmosphere is very doomy... maybe doomy black.... :) Triangles is a masterpiece, IMO...

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm
Forum User

Well, as you elaborated on the massive riff requirements, I'd say that Ataraxie definitely fits the bill (closely related to Funeralium - at time faster, but also heavier).

So does Ophis, Ennui and Worship, Disrotted early stuff.

Longing for Dawn are not active but the first two albums are mandatory and filled with amazing clear riffs.

And considering your background, you need to check some Black/Doom - Nortt, Abyssmal Sorrow, Funeral Mourning, Mourning Dawn, Deinonychus, Wry for starters=)

p.s. Nous is a great rec=)

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:24 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:

p.s. Nous is a great rec=)

It is! :D All their eps are for free on top of it!

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 am
Forum User

Bagarre Générale from France released its new album, and it's pretty great. Instrumental Doom with trombones; as they call it, "retro-futuristic Doom Metal":

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hallatar is a new black-ish doom death band founded by STS's guitarist. It's kind of deepening the darkest side of STS. Far less melodic than STS's usual offerings at any rate.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Hallatar is a new black-ish doom death band founded by STS's guitarist. It's kind of deepening the darkest side of STS. Far less melodic than STS's usual offerings at any rate.

The Finnish trio got together at the behest of multi-instrumentalist Juha Raivio (also Swallow the Sun) to pay homage to his wife and Trees of Eternity bandmate, Aleah Starbridge, who passed away last year prior to the release of the band’s Hour of the Nightingale debut album on Svart Records. Hallatar brings Raivio together with Amorphis vocalist Tomi Joutsen, who’ll be performing Starbridge‘s lyrics, and ex-HIM drummer Gas Lipstick, and their own first outing, titled No Stars upon the Bridge, is due out this Fall, also through Svart.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:50 am
Forum User

some of you might like this: https://satanath.bandcamp.com/album/sat ... ation-2017

The Father Of Serpents, from Serbia. debut album: Age Of Damnation.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:39 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Benthic Realm is the new incarnation of Second Grave. I read the short interview they did on this site, in the hope I'll get some explanations about the reason why they disbanded second Grave, but I got none, I still don't understand their decision as they are not doing something dramatically different. But hey, that means it's still very good!

https://benthicrealm.bandcamp.com/

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:10 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

MALEMORT, extreme black-ish doom death à la française! :D

Fans of Ataraxie, Mourning Dawn etc should give them some attention. A tad more experimental in their noisy leanings maybe.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2017/06/2 ... -collapse/

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:49 am
Forum User

Qhwertt released a new album !:

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Awesome news! It seems there's not physical copies available... too bad.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next