Earth nature field

Look who's back!...

For discussion of doom metal in all its forms!

Moderator: The Staff

wyrd
Forum User

Look who's back!...

Post by wyrd »

For ye veterans out there...
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Za ... rth/636586
It reminds me I really need to listen again to the older recordings I have from the band. It's about time after what? 14 years since "No Paradise to Lose"?! And that Laibach cover was not bad either...
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Re: Look who's back!...

Post by baphomet »

Yeah, you don't check facebook, I know, but this unexpected return as been heralded on our own FB page a few days ago.
The daylight wanes; the night deepens; remember!
wyrd
Forum User

Post by wyrd »

baphomet wrote:Yeah, you don't check facebook, I know, but this unexpected return as been heralded on our own FB page a few days ago.
Have you listened to anything from their new material? Is it as good as their older stuff? And since when did they become a couple? I always thought it was a one-man project by that Polish/Canadian guy...
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

I heard the beginning of one song... I must say it left me rather cold. But should try again, when I'm in the right mood...
d.mimøsa
Senior Staff Member

Senior Staff Member

Post by d.mimøsa »

This project has never been particularly easy to get into. I must admit I had entirely forgotten about it. Interesting news, though!
Sidetrack Walker - Dark Pop for the faint of heart.
wyrd
Forum User

Post by wyrd »

d.mimøsa wrote:This project has never been particularly easy to get into. I must admit I had entirely forgotten about it. Interesting news, though!
Their latest recording, aforementioned above from 2003 was rather an accessible piece of industrial doom, nothing too avantgarde, but pretty well done and satisfying for the genre's aficionados. Check it out. Plus, there's a nice cover of Laibach there too.
d.mimøsa
Senior Staff Member

Senior Staff Member

Post by d.mimøsa »

I listened to it several times back then, but don't remember what it sounded like. Will dig out the MP3s...
Sidetrack Walker - Dark Pop for the faint of heart.
Zaraza
Forum User

Post by Zaraza »

Hey there...good to be back. You guys haven't changed the look and feel of this board since 2000....when Aldo used to run it around here.

Yeah, we have returned. Now split between Ecuador (me , Jacek) and Canada (Brian). The two original members of ZARAZA since day one, since 1993.

Different now. We did not want to continue our past, felt we had taken it as far as it can be taken with "No Paradise to Lose"

The arrival of the sludge genre in the 14 years we were away was a major influence on our reappearance.
I think we really belong there, with all our experimental/industrial atonal lineage.

Enjoy our video, a new one is in the works.
This is the new, uglier, nastier, dirtier, grittier Zaraza.

ZARAZA - experimental sludge/doom (1993-2005, 2015-Present)

New album "Spasms of Rebirth" out now:
http://zaraza.bandcamp.com

T-Shirts:
https://www.teepublic.com/user/zaraza
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

true it sounds a bit sludgier, but in all honesty, I prefer the cold indus doom of the previous stuff. It's only me though, I've read a very positive review of this new album on a French site, written by a guy who has been following you from the start, so, maybe it hasn't quite clicked with me yet.
Zaraza
Forum User

Post by Zaraza »

I understand...but we were done with that. I had no interest in returning and doing Slavic Blasphemy Part Deux.

Change is our raison d'etre, for better or worse.

T-Shirts:
wyrd
Forum User

Post by wyrd »

Zaraza wrote:I understand...but we were done with that. I had no interest in returning and doing Slavic Blasphemy Part Deux.

Change is our raison d'etre, for better or worse.

You've become poetic, my friend. At any rate, I liked the music; it does echo the earlier stuff but with a sludgy industrial coldness attributed to P.H.O.B.O.S. and Septic Mind's "RAV" from 2014 and such. Albeit too monolithic perhaps and same-y through the progression of the song, the aesthetic sound-wise kind of compensates for that fault.

I actually own both Slavic... and No Paradise... and it has been years since rotating those two, but I may do so soon celebrating this very curious comeback. So welcome, and good luck!
endemoniada_88
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by endemoniada_88 »

I'm just going to quote from the press release bio that I was sent:
"It is a head on collision of all the musical influences that have shaped ZARAZA: doom metal,
sludge metal, death metal, old-school 1980s industrial, experimental music.
No boundaries, no limits. Just doing our thing.
Sorry, no trendy 8-string, 9-string or 10-string guitars, sweeps, pinch harmonics, Steve Vai
worship, emo vocals, or hardcore tough guy swearing. We’re too old for that fucking shit. We
just want to make ugly, heavy music and prove to ourselves that we’re not dead yet."
As a mission statement, it's hard to fault!

I'm rather enjoying the album, perhaps just because it isn't an easy repeat of the earlier works. And definitely because it inspired me to dig out both Slavic Blasphemy and No Paradise To Lose to make sure...
>> ex silens nox noctis <<
Zaraza
Forum User

Post by Zaraza »

I couldn't repeat the old albums.

I hate it when bands get back together and go on tour and play some classic album from 20 years just to cash in on some nostalgia bullshit.

If you don't feel the same hunger you felt when you were 20 years, then go home. Get a rocking chair and wait to die.

Maybe we needed that 10+ years break.
But we're back now and the hunger in me is as strong as it ever was.

Zaraza is not back to cash in on some nostalgic memories of the 90s. Forget that.

T-Shirts: