A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Extreme Doom with Clean Vocals 
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post Extreme Doom with Clean Vocals

Hey, I'm new here and I would like to see if you guys could find some good bands for me! What I'm looking for is doom with clean vocals, but not traditional doom, atmospheric/gothic doom, or stoner doom. I want some dark, heavy, raw, ultra slow doom with clean vocals.

First, I would like to find some death/doom with a lot of female vocals.

Think along the lines of Autumnal Discord, Funeral, The Slow Death, or even Unholy. They have female vocals, but they rely more on creating a gloomy, depressed atmosphere rather than going the symphonic/gothic route. I don't really want just female chants like Shape of Despair, or a ton of keyboards like Consummatum Est, Shroud of Bereavement, or Remembrance. I want it to still sound aggressive and dark, with nil to no gothic elements. (BTW, I'm a huge fan of Murkrat, Omit, and Skumring, although that's not what I'm looking for. Just putting that out there!)

Also, I would like to find some drone/doom metal with clean, chanting vocals (doesn't matter whether they're male or female). I'm thinking of bands like Sink, Monarch, Bloody Panda, and Asva. Heavy, HUGE riffs with ghostly, haunting, almost Gregorian vocals. It would be especially cool if the vocals were choral, (for instance, I really loved the female vocals on Sunn O)))'s album Monoliths and Dimensions).

All input is greatly appreciated, even if it's not quite what I want. Also, I'm very open to new ideas, so don't be afraid to step outside of the box a little!

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post Re: Extreme Doom with Clean Vocals

After re-reading my post I realized that my recommendations didn't match up to your request. I think Baphomet hit the nail on the head with his picks for you,
so I figured it might be best to edit this post, and erase my inarticulate choices, and save face! LOL :S

Last edited by Son of Law on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

for death doom with haunting and dark female vox, right now, I have no clue; but try Undersmile, even if not death doom, it's still cold as hell (well not hell, but you get the idea)

about clean voice in drone doom , go for Heilani and Mark Finney; Echoes of Yul (some songs anyway) and Detritivor ; all good bands that match your request.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
for death doom with haunting and dark female vox, right now, I have no clue; but try Undersmile, even if not death doom, it's still cold as hell (well not hell, but you get the idea)

about clean voice in drone doom , go for Heilani and Mark Finney; Echoes of Yul (some songs anyway) and Detritivor ; all good bands that match your request.

DETRITIVOR!!! excellent choice. :guinness:

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:25 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've spinned it this morning just to be sure I wasn't saying bullshit; in fact, you hardly have any voice on it. Just in the beginning, you have that clean chanting voice, but it's not that predominant either. Tough request!
Btw, it's Heinali and not Heilani and it's Matt and not Mark; so at the end, it's Heinali and Matt Finney. And that's a real cool band!

edit: what you need is Nyogtha / Hymns to the astral planes. it totally fits your description: haunting esoteric mumbled chants, both male and female upon layers of drones.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Forum User

How much out of the box will be for you if we talk about Fallen?

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:22 pm
Forum User

Good choice! Quite heavy indeed, and extremely deep and low vocals. It's basically a continuaction of old school Funeral anyway (with male vocals), so it's a logical recommendation actually.

I also recommend Pantheïst. All their music is worth a listen, but especially in your case I recommend you begin with the earlier stuff first, as the last two albums are a bit more progressive, especially the newest one, so although I really like them a lot, they're probably not the ideal starting point for you. The debut album is really good, and has a bit rawer sound I guess, but when your main interest is the vocals, I guess the 2nd album, and the EP they released after that, may be of special interest to you, during that period they had one of the most amazing (clean) vocalists I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpfyygNFkhM

I still think it was quite a loss that he moved to another country and couldn't stay with the band, he gave the already great music even more extra magic with that deep, impressive (and probably classically trained?), chanting voice. Keep in mind that although they can get quite heavy, some tracks may be a bit too atmospheric and/or keyboard heavy for you, but it's definitely not "gothic" or your typical pseudo-symphonic keyboard and synth stuff. Also, it's not clean vocals exclusively, they mix them with some grunts and occasional screams on all albums, especially the older stuff.

I think I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for my own sake as well, because I'm more or less kind of looking for the same thing. There doesn't seem to be that much death/doom, funeral doom, and/or other "extreme" doom out there where clean vocals dominate, especially not (neo)classical (for lack of a better word) type vocals. So I'm looking for more, but obviously not the typical alternation between death grunts and "normal" clean vocals, but more bands where clean vocals play the biggest part, or with clean vocals only. I don't mind if it's combined with influences of classical music, dark ambient, ect (violins, organs, ...), in fact it can be a plus, but it's got to have heavy guitars/riffs as well, I'm looking for doom, not slow "gothic" metal with typical "symponic" keyboards, ect. Something like Akelei is welcome too, and I don't mind female vocals either, but I'm particularly interested in finding more doom stuff with baritone-like vocals like Andy did for Pantheïst, or Fallen, or other "classically inspired" chanting, or anything like that. This is another good, and a bit different example of the kind of stuff I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Ov1B67V8Y This is pretty atmospheric though, wich I absolutely love, but I wouldn't mind finding something similar with a heavier guitar sound too. In Somnis is a good example too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-DIEtB_4Xo I'm obviously talking about the deep clean vocals in the beginning here, even though I like the grunts. And I think with that I have summed up most of what I can think of without researching my entire collection of music for stuff I might have forgotten.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I would recommend Asunder. Both their albums feature bleak chanted vocals, albeit not prominently, and they used to play excellent Death Doom.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:00 am
Forum User

Void of Silence - Human Antithesis.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:05 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

HOP!

