Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
"A Lake Of Ghosts" - the Doom-metal.com MDB Tribute 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: "A Lake Of Ghosts" - the Doom-metal.com MDB Tribute

I guess what Mike has in mind is more webzines than newspapers....

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:29 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'd be happy with either...!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 pm
Forum User

Now it's "official" haha:

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:06 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

:beerchug:

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:24 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

:D

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:49 am
Forum User

I've had the album at home for a couple of days now. It's turned out really nice, congrats!

I also feel compelled to say that, in my opinion, Omit's 'Feel the Misery' is more beautiful than the original. They really did an amazing job with it.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:49 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

de Tuinman en de Dood wrote:
I've had the album at home for a couple of days now. It's turned out really nice, congrats!

Thanks very much!
Can't claim any credit for what bands did with their interpretations - that was all their own work, but we were very pleased with the sheer quality and variety of what they produced.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:20 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

de Tuinman en de Dood wrote:
I also feel compelled to say that, in my opinion, Omit's 'Feel the Misery' is more beautiful than the original. They really did an amazing job with it.

The more I've listened to it that's the conclusion I've come to as well. When I got the original album that song just didn't grab me but Omit have done something really special. They've made it their own, improved on the original and had it ringing round my head for days afterwards which is something the original never did. They deserve a lot of praise for that, and amazingly they weren't the only band on the tribute to do it either.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:18 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I must admit I misjudged that cover; it's very good. In fact, I'd like to hear the whole MDB catalogue revisited by a female singer! :D

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:33 am
Forum User

I also got very hooked by Hela's track. Seems like female vocals rule the world :D.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:56 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
I must admit I misjudged that cover; it's very good. In fact, I'd like to hear the whole MDB catalogue revisited by a female singer! :D

Not a bad idea. :)

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I agree, Omit's track is one of the highlights, and I think we couldn't have hoped for a better-suited opener. I'm not so much into the Hela track, on the other hand; it sounds a bit random to me.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:13 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

not random imo, maybe it lacks some bite though, still, very happy to have a female-fronted stoner doom act participating.

My favourite still is Forever Autumn's contribution.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Yes, that's a highly original offering indeed, I love it.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 am
Forum User

I like Forever Autumn's cover, but usually skip it while playing the record in its entirety as it is highly... let's say idiosyncratic, and interrupts the overall flow of the album for me. So when I feel like listening to it - I play the song separately.

My favourite tracks are:
- UDOM's one - although I'm biased, as I love the band, before hearing it I did not thought that his style would fit, but this is the song that got the biggest "wow" effect for me=)
- Dying Sun's one - although I'm not too fond of the band in general, I find this song very effective

And I second the notion that Omit's cover is better then the original (which sucks=) and an all-female tribute would be very interesting!

All in all - fantastic release, so do not try to run away from the credit, hehe=)))

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:56 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Damn, its beginning to look like we need to look at female-fronted doom for our next project... suggestions welcome as to what that should be? In the meantime, what do you really reckon to our MDB comp? We think we really nailed it as a non-MDB sounding clone, but is that what you wanted? What else do you think would be worth covering on similar - or different - terms? We're, loosely, your site, so we'll consider any direction that seems popular enough to override our own idiosyncratic take on the shape of modern doom...

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:39 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

....and since we're usually not too many sharing thoughts about music here, we can talk without the discussion becoming a total mess. So yes, be welcome to make us suggestions about what our next release could be...

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:29 am
Forum User

Well, for starters it's got to be a household name, so you are already working with limited possibilities already=)

Personally I'd love to see a Katatonia tribute - it might gather sufficient audience, but their sound, especially for the last 20 years, has been rather straightforward. So the only way this could work is if the bands are willing to experiment a lot with the songs and really reinvent them, otherwise it would suck for sure - you have to either play the songs as they are, or make them almost unrecognizable=)

Another idea is to make a "Peaceville Three" - tribute - it's a good household name, and allows for much diversity. Paradise Lost sucks, but there is a lot of market there (and lots of possibilities to do things better then them, hehe=)

A wet dream of mine would a The Cure - doom tribute. There are already lots of bands doing them (I had created a thread about The Cute doom covers quite a while ago) and most of them are fantastic. You have plenty of material to choose from, and they are surely an influence to lots of bands. They are well-known in your target audience and if you manage to "catch" even a tiny portion of their regular fans for the novelty value - it could work. But if you need to pay royalties for the right to cover these songs - then it would be a definitive no-go.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:42 pm
Forum User

As for the tributes in general - personally I'd love the cover to be as far away from the original as possible.

But I think more faithful covers sell more easily - it's more accessible for the listener, and the general flow of the album is also much more fluent - if we take the Forever Autumn cover - it's the song that sticks out the most - and while this is a good thing for the song itself, an album with really diverse material is usually harder to listen to. Who really listens to the labels' sampler compilation albums on a daily basis?

I'd still rather have diverse, unrecognizable songs, but I'm afraid that the target audience will shrink a lot with such approach.

Still, the MDB album managed to hit a very sweet spot, which shows that you could do this thing properly=))

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:51 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks for the detailed suggestions and feedback...

klamerin wrote:
Personally I'd love to see a Katatonia tribute - it might gather sufficient audience, but their sound, especially for the last 20 years, has been rather straightforward. So the only way this could work is if the bands are willing to experiment a lot with the songs and really reinvent them, otherwise it would suck for sure - you have to either play the songs as they are, or make them almost unrecognizable=)

I've got one of those faithful Katatonia tributes. Some good bands on it, but they played it very safe, and just stuck to the first couple of albums for sources...so, well, I pretty much never listen to it.

klamerin wrote:
Another idea is to make a "Peaceville Three" - tribute - it's a good household name, and allows for much diversity. Paradise Lost sucks, but there is a lot of market there (and lots of possibilities to do things better then them, hehe=)

We've sort of blown that by going straight in with one of the three already. Though a trilogy does have some appeal, and we had quite a few interesting bands comment that they'd be willing to work on either a PL or an Anathema project.

klamerin wrote:
A wet dream of mine would a The Cure - doom tribute.

Possibly not as mad as it sounds :D . Though, even as an old Goth, I personally think the Cure suck on everything outside of '17 Seconds' :laugh: .
We would have to pay royalties, but that's true of any and all cover versions. It's not ridiculously expensive licensing something like a single run of physical pressings, though. The problems come if you want to distribute them digitally, or participants want to do things like make their contribution available for streaming - basically, every single instance of those have to be covered separately by a royalties agreement. That's one reason why we're not offering any sort of stream/download version - it's a bit of a headache as far as publicity/marketing is concerned, but it's not an absolute deal-breaker for a similar physical product.

klamerin wrote:
Still, the MDB album managed to hit a very sweet spot, which shows that you could do this thing properly=))

Well, that's one of the things we were looking to prove to ourselves. And that's why we invited particular bands instead of throwing it open, as I've seen elsewhere, to general submissions. A bit of beginner's luck, perhaps :) , but it did end up surprisingly well-balanced.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next