Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Opinions on Primitive Man - Caustic? 
Forum User

Post Opinions on Primitive Man - Caustic?

Not sure how I feel about the music beyond the vocals, but the latter are almost as vicious and intense as that of The Body.

The two "censored" videos they put up on youtube seemed like a lame attempt at gaining attention by stirring up fake controversy. I saw Relapse do the same thing with another band and hope that that's not a direction they're going to be taking now... I watched part of the one for "Victim" and it was so disgusting that I turned it off before even the halfway point.

Anyhow, what do y'all think of this album?

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Post Re: Opinions on Primitive Man - Caustic?

I'm not a fan of the band, but the album is pretty enjoyable when it does not go too fast. I find the vocals rather normal - the typical sludge affair and I cannot compare them to the extreme screeching of the The Body=) The best part are the guitars which have a blackened feel, not too common in sludge. The noise parts suck though.

As for the ad campaign, personally I try to ignore gimmicks as much as possible and I wouldn't expect any intelligent approach either from the band or from the label (I'd even go as far as to claim that the less you know about the artist behind the music the better=)))

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 pm
Forum User

klamerin wrote:
I'm not a fan of the band, but the album is pretty enjoyable when it does not go too fast. I find the vocals rather normal - the typical sludge affair and I cannot compare them to the extreme screeching of the The Body=) The best part are the guitars which have a blackened feel, not too common in sludge. The noise parts suck though.

As for the ad campaign, personally I try to ignore gimmicks as much as possible and I wouldn't expect any intelligent approach either from the band or from the label (I'd even go as far as to claim that the less you know about the artist behind the music the better=)))

Seems more intense than most sludge I've heard. Not quite at the level of the Body, but in that direction, imo.

I don't enjoy black metal anymore outside of the occasional listen to Mayhem's material with Dead, so I'm not sure how I feel about the guitars.

And yeah, I get what you mean about the less you know about an artist, the better, but as someone involved in promotion and occasionally booking... screw that. When you have to deal with someone who's an asshole (especially if they treat their fans poorly!!!!), that can ruin it for you. And if music is made by an absolutely terrible person, that's going to come through. Same with any kind of art. And I don't like supporting people like that. The argument could be made that if you don't listen to or watch anything by bad people, there'll be nothing out there for you, but that attitude only enables terrible people to keep being terrible to others. So fuck that. That said, I have no reason to think Primitive Man are terrible people. Just that they have a corny gimmick.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

It's a great album when I'm looking for brutality (I don't like death metal really).

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:18 pm
Forum User

I think it's a great album. I'll be seeing them live in a few weeks. I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Experimental Doom Metal
https://hallowedbutchery.bandcamp.com

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

It's a great album, great live band and actually very nice people.

I didn't find the video corny at all, it wasn't exactly what I envision when I listen to their music but it certainly didn't offend me. Ugly music should have ugly visuals, and it's certainly a breath of fresh air to hear a sludge band write about something other than bongs, wizards and amps.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 pm
Forum User

Frozen Flesh Funeral wrote:

I didn't find the video corny at all, it wasn't exactly what I envision when I listen to their music but it certainly didn't offend me. Ugly music should have ugly visuals, and it's certainly a breath of fresh air to hear a sludge band write about something other than bongs, wizards and amps.

You can say that again. So sick of that shtick!

Experimental Doom Metal
https://hallowedbutchery.bandcamp.com

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Angry music for angry people. I used to like that kind of stuff, now it's only in small dosis... As said above though, I can do without the grind/noisy parts, the rest is as crushing and mean as you'd want it to be when you need your fix.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:35 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's Caustic indeed...

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am
Forum User

Frozen Flesh Funeral wrote:

I wasn't insinuating that they were bad people. That discussion was about something else.

Quote:

Agreed about ugly music having ugly visuals. Just not something I enjoy and I feel like the way Relapse has been marketing stuff has been pretty corny; "CENSORED VIDEO!!!!". It just seems exploitative of the bands. Are there even uncensored versions of them? "TOO HOT FOR TV"??? LOL

Btw I don't care about wizards and amps, but I totally agree with you on bongs. That's gotten pretty old...

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Yes there are uncensored versions of the videos. I'm pretty sure that is all Relapse though, it's one of those "take it for the team" compromises a band has to make by signing to a major.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:54 am
Forum User

Gotcha. And I figured as much - it is Relapse, after all...

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]