Update to this thread to give some support to the new album of The Howling Void. The guy decided to go for a clean voice all the way and it works really well. That's a very fine project overall but this peculiar album is rather special compared to the others.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:14 pm
Forum User

Fallen - A Tragedy's Bitter End. Incredible album.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:41 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
HOP!

Update to this thread to give some support to the new album of The Howling Void. The guy decided to go for a clean voice all the way and it works really well. That's a very fine project overall but this peculiar album is rather special compared to the others.

I looked into this. Nothing new, but well done. Really brings back the old sounds of Pantheist, Fallen, and Ras Algethi.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:23 pm
Forum User

Was going to mention Void of Silence and Pantheist, Virgin Black also have clean vocals, but tend to stray from funeral/gothic doom at times.
Do also check out Omit from Norway.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I'm really late for the party in this thread. :)

Before the Rain is a pretty good example imo. Very slow with mostly clean vocals, but some growling here and there.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Well, thus subject is deep, so not sure these simple recommendation fit, but let me try...

1. Mourning Beloveth use some clean vocals. I remember liking "Dust" specifically for that - check out Autumnal Fires from that album, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K74NYHMURwM . Although you probably know them already and I'm just being captain obvious here.

2. As for female vocals, The River might come close since they don't have anything "gothic" about them IMO, and rely more on heavy sound and heavy riffing, but - they're doing it more in a "rock" way than in "death doom" (i.e. no gloomy dark atmosphere), and include occasional soft parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFlXS9c3GMY

3. Did you hear Act of God "The Place of Worship"? It's not really doom, rather straight death metal, but is a unique album IMO - clean female vocals are used for all tracks, while apart from that it's a true death metal album (no melodic stuff). It's a bit rough around the edges in execution, but still, quite unique IMO. I have no idea why other bands won't play something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4AeorlH7rU

4. Also not exactly death doom, and filled with all kinds of vocals (male growls, male screams, female clean soprano, male clean choir), but still possibly interesting - Trail of Tears "A New Dimension Of Might".
Unlike their other albums this one is heavier and darker, and not "gothic", so maybe comes close-ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaI94xINBQk

+ bands like Cryptal Darkness, Ava Inferi, Diathra, Autumn Rain Melancholy and Trees of Eternity fall into "gothic" category I suppose...

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

^ I was familiar with all of those, except Act of God. The only thing I've heard that came close to that was Augury's first album, and even their female vocalist was used sparingly. Excellent stuff, thank you for sending me that!

I found a few lesser known bands that successfully combine death/doom metal riffs with female vocals.

The first would be Evictus. Their song "For Ever Tear" essentially sounds like what Anathema's first two albums would have sounded like with a female vocalist.

There's also this UK band known as Sorrows Fall, which isn't listed on this website. Their stuff is perfect; aggressive death/doomy metal with some really strong female vocals.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:00 am
Forum User

P.S. Did you hear Let it Flow?
It's in a way similar to that Evictus track, but they use more different vocals again and in general have more diversity.

Also Thalarion "Four Elements Mysterium" - that's an interesting release, but it also not dark in atmosphere.

And right, how could I forget On Thorns I Lay sophomore album "Orama" and Ashes You Leave "A Passage Back To Life" (+ maybe "Desparate Existence"). These should be close. Though I suppose you've heard those ones too already.

Also, few less relevant ones, but just in case:
- Odes Of Ecstasy "Deceitful Melody" - I like it myself but this one has rather happier sound.
- Twelfth Of Never "Things That Were" - it's rather light in sound, but has more "solemn" kind of sound. Also their vocalist is now in Shround of Bereavement, and I never checked out SoB much, but maybe this means they use more female vocs in their music, and that must be heavier doom AFAIK.

Last edited by sauron on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

P.P.S.
There's also a lesser known doom/death(?) band with clean male vocals called Choir Macabre.
They've only got one demo "A Chronicle of Paradox Dreams", it's a quite rough around the edges since it's a demo, sound-wise especially, but it's a decent stuff songwriting-wise.
I personally like it a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xSMcss6Q2A / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq4R5gtjGEA

Also on male clean vocals - what about Cultus Sanguine? I remember their "Sum of All Fears" didn't sound black metalish at all, though they're mentioned as gothic/black/doom on MA.
+ Sadness "Danteferno"/"Ames De Mabre" - not exactly clean vocals, not really death doom, but dark atmosphere is there for sure.

P.P.P.S (-:
Have you heard the demo of Ukrainian band Ірій (Irij) called "Легенда" ("The Legend")?
It's just 3 tracks, quite different ones, but worth checking out IMO (especially #3). Although it could qualify as gothic... well, anyway.
http://irij.ucoz.ru/sound/legenda/01-irij.mp3
http://irij.ucoz.ru/sound/legenda/02-volja.mp3
http://irij.ucoz.ru/sound/legenda/03-legenda.mp3
They've got more stuff than that, but rest is not so interesting in my opinion.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

^ Your recommendations just keep getting better, sauron! I'm very impressed!

One band that I'm surprised to have forgotten about is Black Lodge from Norway. Their album Covet lies pretty close to the kind of music Funeral was making at the time; funeral-paced death/doom metal with deep growls and solemn female singing. Very threatening and claustrophobic music.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:00 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Yep, "Covet" is a classic! :)

I have to thank you for recommending Sorrows Fall - great, addictive stuff! It seems they've only released this one demo... Any idea if it's available anywhere in physical (or even downloadable digital) format?

Will have to check out some of the other recommendations in this thread.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next