SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Just how much "Noise/Doom" is there, really? 
Forum User

Post Just how much "Noise/Doom" is there, really?

And where can I get more?

Bands like Halo are what I'm talking about here -- a rather brutally straightforward mixture of furious shouting, power electronics, and drone-doomy drum patterns. I guess you could also call it saturated minimalism, because almost nothing's there, but it fills every available space with jagged shards of sound. Too bad Halo's the only band doing it.

Or at least, so it seems. Given the fairly universally positive reception to their music (not to mention the fairly endemic affair noise and extreme metal in general have been having for a very long time now AS WELL as metal's almost stupefying obsession with "aural brutality"), I find it baffling that I cant find more crushingly abrasive and hateful music in the same vein.

Am I looking in the wrong places? Or is most of this kind of stuff buried under rather more vague genre labels than it deserves? Hunting on metal-archives for "doom noise" got me a bunch of lo-fi bands and a bunch of artists that keep their doom rather segregated from their noise. "Industrial doom" leads to more electronica influenced stuff, or more dark-ambient influenced stuff. (Yes, I've actually gone digging for most of the results.) Nothing on the harsh, aggressive, hatefully loud end of the spectrum.

Is there something out there I'm missing? Can you let me know?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:46 am
Forum User

Post Re: Just how much "Noise/Doom" is there, really?

Check out Skin Chamber. 1000 times better than Halo...
If you are into the noise factor more than the doom one, try checking out their second affair, called 'Trial'.
Or, how about the mother band from which they had come, namely Controlled Bleeding?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:07 am
Forum User

Have you heard The Human Quena Orchestra? Pretty aggressive, REEAALLLYYY slow, and very noisy. One of the loudest shows I've ever been to.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:19 am
Forum User

Ocean of Ghosts wrote:
Have you heard The Human Quena Orchestra? Pretty aggressive, REEAALLLYYY slow, and very noisy. One of the loudest shows I've ever been to.

I second that. Pretty much what you're looking for, a doom/harsh noise combo...

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:46 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

nullCassielle wrote:

Bands like Halo are what I'm talking about here -- a rather brutally straightforward mixture of furious shouting, power electronics, and drone-doomy drum patterns.

Although you seem not to trust the Indus Doom network, I'd suggest you look at it more closely; Zaraza, Philistine, PHOBOS and why not that more young band Old Witch share many similarities with Halo. Noise Doom would be Thrones and Khanate, but they lack the "über-crushing" factor. Far more mammothesque is The Nihilistic Front on the other hand.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Come to think of it, there's also that ugly beast that is Yhdarl; I wrote a review of one of its releases. Tough stuff for tough guys:

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:53 am
Forum User

Thanks for all the responses!

It's worth noting that I've heard most of these suggestions, however. Zaraza, Philistine, PHOBOS and Khanate are all among my favorite bands of any genre of all time, but they each lack the peculiar edge that Halo's music has. I'll get to that in a sec -- I'm not (quite) asking for just a clone band.

Skin Chamber is something I've known about (and enjoyed!) but simply isn't crushingly slow or aggressively "unmusical" enough. It's midpaced and sounds a bit like Big Black: great stuff, but nothing like what I'm looking for.

I completely forgot about The Human Quena Orchestra -- not entirely surprising, I heard them originally when they were fairly new and my tastes leaned more to EBM/synthpop. They very much do fall under the aegis of what I'm talking about here, thanks for the reminder!

Now, there were a fair number in Baphomet's excellent list that I did NOT know about. Old Witch sounds quite a bit like "more Khanate, hooray!" to my ears, if not quite as experimental. I'll take my twisted inhuman shrieking where I can get it in these hard times, however! Not quite what I'm after here though. Same with Thrones, although I've got to ask what the hell I'm hearing in that song -- because I love it and I want more of it and are all of their songs this wonderfully baffling?

I also didn't know about The Nihilistic Front. It reminds me strooongly of what I imagine would happen if you took Author & Punisher and locked him in a room with Khanate and Zaraza. Wailing feedback, cold digital drums. I'd say it fits, though it's a bit on the more "listenable" end of what I'm looking for.

Ah, but Yhdarl now: this is what I'm talking about, really. Feedback affecting the feedback. Nothing in the mix is safe, it's all jagged glass and collapsing reality. Long washes of just crashing white noise... yes, yes, I believe I will add this one to my permanent-fan-of list.

The Human Quena Orchestra, ESPECIALLY Halo and Yhdarl, and to a significantly lesser degree, The Nihilistic Front, have something in common here that I think makes a better explanation of what I'm talking about -- they use the framework of doom metal to make what is, almost literally, straight-up power electronics. These bands are so aggressively noisy that they can occasionally be thought of as exiting the realm of metal entirely for something altogether more harsh. They don't give you breathing room, and they certainly don't care about keeping you listening. That is, after all, up to the listener.

