Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Just wondering 
Forum User

Post Just wondering

What is your opinion on Officium Triste?

I think they're great :p

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

I really like the album "Reason", the new album didn't catch my attention much.. Thought it was rather bland.
I'll have another listen I guess.

With every tear a dream..

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:35 am
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

"Reason" is a fantastic album. Besides, there are some really good songs on "Ne Vivam" (I particularly like "Lonesome"), but there are various tracks on the first two albums which I can't really get into. I actually never cared much about "The Pathway", I bought it and listened to it a few times only, even though some songs are decent. I found "Foul Play" rather funny. :;):

As to the new album, I'll order it someday (or buy it at the DDD), but I've been putting it off again and again up to now because I have so much stuff to buy that I get troubles prioritising. The track on Myspace sounded interesting though, good to see another Death Doom band finally incorporating clean vocals again.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:46 am
Forum User

Pim has a great voice

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:49 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

yes, Reason is great. Giving Yourself Away a bit disappointing. I was expecting something stronger, but still worth the money, IMO.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:56 pm
Forum User

What is the disappointing bit?

Personally I feel we have written a strong album. With the typical ingredients but far from being a copy of Reason. A decent production. I also think you have got to give this album some time to grow. But that's of course my 2 cents and I'm biased.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

everything i've heard i've enjoyed quite a bit. they are one of the bands on the thergothon tribute i am most looking forward to. how goes the cover, pim?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:05 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Pim wrote:
What is the disappointing bit?

Personally I feel we have written a strong album. With the typical ingredients but far from being a copy of Reason. A decent production. I also think you have got to give this album some time to grow. But that's of course my 2 cents and I'm biased.

just a bit on the repetitive side, Pim, and a couple of songs could be stronger, but overall is a good album. I voted it one of the best releases of 2007 in the poll, so my criticism is limited... :;):

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 pm
I have only heard "Reason". Amazing. "The sun doesn't shine anymore" is one of my favorite doom songs.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:27 am
Forum User

persist wrote:
everything i've heard i've enjoyed quite a bit. they are one of the bands on the thergothon tribute i am most looking forward to. how goes the cover, pim?

We still have to record it :;):

Merchant of Doom wrote:
just a bit on the repetitive side, Pim, and a couple of songs could be stronger, but overall is a good album. I voted it one of the best releases of 2007 in the poll, so my criticism is limited...

The repetetive parts were intentional.

Anyway, it's nice to hear some feedback as we basically don't receive much feedback at all. ???

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Quote:
Anyway, it's nice to hear some feedback as we basically don't receive much feedback at all. ???

Officium Triste are one of my favourite bands ever... and I already look forward to your next album! I hope this doesn't sound too sycophantic... :;):

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:05 am
Forum User

I'm not so much into doom-death anymore these days. That's why I was surprised at how much I liked 'Reason'. It's a great album. Still have to buy 'Giving yourself away' though..

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Pim wrote:

The repetetive parts were intentional.

I didn't mean repetitive parts in the songs (the extensive use of piano, etc.), but the same repetitive atmosphere within the album. Having said that, I do like albums which are consistently atmospheric like 'Giving yourself away'.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:18 pm
Forum User

I love Officium Triste (english translation?sad work?what?) favourite album Reason, do you need a Reason? I don't think so.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:53 pm
Forum User

officium -i, n. dutiful or respectful action; attendance, service, duty; sense of duty, respect, courtesy; submission, allegiance.
triste sadly, sorrowfully; harshly, severely

So Officium Triste means something like a sad service, hence referring to a funeral for instance.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Well they have great albums and every year I see them 5/6 times live and they never disappoint me. Great band!

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Heh, Pim, that's interesting. Somehow I always thought the name referred to the sad and tough obligation to lead one's life, I never thought of "service" as a possible translation...

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:33 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Pim wrote:
officium -i, n. dutiful or respectful action; attendance, service, duty; sense of duty, respect, courtesy; submission, allegiance.
triste sadly, sorrowfully; harshly, severely

So Officium Triste means something like a sad service, hence referring to a funeral for instance.

Funnily enough, I interpreted the name the right way. Latin for 'sad ceremony/service'... the duty meaning never crossed my mind.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:16 am
Forum User

Well, I haven't been schooled in latin but I was told that in this particular combination this would be the proper translation. At least we've got a name that is subject to discussion :;):

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Pim wrote:
Well, I haven't been schooled in latin but I was told that in this particular combination this would be the proper translation. At least we've got a name that is subject to discussion :;):

well, I have... :) and the primary meaning of officium is 'service' as in religious service... I think it's a good choice for a Doom band name. Doom on!

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next