A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
"A Lake Of Ghosts" - the Doom-metal.com MDB Tribute 
Forum User

Post Re: "A Lake Of Ghosts" - the Doom-metal.com MDB Tribute

endemoniada_88 wrote:
By the way, abigail - since this is kinda all your fault, have you ordered a copy yet?

I'm actually curious enough to see what you reckon to the final result that I'll send you a freebie to find out! PM me with an address, if so...

sincere thanks for the generous offer... in a weird and miraculous way, a copy has found its way to me, it's right next to my desk as I'm typing this :)

I really really liked it, holding the digi in my hands and noticing the attention that went into it, the artwork, layout, booklet, etc. were very impressive. I'm honestly thinking of asking d-m.com to oversee our next album :D

I'll second most of the feedback on this thread, Omit's cover giving new life to a song I didn't care that much for, Forever Autumn's being really "out there", etc. I would have liked to see some "trad doom" bands try on some songs, but, knowing first hand the divided world of doom metal, I can't hold it against you in any way...

I'm holding my breath til you've sold all copies, as pressing HQ CDs was not in my initial "proposal", but I'm really happy (and partly flattered) that you made something so big out of it... I sincerely hope it pays off, and it marks the beginning of a new venture for the site...

:)

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:56 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

abigail wrote:
I would have liked to see some "trad doom" bands try on some songs, but, knowing first hand the divided world of doom metal, I can't hold it against you in any way...

we tried, with not much success... :D

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 pm
Forum User

I just realized that my comment could've been read in diff ways, so... yes, I know, that's what I meant... lots of "trad" bands perceive MDB as "the enemy" :/ and some who don't, still wouldn't "cross the line" to the point of covering one of their songs :// maybe one day.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:30 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Sadly, we had some Trad bands onboard during the early stages of the project (we really did want to include the whole Doom spectrum), and for various reasons - mostly bad luck - they all ended up having to pull out. With hindsight, we should've taken more time and attention in lining up replacements from the same genre...it wasn't a conscious omission, just the ways things ended up.

Anyways:
abigail wrote:
sincere thanks for the generous offer... in a weird and miraculous way, a copy has found its way to me, it's right next to my desk as I'm typing this :)

I really really liked it, holding the digi in my hands and noticing the attention that went into it, the artwork, layout, booklet, etc. were very impressive. I'm honestly thinking of asking d-m.com to oversee our next album :D

I'll second most of the feedback on this thread, Omit's cover giving new life to a song I didn't care that much for, Forever Autumn's being really "out there", etc. I would have liked to see some "trad doom" bands try on some songs, but, knowing first hand the divided world of doom metal, I can't hold it against you in any way...

I'm holding my breath til you've sold all copies, as pressing HQ CDs was not in my initial "proposal", but I'm really happy (and partly flattered) that you made something so big out of it... I sincerely hope it pays off, and it marks the beginning of a new venture for the site...

:)

It's good to hear you've had a chance to see it in the flesh, and thanks for the feedback, that's greatly appreciated. I'm glad you prodded us into doing it, and, regardless of the commercial results, we were all agreed it wouldn't be right to take a cheaper route with the packaging. We've shifted just over half of them, one way or another, so I'm pretty pleased with the outcome so far!

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:28 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Sadly, we had some Trad bands onboard during the early stages of the project (we really did want to include the whole Doom spectrum), and for various reasons - mostly bad luck - they all ended up having to pull out. With hindsight, we should've taken more time and attention in lining up replacements from the same genre...it wasn't a conscious omission, just the ways things ended up.

I must have been asleep at that point... :p

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:34 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
I must have been asleep at that point... :p

It was probably the mention of 'trad' which did that :D But we had the likes of Mammoth Storm (their studio flooded) and Pale Divine (fuck knows what actually went wrong there) lined up. I'm pretty glad Hela stepped up to the plate, but I'd have certainly preferred more 'trad legitimacy' within the project. I do see it as a more 'live and learn' experience than anything else, tho' - even if the result reinforces any view that we, as a site, are more about extreme genres than anything else. I don't even think that's particularly true...and if it's a perceived thing, it certainly isn't an intentional one...

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:58 am
Forum User

How did you manage to overcome the digital license issues in order to upload it and sell it through bandcamp?

Listening to the album today, I cannot help but wonder how well it turned out! You should really put your collective expertise to further use and continue with such endeavors=)))

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:33 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
You should really put your collective expertise to further use and continue with such endeavors=)))

And become homeless in the meantime... :p

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:50 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

haha! Yeah, I've been eating pasta for months now...

Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:52 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
How did you manage to overcome the digital license issues in order to upload it and sell it through bandcamp?

I asked Bandcamp what was necessary to meet with their requirements concerning covers, then paid through the nose for what I hope to hell is the correct combination of mechanical (for downloads) and digital (for streaming) PRS licenses!

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:12 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Nice review (in Hungarian):

http://www.femforgacs.hu/kritika/3879/A_Lake_of_Ghosts_the_long_shadow_of_My_Dying_Bride_2016.

Summarised as CD1 9/10, CD2 7/10.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:19 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

From what I've translated, this is a rather good review. He took the time to listen to the whole carefully. It's true that it's a weird beast that doesn't lend itself easily to this exercise.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Couple more reviews from actual print magazines - InRock (8/10) and Hammerworld (9/10). Of course you'll need to speak Russian and Hungarian respectively to get very much out of them, and being print copies the best I could do was scan and pdf...
Anyway, they can be found with all the links at http://www.doom-metal.com/news.php?entry=2102.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:34 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Excellent news! It's rather strange that it's getting some recognition in Eeastern Europe, but hardly any recognition elsewhere, particularly in the English-speaking world...

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:34 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Having toured Europe a few times, I am not surprised - those are the countries where people turn up to (none Stoner/Sludge/Hipster as fuck) Doom shows as well.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Quote:
in order to avoid any accusations of "pure mimetism", it will feature exclusively ska, shoegaze, polka and freeform jazz bands

Is this true or a joke? I guess it is true because I didn't recognize even one band in the list :drool:

Sun May 06, 2018 1:28 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's a joke.

They're all genuine doom bands selected from genres outside MDB's Death/Gothic/Doom range in order to show how much of an influence MDB have had on the whole Doom scene.

If you want to listen to it, it's on Bandcamp:

Sun May 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Forum User

endemoniada_88 wrote:
It's a joke.

They're all genuine doom bands selected from genres outside MDB's Death/Gothic/Doom range in order to show how much of an influence MDB have had on the whole Doom scene.

If you want to listen to it, it's on Bandcamp:

Sounds awesome, thanks

Mon May 07, 2018 5:53 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Good to see people are still talking about (and hopefully listening to) it!

Mon May 07, 2018 6:24 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

...and even buying it: I still get a couple of album orders a month through Bandcamp...

Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next