That's three plus one -- so far, so good. But it seems uncanny to me that there isn't far more of this kind of stuff. As I said before, harsh noise and metal have a (decently) intertwined history, and metal is absolutely infatuated with that mythical "infinitely brutal" sound. It seems extremely odd that there isn't more metal -- of any sort, but especially of doom -- which blurs the lines to the point of harsh noise and metal becoming inseparable. That's basically what I'm looking for -- not noise-rock influence (although I'll gladly take me some of that -- love some Swans and Big Black and etc. etc.) or chaotic songwriting or harsh-but-identifiably-metal sounds. No, I'm after noise-metal, the point where the two are no longer distinct parts, but have fused together into a homogenous mass of ear-mutilation.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

yes, Bapho is a genius... :D

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:39 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
yes, Bapho is a genius... :D

Such methods don't work with me.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:08 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Another insane project mixing the ugliest of Wormphlegm and Abruptum:

and yet another one for your enjoyment. Not exactly what you're looking for though, you'd have talked about a possible nightmarish version of Halo...Manash, this would have been the perfect rec:

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm
Forum User

I think he was referring to Halo, not Halo Manash...

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm
Forum User

Nivathe is a BEAUTY. Slots in nicely with the others!

I'm a big fan of the Helixes stuff, especially Dolorian and I.Corax, so Slowmantra is right up my alley too. As you said, not quite what I'm looking for, but very nice all the same. Arguably, it's death industrial meets some kind of doom metal -- I'm inclined to say funeral -- and so it fits the topic "loosely" in the same way as The Nihilistic Front, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:34 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

I would say Trees is a good candidate. May seem a bit too much like another Khanate, though.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:06 am
Forum User

Trees is pretty good (and has been something I've been listening to lately!) but is NOISY doom, not NOISE/doom -- if that makes any sense. It doesn't have the bonecrushing emphasis on distortion.

Probably the "purest" form of what I'm talking about is the Halo track 20,000 Tonnes of Machinery to Smash Matter -- the drums are little more than something to follow, everything else is hateful shouts and noise crushed underneath noise, with almost no musicality at all. Everything in that track serves the purpose of pulling the listener through an audio meatgrinder. You aren't meant to enjoy it, even in the vaguely masochistic sense of Khanate. You're supposed to drown in it, suffocate, wash up on a beach three years later to scare the children and confuse the police.

Possibly my favorite musical experience. If I had someone willing to play guitar and do some vocals (and who didn't mind something so aggressively anti-listener) I'd definitely be working on pieces like this. Pure formless destruction.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:36 am
Forum User

Holy Jesus The Nihilistic Front is some of the heaviest shit I've ever heard.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Another Godflesh-like pile of rusty anvils (love that kind of topics, it makes me discover new great bands!):

Black Sun

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:07 am
Forum User

Black Sun... I had checked a couple albums of theirs out, and was greeted with odd electronica stuff on one album and rather straightforward deathcore stuff on another. Looks like I need to give them a closer look!

For the record, I also looked into Gha:st (my laptop doesn't support umlauts or alt-codes) and they are certainly raw enough to fit the bill. Also: Dad They Broke Me can get quite close when they aren't wallowing in sludgy grindcore stuff. See below! Still rather upbeat for doom, though.

And then, Elu of the Nine. Can't find a youtube for them, which is SUCH a shame. Power electronics and drone-doom mixed -- quite literally (the project is "lead" by a power electronics artist from what I read). Intense, intense stuff. Beautiful.

And yes, that's one reason I've been looking for this stuff. The mining equipment isn't cheap, and you rarely get anything at all. But when you do, it's gold and diamonds. Nary a bad track to be found.

In the spirit of that, here are a couple bands I found in my own digging that don't quite fit. They tend to be more noise-rock influenced, but it comes out sounding rather lovely (in a filthy way) regardless.

Primitive Man. They have grindcore-paced outbursts at times but it's mostly filthy sludge stuff.

It Is I. They'd fit more if they weren't so adamant on separating their noise and their doom. Notice how the noise is just an intro. Regardless, very heavy stuff -- gives me kind of a Nihilistic Front vibe, in fact.

Hopefully someone enjoys these other than me.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Your mention of Ghäst made me rembember the split they did with Rape-X. Must be right up your alley:

https://myspace.com/hardcocaine/music/s ... 9-63784574

And another one to pervert Doom:

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Oh yeah, and fuck it never stops, I was reminded of Grave in the Sky by checking the band you're so keen about, Elu of the Nine (I saw the stuff was released on tape, now sold out and all the download links seem dead); anyway, I don't rememeber quite precisely where I found that name, but some Grave in the Sky's members did take part to a recent project... what's it's about I can't tell anymore! That's the problem when you go from one page to another, the info goes all muddled.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 pm
Forum User

What on earth is Lietterschpich? Sounds like fairly straightforward minimalist power electronics diddling -- the stuff connected to musique concrete, mostly -- with doom vocals/drums. This is LOVELY beyond words. Where on earth did you find it? I want all of it ever.

Apparently I forgot about Grave in the Sky as much as I forgot about The Human Quena Orchestra -- it definitely fits. I already knew about it though... just, put it out of my mind. Excellent music!

EDIT: I got my hands on more Lietterschpich from their bandcamp (lietterschpich.bandcamp.com). Ziz is my favorite track from them thus far. HOLY CRAP. It's like Halo ate a box full of amphetamines and bashed its head into a wall full of Whitehouse records for an hour. This is probably the most intense, unsettling, hatefully inhuman, unmusical, destructive audio experience imaginable.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next